Mid-State-Trail - Massachusetts

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by JPMartin86, Aug 27, 2017.

?

Is any one in doing a group ride on this route Oct. 15th 2017?

Poll closed Oct 29, 2017.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Maye

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JPMartin86

JPMartin86 When in doubt throttle out...

Oddometer:
    It’s not just one program that I use to show accurate road surface. I use PlotARoute.com to well, plot the route which has topo and birds eye maps. I use google earth, street view, and MotionX-GPS to digitally scout roads/trails and when all else fails I physically going out on my bike or in my truck to check out the hunches I find during my research online....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  2. jojojones

jojojones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    plotaroute is new to me so I just looked at it and it appears to use the same map sources I use in other apps like caltopo and gpsvisualizer...where do you get the road surface data in that program?...or are you using sat imagery and visually determining?

I know there are some town and county based data files that specifically mark road class but I have not been able to extract the data. Arcgis is one of those.
  3. JPMartin86

Oddometer:
    I have been determining visually with sat imaging

4. jojojones

Oddometer:
    thanks. Eventually all this GIS data will be merged and "accurate" road type data should be within these amazing mobile apps. Do check out https://caltopo.com/ as it is the only app I have found that can map and hand draw with "snapping" to USFS roads...amazing if you are riding in those lands...also http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/draw/ for only one map that is not in caltopo...strava heat map.

Thanks for the updated gpx...I plan to ride it in the next month.
  5. JPMartin86

Oddometer:
    Thanks for these suggestions I’ll be sure to check them out!

I was looking at the Magellan TRX7 and based on the description it is designed for off road, 4x4 enthusiasts. It has road mapping along with marked trails and fire roads. It’s also social based like WAZE. So it’s constantly being updated live. So the GIS data may be merged sooner than you think...

I’d love to get the TRX but it’s 1/3 the price that I paid for my bike...

6. jojojones

Oddometer:
    don't do it...get an ipx7/8 android running system 7 or later...after spending a looooot of time on this...imho nothing comes close to locus maps pro running a track and waze split screen.
  7. JPMartin86

Oddometer:
    Split screen! Never thought of that. Sounds luxurious compared to my iPhone screen haha.

Ive been using Motion X which is Apples version of Locus. Its been fairly reliable. What i dont like is that it either eats my data when i travel up north with limited cell reception, or it eats me storage when I download maps to run it in airplane mode. I like the idea of a dedicated GPS for these reasons alone.
    bcliff likes this.
  8. zoomsplat

zoomsplat n00b

Oddometer:
    I rode Hodges yesterday. A great (and the only) place to ride "a real dirt bike" in the central MA area, AFAIK. I certainly wouldn't head out there on my Multistrada, or a 'Strom, but for a little dual sport bike, or something a bit more off-highway oriented its a great way to remind yourself how old and out of shape you are. I'd say a KLR is about the most road-going vehicle that would be capable out there, its tight woopy single track with some good ruts, jumps, rocks, ledges, hill climbs, etc. Its a dirt bike spot, after all.
    JPMartin86 likes this.
  9. Toycrawler860

Toycrawler860 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very new to this whole gps thing. Running motion x and have had a bunch of gpx files emailed to me and I import them. Can’t seem to figure out how to get this one into motion x. Any help is appreciated. Looking forward to using this ride to get to my buddies in New Hampshire

10. JPMartin86

Oddometer:
    I always found it easiest to download the gpx file to a desktop computer, then email it to myself. Then using your phone check your email and Copy the file to Motion x

[​IMG]

zonth and Toycrawler860 like this.
  11. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^ that is exactly how I do it to Gaia. easy peezy
  12. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:
    Anybody ridden the MST in the last week or so? We tried it two weeks ago but there was a downed tree blocking one of the sections and we had to turn back. Wondering if it's been cleared yet.
  13. Dtx915

Dtx915 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any time you are off road in Mass you need OHRV registration, a street plate is useless at Hodges the fine is 250$ for no OHRV decals and 250$ for trespassing. Hodges is open for OHRV use but you need to be off highway registered as well.
  14. jojojones

Oddometer:
    this contradicts post #38??? isn't OHRV more for quads?
  15. Dtx915

Dtx915 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OHRV = Off Highway Recreational Vehicle
    It is covered in CH90b and has nothing to do with the number of wheels. Its two wheels, four wheels and snowmobiles. A street tag has been useless since July 31 of 2010 with the passage of Sean's law. This removed the sentence in CH90b that allowed for off highway use with a street registered motorcycle.

Information in #38 is not complete or accurate
  16. jojojones

Oddometer:
    Do you think this would be an issue just riding this trail as per the gpx and not going on to the hodges offroad trails?
  17. Dtx915

Dtx915 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will quote a EPO "in the state of mass you cannot ride a goldwing in a corn field without a ohrv registration."
    WMA's and property of the MDC are all closed to ohrv use. This thread is full of them. Public land open to off road requires registration and all private land must have written permission and be carried on you.
    Yes Massachusetts sucks but I don't pay other people's fines and yes I have seen the EPO write the tickets at Hodges
  18. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It doesn't suck as bad as Rhode Island...
    Dtx915 likes this.
  19. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:
    If you want to see it changed NETRA is trying to push a bill to have street registration count for ORV use - Link
    We're right at the start of the 2-year bill cycle so it'll be a slow start to get anywhere and nothing is likely to happen until next year. But now is the time to talk to your state house rep and state senator to get more of them on board.
  20. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just renewed my NETRA membership, and I appreciate the idea that someone in a public office is trying to save me $45, but truthfully I'm still pissed that it is illegal to ride anywhere in RI, outside of permitted events...*

* and yes, I know of the "secret spots" but seriously fuck that...