Mid North Coast NSW

Discussion in 'Australia' started by RowBust, Sep 20, 2019.

1. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just spent 5 days riding around the area doing re location homework , on the 1200adv on road tyres so all sealed roads other than Coramba rd , Kalang etc, rode into a few fire trails but looking slippery for me so kept off them, however the country looks as good as I have ever seen it over the years, huge Angus cattle feasting on lush grass, other than obvious fire damage near Guy Fawkes, Ebor etc. Never seen Bellingen with so many people in the town before, motels etc are doing good trade .:*sip*
  2. The Fireman

The Fireman Livin the dream!!!

Oddometer:
    Just Back from 6 days riding, Gloucester to Taylors Arm , Via - Bundook- Ellenbrough Falls -goanna Rd -Knoddingbul Rd.(was like a Hwy all the way)
    Forbes River Rd, over Mt Boss- Mt Banda Banda- Kookaburra to Willawarrin and Taylors Arm.
    Taylors to Bowraville the Horseshoe trial to Thora and Up to Dorrigo.
    Home via Ebor to Georges Junction Kempsey then Maria River Rd
    Day around Bago-Rollover - Big Nellies- Coopernook- Crowdy Bay
    Final Leg to Gloucester was Via Comboyne- Mt George - Bundook.
    I then came back to the coast on Tipparary Rd to Krambach - Wingham Yarrat - Lansdowne, Coopernook First Camp and a Quick blast up the A1 to get home.
    All Roads are in great condition, few diverts around Bridges that are out.
    Great week with Awsome Mates!!!!
    vagueout, aspad, Adventurepig and 3 others like this.
  3. Hollalegs

Hollalegs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That would have been a good week fireman. Glad to see people using our area.
    The Fireman likes this.
  4. CJL00

CJL00 Who said top boxes are useless?

Oddometer:
    How was the Armidale to Kempsey road through Bellbrook. Armidale council website states the road is closed to all but locals with lots of work happening. Live Traffic RMS site says it is open to high clearance 4wd only. Poor buggers who live up there had the fires early January which kept shutting the road then late January had a large rain/storm event which locals say dumped over 200mm in a few hours. Landslides from that fully closed the road for over three months.
  5. Spots

Spots Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I might have to pick your collective brains - Normally when I ride down to Newey for family christmas I take a string of super-wiggly sealed roads from Brisbane to Newcastle, but this time I'm tempted to try to do big chunks of it on unsealed roads.

Brisbane to Grafton I think I'm on top of (i.e. the Clarence Way). From there, conceptually, Grafton -> Dorrigo -> Mt Seaview -> Nowendoc -> Newcastle (??). Any recommended unsealed routes? (especially Grafton -> Dorrigo, and Nowendoc -> Newcastle)

I'm piecing some options together from TransAustralia Trails but it's always hard to gauge how sketchy a track might be from mapping software. Or if it's even a legal road today.

Will be on a 1250 GS with luggage, solo, on knobblies.
  6. CJL00

Oddometer:
    Personally, if I was planning that trip, think about this https://goo.gl/maps/tCjbACMayzHFEkMVA followed by https://goo.gl/maps/M5J1gZELo83ANU1g8. Depends on the amount of time you have and how challenging you want to make it. These two options are possible on a large bike with luggage and after rain, providing it doesn't cause flooding that is.
    aspad and Spots like this.
  7. Spots

Spots Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ahhh, I see. Yeah, skirt around along the top of the range. That's not a bad suggestion to consider, cheers.

