Mid-Michigan Easy Living

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by simbaboy, Jun 12, 2015.

1. simbaboy

simbaboy Lansing MBS Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will try.
    But want to hike to the Tower Arch this time.
    The 'other way' is fairly easy but we need to know what the obstacle is all about.
    Imu

[​IMG]
    sealsam and ScotsFire like this.
  2. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    When it comes to riding The TOW Trail or Poison Spider or any of the shit you want me to, look at the pic below:
    @ScotsFire @WYO George

[​IMG]
  3. WYO George

WYO George I have no idea

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure about this year, but it's possible. We are doing a Moab/Monument Valley/Grand Canyon/Zion trip the first half of June with our campers and wives and my children so I'm not sure if we can make a run down for a couple days of Moab before then or not. It's certainly possible, but it's something I haven't really looked at yet in terms of scheduling. When we have the families we'll be renting a pair of Jeeps and doing WRT so the kids and ladies can see what we talk about all the time. We'll do Onion Creek and Chicken Corners as well, but use our trucks for those since they are easy drives. The trucks could make WRT too, but there's no use in abusing a 9,000 pound diesel truck when jeeps are so cheap to rent!

That's awesome! I'm saving that one for sure. Speaking of training, I'm about half done with building a training circuit in my back yard with obstacles of various sizes, rock garden, sand pit and a few small jumps/ditches for off season training. I'll post up some pics and maybe a video or two when I get it finished. It'll give us something to do in the winter on days when it gets above 30 degrees or so and the wind dies down to a mild roar. Off season training is good no matter your skill level.
    sealsam, ScotsFire and simbaboy like this.
  4. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    I’ll have to bring the WR450 down for some test laps.

And you really have to show up. I’m not sure I can browbeat Imu enough on my own.
  5. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    After working all night and a short nap this morning it was a good time to go for a Fall ride.

Colors are changing and the scooter is the only bike with ongoing Insurance. All the other bikes are either uninsured or in storage mode. The current street tires do well and the suspension is adequate.

I had to cut the ride short after about 25 Miles as it got cool and it started drizzling.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ScotsFire and sealsam like this.
  6. ScotsFire

ScotsFire And then a drifter rode into town... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here and there... but more there than here
    Can you stand on the “pegs” on that? If not, you winterized the wrong scooter.
    crownhorse, simbaboy and WYO George like this.
  7. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    :imaposer:kat
  8. WYO George

Oddometer:
    As long as he wears out a set of bicycle tires this winter, it doesn’t matter which scooter he putts around on. :ricky
    villageidiot, ScotsFire and simbaboy like this.
  9. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    ........but, but its soooo cold to ride!

Climbing 10 flights of stairs every single day at work.

I have already dropped 10 pounds in less than 3 weeks and sleeping better as have cut out all extra calories in the evening. The waist size has decresed a few inches as well. So moving in the right direction. Leg strength improving but will need to find something for upper body conditioning.

Imu
  10. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    BTW: something on its way to Michigan.
    Should be here Friday. Yeah.
    :happay
    sealsam and WYO George like this.
  11. WYO George

Oddometer:
    Great start friend!! The bike is about more than exercise though, it’s balance and coordination development too! Get a balance board to use indoors this winter. It’ll help a lot and then get outside when the temps rise above freezing.
    drhippie2, ScotsFire and simbaboy like this.
  12. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's room in the garage?

What color is it?
    simbaboy likes this.
  13. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    Not really--no room in the garage.
    I will have to store a couple of bikes in my enclosed trailer sitting at my In-Laws.
    Then, next year I will sell off 1-2 bikes that no longer fit my needs.
    I have acquired Tae's WR250R. The plan is to have a Rekluse clutch installed together with some other mods.
    Probably will keep the DR350SE and the TW200 for sure (I have the DR350SE for sell but not really pushing it).
    Imu

[​IMG]

Love the Dr350SE below. Its a good, simple, always reliable bike.
    [​IMG]

The DRZ400S has been the best dual sport to date. Just want to try a lighter bike with fuel injection.
    [​IMG]
    sealsam likes this.
  14. WYO George

Oddometer:
    I may have to have you give that 350 a one way ticket south this spring. . .
  15. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMHO, out of all the bikes you picture/post, the dr350 is the best one.

tw200 too slow
    Drz400, fucked up ergos, weird trans gear spacing
    wr250, gotta wring it’s neck to haul ass, also heavy ish for power.

