Midweek Adventure Riding

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by FishDiver, Aug 29, 2019.

?

Do you have free time to ride offroad during the work week?

1. Y

40.0%
  2. N

20.0%
  3. Periodically (shift work, self-employed, etc)

40.0%
  1. FishDiver

FishDiver Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am semi-retired and usually ride dirt or adventure bikes during the work week. I share my plans with several enthusiast groups with hundreds of members. Rarely does more than one or two riders show any interest. Typically they are the same one or two people. It occured to me that perhaps people old enough to have time to ride during the week were too old to want to ride on dirt or camp on a regular basis.
  2. FlyingLo

FlyingLo FlyingLo

Oddometer:
    I believe we live in a world of joiners and not doers. I have experienced similar disappointment with rallying not so old bicyclists who are retired or have flexible work schedules to meet up for weekly social rides in my community. Out of a nearly two hundred individuals who were enthusiastic about having regular group rides, register and sign an online waiver, less than a dozen have been regular participants with only a only one or two others dedicated to help lead the effort. I have recently joined an adventure ride group out of Minneapolis/St.Paul that seems to have the same recruitment and participation numbers for their monthly well planned backroad gravel rides. For some riders I am sure they have other competing commitments and/or the desired activity is beyond their physical comfort level at this point in life. For many I am sure it is being "all hat, no cattle".
    Unfortunately, I have come to realize how heidenistic our society has become with only a few who understand the importance to show up or there will be no group for them to join. I say keep trying to show others the way and enjoy your rides with the truly exceptional individuals who value showing up regularly.
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  3. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or perhaps they have a riding schedule that works for them.

I want to ride with a few people I know and trust instead of with random people posting on forums.

I have met and ridden with more riders this year than I have before and it was fine. I still prefer very small groups (2 or 3 riders) and riding with friends I've had for years.
  4. FlyingLo

FlyingLo FlyingLo

Oddometer:
    I agree, I am much more cautious in new or large groups and prefer rides with one or two known friends. So far I have found the riders who are reaching out through forming online groups as generally being more experienced than myself and I have benefited greatly from their invitation to join their circle of friends. Sounds like we are both fortunate to have a full tank of friends who actively ride. However, it is always good to have a way of replenishing that precious resource.
  5. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Yes. And no.

I work. But i'm also doing a "around the world in the USA" tour. (Paris Texas, Johannesburg California, London Kentucky, Stuttgart Arkansas, etc.) If they're close enough for me to get there in half a day I try to do them during the week day that i'm off.
    I don't ride off road, but i'm going around the world!!!
    mitchapalooza likes this.
  6. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Captain Obvious

Oddometer:
    Yes, and the millenials have been so traumatized by the Great Recession ( remember that?) that they rarely take a random day off. The best riding is mid week.

I would go in a heartbeat, and my job is flexible enough for that. But in general I see people wasting their lives at work, or on boring chores. They have been indoctrinated into the protestant work ethic or something. And they can have it. Most of the people I have known who have beautiful gardens and lawns have been selfish assholes.

Same thing with sailing; be a guy who shows up as crew and you have people with beautiful sailboats calling just dying to take you out. Because no one shows up anymore. Well, if you have a $300k yacht they show up. But if you have a nice $75k sailboat, its hard to pull in many sailors, oddly.
    Rockred and neanderthal like this.
  7. AzB

AzB Fattest thin man

Oddometer:
    I try to get my friends out on the weekdays but they're not interested. Too busy chasing a buck. I have a job that pays poorly but I have a lot of flexibility with my schedule, no stress, and no responsibility when I'm off. We get comp time for working weekends, so sometimes I'll work a weekend and get 5 days in a row off. (Wed-sun) Mid week rides are the best, but I'm always alone.
    Sal Pairadice likes this.
  8. jstyles

jstyles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I get Fridays off for part of the year and try to ride then. Between the kids, wife, and job not a lot of extra time, especially when you throw in youth sports all year and hunting in the fall.
  9. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    Seven weeks of vacation a year. Yes, I ride weekdays as much as I can.
  10. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Personally I find food, clothing, and shelter desirable, would like to be able to retire, don't want debt, and must accomplish it myself, I find that working isn't optional.
  11. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    I do shift work, so I work half the weekends out of the year and while doing that have the middle of the week off. I really like that time for getting things done and of course riding. I'm young enough to have kids in school and a wife that still likes to have me around.
    The middle of the week is like "free" riding time. I try to take advantage of it as much as possible but at times I'm stuck doing other stupid stuff.
  12. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately, me too. I've worked full time( and most years 2 jobs) since I was 14 and Ford closed the Mahwah plant where my dad worked. That made us all real poor real fast. But at age 54 I can cut out a day here and there for fun. That's what the OP is talking about. Some of us find a way, some of us wish we could, and some people really like to to chores. Some great friends of mine just love weekend and after work chores.

I have refused a promotion now 5 or 6 times because it involves way too much responsibility and time. And dickish ass kissing politics. The money is extremely tempting. But my time for adventure would be severely undercut. So, I decline.
  13. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't mix the two. Just because someone likes dirt biking doesn't mean they should love camping too. It may also be too much riding for the person. Some people want to ride for an hour or two, not all day.
  14. Hamamelis

Hamamelis Inmate

Oddometer:
    As one of them darn millennials being bandied about so often in the thread, honestly yeah I probably could get out to a campsite and camp in the middle of the week if I wanted to, during seasons with enough daylight (especially because my work alternates between 8 am and 10 am starts and I could take advantage of that late start)

_but_ for the cost of either a campsite, or a national forest camping permit, I'd rather have the extra time on either side of the day to actually get out and explore. I get off work at 5:30, and sunset now in Virginia is 7:15 pm, so I need to make it to the trails and camp in an hour and 45 minutes from the center of a city. I'd then have to get back to work starting no later than 8:15 (assuming I want to show up to my lab in my trail clothes, which I don't so I'd have to go home and shower)

I could do it, but that's a lot of commitment for a lot of exhaustion and I just am not so inclined, when I could just be a weekend warrior
  15. Sal Pairadice

Oddometer:

You just making my point and the op's. To do it right, you have to call in and - " hello -cough cough - ( fake scratchy voice) I'm not feeling well. I won't be in today.Probably stay home tomorrow too. I don't want to give everyone this flue" . Then jump on the already packed bike and -- go!

Us Genx guys have that routine down. In my office the " hello cough cough" is legend.
  16. ryder1

ryder1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like this idea and Pa is a good place to be for that. I've been to quite a few so far.
  17. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

I have time to ride during the week and usually do so once or twice per week. I tend to ride solo because I don't typically know that I have time to ride until that morning. I don't have a set schedule but I'm constantly busy... Until I'm not and then I take off for a few hours.

Perhaps the reasons for others not joining you are similar?
  18. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    One of the best times to ride is on Sunday when the big game is on, this big game always being the most important, that is, until the next most important big game next Sunday.
    Ginger Beard and AwDang like this.