1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Mid weight adventure bike rumors

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Bud Dog, Aug 10, 2020.

1. Bud Dog

Bud Dog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any solid information if Honda,Suzuki or Kawasaki are coming out with a middle weight adventure bike. About to pull the trigger on a T7 that my local dealer is getting in next week. Don’t want to have buyers remorse if something better comes out soon. The T7 checks pretty much all the boxes for what I need.
  2. AZ Africa Twin

AZ Africa Twin From the AZ High Country

Oddometer:
    There will always be a “latest greatest” thing. If you like the Yamaha, go for it and start enjoying riding. You never get that time back, wish I had started years ago
    Maxwell00 likes this.
  3. KaceCoyote

KaceCoyote Pass the queer more beer

Oddometer:
    KTM have a 500Cc twin in development, which will allegedly get an Adventure model. I'd also be shocked if Kawasaki didn't bring back the KLR in some form, I don't think the Versys occupies the market niche the KLR once owned.
    zoo likes this.
  4. fastnlight

fastnlight Repeat Offender

Oddometer:
    Honda is rumored to be releasing some 7-9 hundred cc adventure or adventurish bike relatively soon. If DCT interests you, that could be worth watching for.

Greg
  5. KaceCoyote

KaceCoyote Pass the queer more beer

Oddometer:
    A Cb750X sort've thing wouldn't be a terrible idea for Honda. The CB500 bikes all seem fairly well loved by their owners, I just want something with more slab ability.
  6. afordableperformance

afordableperformance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nothing better than the T7 will come out in the next 2 years, otherwise we'd already be hearing about it. But, new bikes sometimes get revealed in November if you can wait that long just to see, then maybe next year to buy in Europe! So it depends on how soon and much you want to ride. I bought a T7 because I knew it was going to be a good bike that will hold its value well, if something does come out in a year or 2 that I like better, I don't think the financial loss would be that great with the T7 starting price and popularity.

Now that I have a T7, I will say it is better than I thought it would be and I think the US models got stiffer suspension that I may be able to live with!
    Adanac rider likes this.
  7. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:
    future Husquavarna 500 norden/KTM 490 adventure -- when? couple years at best

I'd stick with the T7, it won't be as "ready to race" but it'll most likely work when you need it too
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I'd say the phrase is...one day...
  9. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Unless you have a plan to live forever, buy the bike that best meets your needs today and ride it. You are not going to get back this riding time you lost waiting for that unicorn to come out. If it materializes and it's really better than your current bike, then yes, it may be worth switching. What if it comes out and it's not what you hoped for or want at that point? :dunno

Gustavo
  10. antwon412

antwon412 Long timer

Oddometer:
    CB500X is the perfect midsize for me. Can slab at 85 all day comfortably if you had to and is a wonder in some nice twisty mountain roads. Fun in fire trails and gravel too.

CB500X. T7. Versys 650.
    All sorts of options.
    Cruz and 32dgrz like this.
  11. Bud Dog

Bud Dog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have three bikes to rides. I have a DR650 and a DL1000 and a YZ250. I would like to sell the DR and DL and get a bike that would be a happy medium between the two of them. The T7 looks like the best bike right now.
  12. enduro16

enduro16 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Shit or get off the pot...
    Johnytuono likes this.
  13. imherefortheride

imherefortheride Rain or shine.

Oddometer:
    Do you have 80/20 tires for the fire trails/gravel or do all of the above on street tires? The CB500X interests me because they can be had for relatively cheap.
  14. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was hoping for a Versys 400, but i got fed up of waiting and bought a CB5X. 18 months later after buying the CB, there is still no VX4 on the horizon, so i could have wasted all that time.
  15. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    I wanted to buy the T7 until I saw news about the Norden 901 and KTM 500 twin. I have an AT to tide me over until those hit the market.
  16. antwon412

antwon412 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I currently have the stock tires which are considered an 80/20 by Honda.
    They work well enough for me. When I need new tires I may go to the Michelin......adventure? Something like that. I forget exactly.
    However tires are cheap enough that I wouldn’t let them deter me from a bike that I thought was good in many other ways.
  17. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    While the T7 seems like the next (great) Jap-made Mid size ADV, my problem is that tmy CB500X RRaid is so perfect for so much. Definitely want to try the T7 throughly before selling the CB off.
    Rally-Raid has a bunch of goodies for the T7, after feeling the (excellent) Tractive Suspension on my CB, that would be my direction after protection. Sooner or later I'll find a T7 owner on a ride & camp or Rally, to trade bikes for a ride...

Mike B
    So CA
    Cruz likes this.