Might be the best $400 I have spent on my GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by pavement pounder, Jul 5, 2010.

1. pavement pounder

pavement pounder The road to Paradise is "UN-Paved"

Oddometer:
    it mounts under the telelever. It took all of 10 minutes to open the package, read the instructions (although I almost didn't because it's so simple), install, initial tune. Took it out for a spin around the block and I was gone for over 2 hours. Keep in mind I just got back from a 3500 km trip and this was waiting in the mail. I didn't even unpack, I through it on and went for a rip fully loaded. I'll never own another bike without one. :wink:
  2. Dratharr

Dratharr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can totally see how a steering damper would improve the handling of the GS especially off road, with the smallish front wheel, and the telever suspension it seems like a no brainer upgrade to me. I have a Scotts on both of my dirt bikes and I can tell you it is a huge improvement if used properly. The only problem I have ever had is forgetting to turn the resistance down when I get into the single track, then it makes for some seriously slow steering response. But for bombing down straight sections with rocks, roots, and sand you just cant beat it. You can crank it up and just practically steer with your legs. I don't have one on my GS, and I don't really ride it on gnarly trails, but I do ride it down sandy roads all of the time.
  3. GeoAggie

GeoAggie Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks!!

Jeff
  4. rdcyclist

rdcyclist Long timer

Oddometer:
    This thread is the perfect example of "The best you've ridden is the best you know". Several of the posters who've stated, "I've never felt the need for one", seem to be telling those who have a damper, "you just THINK you need one". JvB is probably the worst of the lot. He has no freakin' idea...

How in the world do you know either way if you've NEVER ridden a GS with a steering damper? It's like the guys who jumped into the aftermarket shock thread a coupla years ago with: "My stock shocks are fine at 28k and I don't see the need. You guys are full of it..."

I can say for sure that replacing my stockers at 25k with a set of Ohlins made it into a completely different beast. Total transformation. My wife even commented on how much better the bike felt.

When I see these tools jumping in here with their negative waves, I just wonder when they became experts on all things GS. JvB thinks he is, but I've heard otherwise...:deal

Think about this: Before you rode your GS, did you see the need for it? I sure as hell didn't. I've had three of them in the last six years and have put a total of 180k miles on them. Best bike I've ever owned out of at least forty. If I went around sayin', "I've never felt the need for a GS", and kept my mind closed, I never would've known. And I imagine that goes the same for most of us.

To the OP, thanks for the heads up on the steering damper.:thumb I'm gonna try one out. To the tools: STFU...:fyyff
  5. SocalRob

SocalRob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Been thinking about this damper thing. The GS/GSA are bikes with wide bars that give them both advantages and disadvantages.

An advantage I see to wide bars is that steering input takes a longer swing of arc of the wide bars over that which would be needed by, say, clipons. A disadvantage is that the leverage the wide bars makes it a bit harder to give precise steering input as very little pressure on the grips is needed to move the bars because of all that leverage.

A steering damper solves all the negatives of wide bars - by overcoming the wide bar leverage, without affecting the advantage of wide bars - the longer arc of input. I think that is one of the reasons the bike feels like it is on rails through sweepers with the damper.

I can also see a major advantage for GS/GSA bikes having a damper in high winds and buffeting. The upright seating position of the bikes, coupled with the tendency of BMW riders to wear textile coats which tend to have more sail area in the shoulders and arms than sport bike leathers, may be giving some riders wind induced unintended steering inputs. The damper can really negate that. Again, without my shoulders/arms getting knocked about by the wind and causing steering inputs, the bike just felt on rails even in 50ish mph gusts.

So telelever aside, I can see a good case for putting a damper on any adventure style bike with wide bars and an upright seating position for on the pavement road manners if nothing else.
  6. SocalRob

SocalRob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can you explain what affect a steering damper has on gyroscopic forces from a motorcycle? I can't picture how a damper affects gyroscopic forces in any way at all.
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dude, I think you are reading too much into my responses. :deal

Just because I never rode a GS with a steering damper doesn't mean I never rode a bike with one, nore does it invalidate my beliefe that I do not need one.

It also doesn't invalidate the responses of those who have and love them.

Like I already said twice, if you are happy with it, and it does what you like, then great!

Now, will you :stfu ?:lol3

Jim :brow
  8. Solstice0000

Solstice0000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ride mostly road and somewhat fast (eg 160-180kmh on those invitingly quiet country roads) and, where I come from, these roads have many little bridges where the road suddenly ascends just before the bridge and falls off after it - this causes the bike to get launched off the bridge. Each time, upon the inevitable hard landing, the handlebar would twitch very badly (like a mini tankslapper). Thanks pavementpounder and all the other guys who've chimed in, now I know what to do about it. Why haven't I thought about it is a wonder cos I immediately put a Bitubo steering damper on my Ducati S4RS after a very nasty tankslapper 2 years ago. Hyperpro here I come...:thumb
  9. MisterMo

MisterMo mach schnell!

