Mid-State-Trail - Massachusetts

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by JPMartin86, Aug 27, 2017.

?

Is any one in doing a group ride on this route Oct. 15th 2017?

Poll closed Oct 29, 2017.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Maye

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Dtx915

Dtx915 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We have this bill because NETRA was a no show way back when and it members did not support the AMA call to action.
  2. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:
    If the AMA wants people to to support their "call to action" it would help if they didn't waste political capital, time, and people's attention on trying to repeal the helmet law when they should be focusing on things like this.
    jimmycapp likes this.
  3. Dtx915

Dtx915 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    and you told them at the meeting right
  4. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:
    I've personally told the AMA's local rep as well as damn near all of the active members of the MMA (and everyone who was at their legislative planning meeting) precisely that. They couldn't possibly care less because woo personal rights and responsibilities or whatever.

But hey, at least the MMA has their annual "reinforce a negative stereotype" day so at least that's...something?
  5. SmallBore4Lyfe

SmallBore4Lyfe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is not working for me, unfortunately. After doing this I get stuck on a page that says "1 item(s) ready to import" with no option to move forward. Has anyone else had this issue?
  6. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What exactly did you do?
  7. SmallBore4Lyfe

Oddometer:
    Ok, I sorted out my GPS mishaps and headed out to check out the northern sections of this route yesterday... and wow! I have been looking to scratch the dirt itch since Hodges has been closed for mud season, and this really did the trick. My plated bike is a small trail bike (crf230) so I am usually bored with adv routes that focus on flat dirt roads, but these roads were a lot of fun. Tons of water crossings, some fun mellow rock gardens, even a rock garden on a mellow hill climb with a stream flowing down it!

I was also pleasantly surprised to find that the trail linked up with a sand pit where I found some locals riding berms, so I got a little motox practice in too. They said cops don't bother them, but I wouldn't push it... very exposed area and likely not legal. This was right by the big watercrossing that has everyone nervous. There was actually a decent bypass that was a little more technical than most of the trails, but nothing crazy.

Overall I didn't encounter anything too hard, but this route, along with the intersecting ATV trails, was enough to scratch the dirt bike itch. Unfortunately I didn't have time to do much of it so I only did the first 35 miles or so heading south.

Thanks again to the OP! Awesome route.
  8. Githianki

Githianki n00b

Oddometer:
    Anyone have issues with OSM and uploading this map to it?
  9. fagro

fagro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just downloaded it to OSM. No issues.
  10. earguy

earguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rode this route today, south to north on a BMW F700GS. Just a few observations in no particular order:
    1. Old Colony Rd in Princeton is blocked by an impassable pedestrian bridge over a river (concrete posts).
    2. A good helping of loose rocks keeps your attention, probably due to recent heavy downpours
    3. There are several puddles as wide as the road...hard bottoms, easy to plow straight through.
    4. The Flint Road 'Grassy Knoll" is very grassy with hidden whoops. Many dirt roads are getting narrow with encroaching trees, grass and bushes.
    5. Found a tree across the road(not sure where)...rather recent fall...a little bushwhacking and made it around with no problem. There are other trees down with easy, well used bypasses.
    I enjoyed the ride, even the pavement sections. I got to see a part of the state I am unfamiliar with. Thank You to the originator of this route
  11. SmallBore4Lyfe

Oddometer:
    How was the water crossing on old county road in ashburnham? That was nearly up to my headlights on my truck. I ride my enduro thru that area frequently and I always take the bypass up the hill because I'm sure it would be up to my airbox!
  12. earguy

earguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Smallbore4lyfe, I did not go any further north than Princeton...cant tell you about THE water crossing. Cheers
  13. SmallBore4Lyfe

Oddometer:
    The bypass is directly to your left in this photo. the roots there are the bottom of a little hill climb that marks the entrance.
  14. kevinferriter

kevinferriter n00b

Oddometer:
    I've read about half of this thread. I'm looking for some off road options in New England and stumbled onto this thread. Has anyone done this on a Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled? I'm running the stock 50/50 tires at the moment. I've had the bike for 6 months and have done lots of pavement with it but would like to test the capability off road. Just curious if anyone has tried this route with the Desert Sled or a similar bike? I've seen lots of smaller 230 - 250 bikes and the occasional KLR. But I don't have a good sense of the facts vs the marketing speak on the Desert Sled.

Worse case is I'll try the route and give a report. I saw a few campers so will pack the bike for an overnight but think I should be able to run the 100 miles plus getting there in a day trip. If anyone is planning to run this before November, let me know. I have a pretty busy weekend schedule for September but am comfortable riding through October and into November if the trail conditions are good.
  15. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:
    You should have no trouble on almost all of the route. Depending on your skill level and depending on whether you stick to the access road or try the singletrack, the bit that goes through Hodges Village Dam might be totally fine or it might be a bit over your head.

You should definitely give it a try - it's an awesome route.
  16. kevinferriter

kevinferriter n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks dillo
    Thanks Dillo. Off road skills are admittedly little tested but anxious to give them a bit more of a workout. Took a great couple of days of instructions at Smart Adventures up in Canada and put those skills to use a few times. But very limited experience. I'll definitely give the trail a go but will choose the non-single track options until I get a good sense of the capabilities of the bike and the rider.
  17. JPMartin86

JPMartin86 When in doubt throttle out...

Oddometer:
    I went back through the GPX file and made quite a few adjustments to the route. I ended up getting a little trigger happy with the plotter tool. It went from a 91 mile route to 154, whoops. In the effort of keep this route true to the "Mid-state Trail" I will keep the original route but will rename it "Mid State Trail - Short". I will also post the updated route in the first post and will name this one "Mid State Trail - Long". Both routes will include the changes mention below, however the "detour" is only applicable to the "MST - Long". The changes are as follows...
    • Removed Hodges Village Dam Single Track (Part of me wants to keep this in but the trails in there do not "technically" connect. There is a gate that needs to be bypassed. If an officer or ranger ever saw this happening I'm sure they would put up a stink about it. The route does still pass by Hodges should anyone still want to venture through the forest, the correct way that is...)
    • Removed Spencer State Forest. They have gated off the road and installed a no off-road vehicle sign...whoops.
    • Added a couple small sections of dirt near Oxford and Leicester (I'm still looking for some more dirt in the southern portion of the route if anyone has some recommendations)
    • I removed Old Colony Rd in Hubbardston (while depicted on a map as a road through and through, there is a bridge that is required to cross a river. The bridge however is for pedestrian traffic only, womp womp).
    • Added a large detour from Spencer State Forest to Rutland State Park (I felt as thought this route didnt have enough dirt, so iv added the detour to capture more of the good stuff. The detour is mainly dirt roads and is plenty safe for big bikes.

Here is a screenshot of the detour.

Attached Files:

BigOgre, zonth and sprouty115 like this.
  18. JPMartin86

Oddometer:
    Hi Kevin,
    If you download the new GPX (as of today) the single track portion has been removed and bypassed.
  19. joshp305

joshp305 follow @ BigbikeBigcity

Oddometer:
    any one interested in doing this soon? im in medford ma
    JPMartin86 likes this.
  20. JPMartin86

Oddometer:
    I may skip work next week to tackle this and get some updated photos. Mon, Tue, or Wed.
    Jmcqq37 likes this.