Dr350, SLIGHTLY down on power to the 400, more power than the tw or the wr, Has as much suspension as the 250, 6 gears, air/oil cooled, 4 valve head, and the EZ button. It’s biggest downfall is not a lot of aftermarket this day n age, and the swing arm flexes a good bit, probably not at IMU’s race pace, but I could feel it when I had mine.
  16. sealsam

sealsam Sam...I am. Supporter

Oddometer:

Congratulations Imu.

Pretty sure that is it on the left when Tae had the super tank on it, this was back in '13. You & @RedRockRider strategizing.

How'd ya get it? Shipped?

[​IMG]
    Chillis, simbaboy and WYO George like this.
  17. Padilen

Padilen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Most of those are personal. Except for weights. The TW isn't to slow, until speed is needed. As DRZ for ergos, different riders bodies different bars etc. One common mod for the TW is ATV hi bars. I personally didn't like them. Not on my TW and not on my DRZ. Power and weight, can depend on weight of rider and the power in right wrist. .
    I guess boring mediocre bikes are the sweet spot for me. I'd take any or all the bikes mentioned. I need another DRZ. I said if I missed mine, I'd get another. Not for off-road dirt. It's to top heavy for me for that. But it's a TW that can go over 65 on the M roads. I've been looking. Talked one seller into keeping theirs. Had one to look at this weekend, I cancelled. Higher priced than what I can come up with. I tried!
    Warmer weekend is forecasted, hope to color hunt. On the mighty, awesome TW.
    drhippie2 and simbaboy like this.
  18. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    That's the one. I rode Tae's WRR that day and I liked it a lot.

I used Uship --I put my maximum amount I was willing to pay. There was a bidding war for my business. Most wanted $600 but I had one trucker headed to Ontario, Canada who accepted total cost of $380. I think that is fair. I could have picked.it up myself next year but wanted to have it now so I can have mods done.

I really like the DRZ. Its a perfect bike for me. But if I get a good price for it and if I like the WRR more, I will sell it. Rekluse, Corbin seat, brand new fatty tires, luggage system, etc what's not to like.

My riding skills and needs are very modest. So what Colby is saying is true but really does not apply to me. None of my dual sport bikes are meant for street nor are they pure dirt bikes. My dual sport bikes are just that. I have them geared towards more dirt than street. Even my TW200 has plenty of power for my needs but the suspension and brakes are somewhat lacking for Moab use. The TW is perfect for Michigan farm gravel roads.

If had to make a choice for a single bike right now, it would easily be the DRZ. Any of the Burgmans are perfect for street rides.

So getting the WR250R delivered this afternoon. I have high hopes for it. I already got a Yamalink for it. Tae has new tires and gear train including dirt oriented sprockets. So I will save money there. The seat should be okay as the WRR is only for Moab use--not long distance riding. But will see in the future, if an after market seat is needed.

The single most expensive mod will be the Rekluse--its $600 plus labor. But it might be worth it as I like slow technical hill climbs without fear of stalling the bike. It also helps for Moab sand riding.

I am on call every single weekend in October. That is what you get for playing hard during the summer months when my partners are working. Can't complain too much, I guess.

Imu
    ScotsFire and WYO George like this.
  19. simbaboy

Oddometer:
    This was waiting for me on the driveway when I got home:
    I knew the bike had a large ?Safari tank on the WR250R but this thing is humongous. At 70 MPG I doubt I would need more than 2.5G (WRT) in Moab.

[​IMG]

Then, I was surprised at the almost new Pirelli aggressive dirt tires (front and rear), Seat Concepts Seat (love it already when I went for my ride around the block), look at the wide pegs (encouraging for me to get on the pegs), side racks, heavy duty skid plate, extra lights, new chain and sprockets, and more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

why would I need to carry more fuel!
    [​IMG]

like new Pirelli tires:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Took it for a ride and did not find it too tall at all. However, I do already have the Yamalink to lower it:
    [​IMG]
  20. WYO George

Oddometer:
    Congrats brother. It’s always a good day when you get a new bike.