Oddometer:
    Model number? Vendor? I've done some searching, even on the HyperPro site, and haven't figured it out in the ten minutes I've alloted. Suggestions? TIA.
  10. ReactorTrip

ReactorTrip glows in the dark

Oddometer:
    I had a Honda Electronic Steering Damper on my 600rr. It did it's job and it did it well. I do not have a damper on my GS. I haven't felt any sort of nervousness or need for a damper as of yet, I have felt a desperate need for aftermarket suspension, but that's a different story.

It could be helpful, I am just use to a much lighter and much less planted bike. I am sure if I get a bad tankslapper I would of wished I had one though. I haven't felt anything remotely close to one as of yet and I've put the bike through some tough paces on the road, dirt noob so I haven't really pushed it hard there.
  11. Sanders

Sanders Stogiesuckingsinglemalter

Oddometer:
    Confluence of the Mississippi and the St. Croix
    Yeah the CBR's needed 'em. Sportbike steering geometry and all...
    I don't see the need for one on the GS, but if we were all the same this world would be mighty boring. Enjoy your farkle :clap and ride on

Sanders
  12. Nitzo

Nitzo Long timer

Oddometer:

jim, you r too nice......take him to the cellar and rip his ass..............:lol3
  13. jeffjbmw

jeffjbmw Threadkiller

Oddometer:

You know, Jim is one of THE most valuable, and I might add generous, resources this forum has. He invariably takes a practical and pragmatic view of all things motorcycle. I have met the guy a couple of times and can say he really takes a balanced view.

I think YOU have no freakin' idea. And if he were to STFU, I for one would miss him here. Maybe you should reread the posts he made on this thread.......
  14. slowinfastout

slowinfastout Halfway to nowhere in particular

Oddometer:
    I not adverse to trying new things for the bike, and rely on those here for their thoughts on what works and what doesn't. I'm pretty skeptical, but by and large when so many say 'this is a good thing'....it probably is.

So I ordered one today. My 2006 isn't going to be sold any time soon, or traded in (its hugely over-farkled, I'd lose my butt on a sale), so what's another $ 400 to try it out? I ordered one today ..... will report back. If its great - I'll tell ya....if its mostly bling, I'll report back on that as well.
  15. briangorrell

briangorrell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Where did you order it from? Curious minds want to know! :1drink
  16. pavement pounder

pavement pounder The road to Paradise is "UN-Paved"

Oddometer:
    http://www.epmperf.com/ :deal

just email them, they'll figure out which kit you need. They know.

and guys, just a reminder, everyone is entitled to their opinion! Everyone! Just play nice.:wink:

Tried it out with major side wind on the highway and transport trucks buffeting, almost all the pushing and shoving is gone. I feel semi retired!
  17. mkletecka

mkletecka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where did you order it from?

this is where I got mine ....Annitori Distributing @ (847) 526-6116 / (888) 963-1212

Mike K.
    Dana Point. CA.
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="90%"><TBODY><TR align=left><TD style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Futura BoldOblique'; COLOR: rgb(0,0,0); FONT-SIZE: 18px" class=FuturaBoldOblique18 width="56%">
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  18. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Need some help installing it? Maybe I can take a ride and see what all the fuss is about?:evil

Jim :brow
  19. slowinfastout

Oddometer:
    HA! Looks like it takes longer to pull it out of the box to install it, Jim....but come on over and we'll play with it (before / after), etc....

Duane
  20. slowinfastout

Oddometer:
    They are still honoring the Group Buy discount of 15% off so its just over $ 400 with shipping.

Date​

7/8/2010​

732-786-9777 Dee@epmperf.com

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]
    77 Pension Road., Suite 17​
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]

Manalapan, NJ 07726

[/FONT]
    [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]EPM Performance Imports, Inc.

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold][FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]

[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

Qty Item Description

BMW R 1200 GS 2006
    1 MK-BM12-B002 B Mt Kit for R 1200 GS (& Adventure) 04> Black 209.95 209.95T
    997 Group Buy -15.00% -31.49
    1 DS-075B-NP1 Progressive Steering Damper-RSC-75 mm- Black 263.60 263.60T
    997 Group Buy -15.00% -39.54
    1 Shipping & Handling Domestic 15.00 15.00T
    $417.52

$417.52