Mid-State-Trail - Massachusetts

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by JPMartin86, Aug 27, 2017.

?

Is any one in doing a group ride on this route Oct. 15th 2017?

Poll closed Oct 29, 2017.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Maye

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JPMartin86

JPMartin86 When in doubt throttle out...

Oddometer:
    I wish you the best on the trip. The southern section is a breeze and is mostly tarmac. Once you get into the Auburn/Oxford area the trials are just that, Trails! Its wide enough for an ATV but much more technical than your typical logging road. As you get closer to central mass, it is more like the TMT, but by the time you hit Westminster/Ashburnham your back into more trail systems.
  2. jojojones

jojojones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks...It's still on my todo list.
  3. evanparker

evanparker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks! i an now going this saturday. Should be awesome.
  4. MADS

MADS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OvrLander likes this.
  5. evanparker

evanparker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    so I did this trip yesterday, and while most of it was just divine, and superbly fun and have some input.

The northern sections were all rightly technical, for my 320 lb bike and my low riding level! it had just rained so the trail started the day slippery AF. I slipped on this very gooey log i thought was a rock maybe.

[​IMG]

going through the water was fun. i abhor people who take vertical phone videos and I apologize, i didn't have any other way to video myself doing it than that lol.

there are a number of trail sections that didn't work out.

The first was a section through "Bigelow rd"? something like that, but i'm not remembering perfect. But the sign stated it was closed.

[​IMG]

There was a section through a Farm with a PRIVATE ROAD DO NOT ENTER SIGN that simply cut through the farmer's fields maybe 2000 feet and stopped. I think the road was HK DAVIS RD in Charlton MA, and the latter section of it didn't even go through to the other side. The other side of this, which i found in a residential neighborhood, it's the families driveway. So maybe not so good for motorcycleing down. This was down a few miles before the WHITTIER farm stand. I can't believe i drove through there like a jerk to have to come back like that. I feel like such an asshole :-D

[​IMG]

There was a section through the Oxford state forest, which isn't even open on a Sunday, and there were a number of rangers at both entrances anyways, busting people who had snuck in, so i didn't even bother.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Regardless of this minor foibles, the trip really was excellent for me and my CRF250L. It was much more exciting than the Trans Mass Trail, especially the northern dirt semi technical sections. If you ask me, some of those boring long immaculate dirt but flat open street roads on the TMT are kind of a snore on something that isn't a touring bike. This one had much more excitement! Super.

I think i'm going to try to ride up there every couple weeks regularly. There are definitely some superb sections up there that tend to overshadow also fun sections in the southern part.

Thanks SO MUCH FOR POSTING IT! I had so much fun.

[​IMG]
    Dillo likes this.
  6. MADS

MADS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it has a name it is a road. A lot of property owners would try to take unused roads as their own. Where did the road stop? Near the bottom? I might go there early tomorrow morning to check it out.
    zonth likes this.
  7. OvrLander

OvrLander n00b

Oddometer:
  8. evanparker

evanparker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm only making the assumption something is wrong under the assumption that i hopefully was on the gps track the right way, and hadn't bungled the GPSing in my phone.

Right at the 'signal rock farm", about 100 feet into towards driveway, the road had the private road sign, petering out into the hay fields. the fields were pretty rough road, and had some enormous whoops under the brush and stuff. it was kind of fun.

about half way though the field path it became completley overgown and impassable.
  9. evanparker

evanparker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i would also add that there is a really cool little local dirt bike park off Lyford st in Spencer. I went off-route to go look at it. there is a right turn right before the railroad track to go into the state forest road there, but the opposite side there is an entrance to a dumpy looking little sandy road. when you go in there, there are tons of sand and rock piles that are abandoned, and overgrown. tons and tons of ATV and dirt bike tracks around. The whole thing might go in for a mile.

Lots of cheap beer cans indicates a total teenager dirt bike meetup spot :-D

there is kind of a half hearted very light chain up at handle bar height across the road at some point, but is very very easily lifted up to gain entrance.

[​IMG]

https://www.google.com/maps/place/42°12'55.0"N+72°00'13.1"W/@42.215268,-72.0041872,119m/
    earguy likes this.
  10. zonth

zonth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    THIS. Bloody annoying
  11. zonth

zonth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks JPMartin86 for your efforts. Looks like this has grown from your original mapping central Ma ride.
    I started from the south.
    What a nice surprise, some singletrack
    image.jpeg
    Some nice sandy woods riding on my trusty KLR
    image.jpeg

30 miles later, lots of engine noise, nuts backed off of header bolts
    image.jpeg
    forgot my 99pc KLR bolt kit. Cant wait to ride it again
  12. Emacauto

Emacauto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any get togethers for riding anytime soon ? Love to join , im in central ma in middle of these tracks.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
  13. zoomsplat

zoomsplat n00b

Oddometer:
    If I can get my bike pushed through RMV this week I may head out there this weekend, probably do Westminster to Rutland or Spencer, depending on how much time I can get in the budget.

Disclaimer: I haven't ridden this route before, and would have to cobble together a GPS mount on my "street legal dirt bike" for this one. experienced dirt and street rider, new to adventure riding in this area.
  14. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would be up for a one day run from south to north sometime early next week.
  15. Emacauto

Emacauto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Replyin to zoomsplat about this w/e

16. zoomsplat

zoomsplat n00b

Oddometer:
    I may be able to start in the Westminster area this upcoming Saturday, 7/21/18. I don't have a GPS mount on my dirt bike yet, still need to figure that out. If anyone wants to get out this weekend LMK, I'm free for most of Saturday.
  17. Emacauto

Emacauto Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ill do Saturday, heading out from Paxton, don't have bike mount gps yet, roughing it with my phone, bout 45 to Westminster but im game

18. JPMartin86

Oddometer:

Hey Evan,
    Glad you had fun on this.

Someone else had made mention to me about the Bigalow Rd. I just went into my gpx file and edit a new route around that road. Luckily i was still able to keep it dirt.

I also edited a route around HK Davis Rd, unfortunately this had to be tarmac, but its better than pissing off too many locals haha.

In regards to Oxford State Forest (AKA: Hodges Village Dam, Green Brier) this is absolutely a legitimate place to ride. Its owned by the US Army Corp of Engineers (Something like that) which allow off road motorcycles in the forest there No ATV's or 4x4 Vehicles. There is some 36+ miles of trails tucked away in there. The reason the Rangers are there is to confirm the bike riding on the trails are registered. They are very strict about registrations. Its an awesome spot to get some extra single track action for the southern part of the route. Don't hesitate next time to go in, you wont regret it. That is unless the rules have changed in the last year...

Next time you go out be sure to download the updated GPX file!
    jojojones likes this.
  19. JPMartin86

Oddometer:
    Id be cautious exploring this sand pit, Just south of it, off of Martin Dr. there is another sand pit where a kid was killed ATV'ing. Since then Evi Pd and Spencer Pd have not been to keen on riding in these spots.
  20. jojojones

jojojones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what routing program do you use to revise the gpx that shows accurate road surface data?

tia