The gentleman at Tyres 4 Bikes mentioned there being a hellishly steep section at Nowendoc (presumably on the west side of Thunderbolts Way), which sounds best avoided...
  8. CJL00

Oddometer:
    It can become a real zig zag trying to follow the coast and the tracks can get very steep and technical very quick. They are also more effected by weather. The roads I have shown on those maps are all very safe and normally accessible by any vehicle.
    Spots likes this.
  9. Rider 101

Rider 101 Time poor

Oddometer:
    Not much on the west side of Thunderbolt's. Try back tracking from Nowendoc to New Country Swamp then head down Enfield Range to the Nowendoc - Mt George Rd then on to Gloucester. Enfield is one of my favourite rides especially coming downhill. Doable even in the wet as there are no creek crossings.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/...3a1f0!2m2!1d151.95875!2d-32.0233309!3e0?hl=en
    Spots likes this.
  10. CJL00

Oddometer:
    I haven't been down Enfield as I enjoyed the Nowendoc road that much I kept using it. you have just given me a mission now, head down that way for an overnight run and do both in a loop. Challenge accepted!
    Cruz and Rider 101 like this.
  11. workhorse

workhorse Motorcycle as a medium of travel

Oddometer:
    Walcha to Gloucester
    via Niangala Hanging Rock Glenrock Tomalla
    Was there 2 weeks ago all great roads. The creek crossings will be up after rain but go down pretty quick. beautiful.
    Maybe my favourite loop from home
    aspad likes this.
  12. aspad

aspad Empty Suit

Oddometer:
    What is your route connecting Niangala to Hanging Rock. Drop down to Nundle or via Dungowan Dam?
    thanks
  13. workhorse

Oddometer:
    I was in the 4wd and asked a bloke about the road to dungowan dam being no through. I and he weren't clear as to whether he meant it's no through for 4wds and not bikes. So via Nundle. Great coffee/donut shop set up in a container.
    If it's too wet take the Crawney driver the Crawney NP and it comes out at Ellerston golf park and then onto Noonan Flat pub
    aspad likes this.
  14. workhorse

Oddometer:
    Dungowan dam Rd turns to Pearson's trail takes you to Forest way to Nundle.
    I thought you meant the small no through Rd to the dam.itself.
    aspad likes this.
  15. aspad

aspad Empty Suit

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. Never done that particular route. Been all around Nundle many time on the better known tracks. Time to start filling in some of the blanks on the map!
  16. The Fireman

Oddometer:
    Hay CJL road was great, grader had just been through, there was a fair bit of traffic on it,
    Yep the whole Mid North Coast copped a toasting, I spent a few solid months at work, chasing it around the hills.
  17. The Fireman

Oddometer:
    Hi Spots Dorrigo to Gloucester
    you could d the Kempsey to Armidale Rd via Bellbrooke, then back roads to wauchope, up the oxley Hwy to Knodingbul Rd,Or Enfield Range rd down to Mt George, Bundook, to Gloucester
    Then Gloucester there is a few different options- West up over Barrington Tops to Moonan Flat, then pick a track to Newie, or south from Gloucester to waukivory, Markwell to Bulla.
    All these roads very do'able on a 1250,
    hope this helps Ya, enjoy the ride!!!
    Cheers...
    Spots likes this.
  18. vagueout

vagueout Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some unsolicited trivia re the hamlet of Bellbrook on the Kempsey to Armidale road, was the last horse only police station in NSW, the constable there was supplied with a Land Rover in 1963, but still hung onto his horses regardless. He only died this year, I had the pleasure of chatting with him on Australia Day some years back.:*sip*
  19. Suncoaster

Suncoaster Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where the girls are green and the grass is pretty.
    There's a picture of the Bellbrook pub on google street view with a few bikes out front.
    Looks like a good place.
    222.JPG 111.JPG
  20. CJL00

Oddometer:
    Out the back is nicer, gentle slope down to the river. You can cross the river by bridge just down the road and there are great roads winding back into the forests South and East towards Kempsey/Port. Lots of public access gates though, a small section that looks like a paddock and one super slippery causeway, moss is about 2 inches thick when we went through and as very few other vehicles do there is no scrubbed/cleared section.

Funny story from the first trip through there. I plotted it on the GPS and had one mate following who didn't have a GPS. He did have a new intercom system that he fitted to my helmet, a first for me. Anyway, we get to the bit which was seriously just a paddock, I am following the line on the GPS, crest a hill and look out over another paddock and mumble to myself "where the fucking hell are we", forgetting the intercom. I quickly hear back "that isn't what I want to hear from the bloke with the GPS".
    The Fireman and Suncoaster like this.