Middleweight (used) "adventure bike" with ABS - Choices for a short fella?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Anby, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Anby

Anby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I kinda like the look of the dual exhaust. The exhaust (and single disc brake in front) on the left side looks just weird to me. Maybe because my previous bikes had the on the right.

Out of curiosity how did you get the ECU (assuming thats the correct term) remapped? In general do aftermarket engine make a machine more/less reliable? I do keep seeing Harley folks say that their vehicle performance increases but become less reliable. I don't have much experience with it, so I am intrigued.
  2. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I didn't remap.
    I just installed the muffler and it ran great.
    It's just a lighter and more free flowing muffler, nothing ground breaking. The stock muffler flow is very plugged up on this bike.
    Exhaust enters the left side and goes thru a cat then crosses to the right and sound deadens and exits. Many pull of the left side rear plug to help. Overall it's heavy and that alone slows you down. I want my bikes lighter. I will also use a lithium battery as it's high up and that really affects cog.
    Anby and twinrider like this.
  3. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Anby likes this.
  4. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    HD effects have nothing to do with this bike? Not sure what the comparison is.
  5. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    The ECU doesn't need to be remapped for slip-on mufflers. Been there and done that on many FI bikes with no signs of them becoming too lean. If you add a full exhaust, then you'd want to change the fueling.

This exhaust saved a ton of weight — which is a big plus for a 50hp bike, especially ridden on dirt. To fill the gap on the other side I added a tool tube.
    eakins likes this.
  6. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Ridin' that train

Oddometer:
    Closed-loop fuel control systems are fact.

Disturb any of the variables and the controller module adjusts to compensate. To protect the emissions - not maximize engine performance.

A BMW R1150RT that I had, used, with aftermarket pipes - loud pipes that I disliked - the PO made a point of showing that he'd gotten the FI chip to go with it. Even then, it didn't feel anywhere near as peppy as my R1200GS, although I didn't have them side-by-side.

No, I haven't made a study of dynometer results. But I have had on-road failures coming from FI feedback-loop sensor problems, tied to exhaust damage
  7. RobG.

RobG. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    FWIW, I'm 5'6" short with a 28" inseam and ride my 2012 V-Strom 650 with the stock suspension...I put on a Suzuki low seat (purchased at Bike Bandit for $193.00 OTD) and it sits 20mm(.78 inch) lower than stock....it puts me on my toes instead of tiptoes when stopped with both feet down.

The 2012 has ABS as standard equipment and a nice one can easily be purchased for probably $4K or maybe less....just sayin'. :ricky

Edit...sorry, I missed the post you made a decision.

Congrats and enjoy your new ride. :beer
    Anby likes this.
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    So you are using your experiences from another bike and saying that is relevant to this bike :scratch
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Yep a huge advantage to opening that right side space just behind the side rack is now your have a great place to store tools and supplies.

I think I'm going to go this direction.
    It's designed for the left side but can be drilled and modified to work on the right.
    Maybe some of the brackets will work, maybe not? If not I'll just use tube straps to secure it. The shape is effecient to fill that unused space vs round tubes.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle...LC-Adventure-2002-2008-2018-Y2O0/113997998983

Otherwise these are great
    http://www.thetooltube.com/MegaTube.html
    Anby likes this.
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  11. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    I went with the Seat Concepts regular height on my 2012 DL650. Supper comfy but for sure a taller seat experience than my F650GS even with the Dakar tall seat.

Both are equally comfortable on the body to ride too, but the Vstrom is a much heavier experience, seat in any position, than this GS. It's physically heavier but also feels more top heavy.

Great bike I love it but works better in paved and smooth gravel. Alot more motor too being a V.
    The GS is better off-road for sure.
    Both are 650cc but very different in experience.
    Cal likes this.
  12. twinrider

Oddometer:

Yep...

[​IMG]
    dmottv, Anby and eakins like this.
  13. Anby

Anby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This should be a good read. As soon as I am back from my fly and ride I will start going through it.
    Will it be a good idea to pick up a Clymer or Haynes manual as well? I want to learn how to do routine maintenance and diagnose issues if they arise in future.

Wouldn't the round ones be more versatile as they would likely fit gasoline bottles/canisters?
  14. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cb500x is about 50lbs lighter than the Nc700 and the new one has a 19" front wheel. I'm a huge fan of the 500 engine - a lot of fun, tractable and you don't have to rev its nuts off to get some torque.
    Anby and eakins like this.
  15. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    The gas tank is large enough, tools to fix flats etc are needed. If you don't have the tools and skills to fix a flat out there you will eventually be in a bad place as an ADV rider
    Anby likes this.
  16. Anby

Anby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know. Assembling a toolkit and signing up for an emergency repair course are the first things on my list as soon as I am back in the Bay area.
  17. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Anby likes this.
  18. Anby

Anby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got the bike during the Martin Luther King day weekend and rode it back to the Bay area. The bike ran flawlessly, other than some oil coming out of the front forks. Will fix that and replace the left switchgear housing that has a crack. Loving it so far, and itching for a long ride.
  19. kaptkaos

kaptkaos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Google Jocelyn Snow, shes 5 1" and rides a GS 1200 like a pro. Take the time to learn technique. You will drop it. Get over it. If you cant stand to drop a shiny new bike, by a used one thats been dropped. These things are consumable items, buy, ride, break, fix, sell buy another, repeat. Dont fall in love unless its a garage queen you ride to shows and to Starbucks only in fair weather.
  20. Kawidad

Kawidad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, but I don't agree with just about anything you wrote.

That's your mental outlook and it may work for you, but it doesn't work for other people who see things differently or for people who may have previous injuries or age related limitations or don't have the money to throw away because you dropped your $30k GSA in a Starbucks parking lot. Motorcycles are mostly an emotional purchase and most of us don't want to ride some POS if we don't have to. That's for kids who can barely scrape by, not for most of us who like and care for and about our toys.

Technique and skill only will get you so far, but there's more to the game than mere technique. And then there's throwing money away because your bad knee gave out while getting gas at the pump.
    RowBust and Anby like this.