1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Midwest and Great Lakes experts- need advice

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by neduro, Sep 22, 2003.

1. neduro

neduro Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey All-

I'm going to pick up a truck in Detroit for a friend and bring it back out to Colorado. Fly? I don't think so...

There's two parts to my question. First, I'm tempted to go around the north side of Lake Michigan just for giggles. Worth doing? Good roads? Route recommendations? I've also heard there is a ferry that can be neat to ride...

Second, I'll be spending a few days near Milwaukee with a friend (also a GS owner). Any recommendations on a good 250 mile day with lots of backroad twisties in that area?

Many thanks,

Ned in Colorado
  2. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    From Milwaukee, just get to the Kettle Moraine Scenic Drive. Start up at Elkhart Lake and follow the signs south until Eagle, Wisconsin, or so. That would be a 150-200 mile ride, and very pretty this time of the year.

Jon
  3. Salt

Salt Moto Whore

Oddometer:
    Well, I've gotta agree with Mogwai on this one. While the Kettle Moraine (both Southern and Northern units) have some nice riding, and really the only decent riding (all paved) less than an hour from Milwaukee, you really are much better off in getting up early and heading to Coulee Country in western Wisconsin. Coulee Country is anywhere pretty much Northwest of Madison and West and South of I-90. You'll see a lot fewer people and a lot fewer stop signs. Only problem is that from Milwaukee it'll take over an hour to get to the good stuff. Pretty much all paved though. To get good unpaved curvy roads, make a stop up in the Nicolet National Forest on your way down from da UP (Upper Peninsula).

Good luck and have fun!
  4. kfsinc

kfsinc Chaingolian Observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you can, avoid Chicago! I80 runs along the south end of the city and the lake through Gary :arg . I70 thorugh Indy is about as boring as you can get.

Coming from the west, you could pass through SW Wisconsin. Prairie du Chen area has great roads along the Mississippi River. Have your friend from Milwaukee meet you there. Anything in the Kettle Moraine should be good also.

North up the shore of Lake Michigan will be okay, nothing spectacular. The UP and Northern MI should be good as well as down the shore in Michigan. Not sure if you can ride on the sand dunes in Michigan, but if you can...:rofl

I'd skip the ferry.

Karl
  5. harpoon

harpoon Long timer

Oddometer:
    ride over to Lawrence, KS. Nice little college town. Have a beer at Free State Bewery. Stay at the cool old hotel across the street. Just don't tell them I sent you.:1drink :freaky
  6. justrider

justrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stay as far away as you can from Chicago and Gary. There are two ferry`s Ludington Michigan to Manitowac Wisconsin and the other one is on the lower end of the lake towards Milwaukee I have never taken that one. Just the badger out of Manitowac. its not really hard to find good roads up north in Michigan and through the U.P. Hwy 2 is a two lane state highway across the U.P it has a lot of timber trucks and RV`s they have put in more passing lanes witch makes it better.

The Mackinaw bridge can be very tense depending on wind and construction witch never stops in the summer. It`s five miles long and your riding on a steel grate. The towers can give some unsettling cross winds and jaws that connect the decking on the bridge look daunting to say the least. I have gone over that bridge some hundred times and never had an issue in the summer. Their are some real jewels in the U.P. Fayette is worth a stop and Big Springs is another both off Hwy 2. My only other tip is this don`t ride at night the deer in the U.P are thick at night and early morning. The Rapid river knife works on Hwy 2 east of the Hwy 41 junction.
    they have some of the most beautiful hand made knives anywhere and they still make Damascus blades. They have a very nice showroom and are very nice folks.

Anywhere you go in the U.P. and northern Wisconsin are wonderful roads and people. If you get down to Milwaukee go to the Fuel café on 818 E Center st Milwaukee. Awesome coffee just don`t ask for decaf
  7. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wonder how this all worked out. Thirteen and a half years ago. :lol3
    Doctor Zed, barnyard and pigjockey like this.
  8. Layton

Layton Long timer

Oddometer:
    He probably fell off the bridge which is why you never heard how it turned out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bultaco206 likes this.
  9. Bultaco206

Bultaco206 Back-to-back motos suck Supporter

Oddometer:
    Makes sense.
  10. BlueHeart

BlueHeart Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's the Mackinac Bridge, not Mackinaw.:thumb
    If it's above the bridge, it's with a "C". If it's below, it's spelled with a "W".
    :*sip*
  11. justrider

justrider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I grew up below the bridge in Detroit so I am a troll.
    BlueHeart likes this.
  12. BlueHeart

BlueHeart Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ooookay.
  13. Jefro56

Jefro56 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Or worse yet, a "fudgie"
    justrider and BlueHeart like this.