Might be the best $400 I have spent on my GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by pavement pounder, Jul 5, 2010.

1. LTCOliverNorth

LTCOliverNorth Peeping Tom

Oddometer:
    I'm late to the party but I would like to thow in my $.02

Coming from sportbikes, I rode damperless for several years before finally putting one on my 600RR (ohlins bar-type). After discovering the huge difference it made in cornering stability, I immediately turned around put on on the heavier 1KRR which up until that point, I thought was plenty stable through corners; it got even better.

I rode the R1200GS for about a year before looking for a damper, mostly because nothing was readily available and the bike felt stable enough. I ended up going with Gavin/Mort's mount and a Scott's rotary damper. WOW what a difference! The twitchiness of the bike on dirt/gravel roads and it's new-found stability in sand are like night and day. I just got back from a multi-state trip through the Southwest and did some sand in and out of Chaco Canyon and you could feel the difference between just a few clicks of firmness on the damper when riding through sand and over washboard roads.

On the road I found the fully rear-loaded bike was twichy in corners at times, especially on the tar-snakes. I had been running the damper pretty soft on the road, but after a couple moments in Utah, I ended up riding with the damper just a few clicks away from full-damping and the rest of the ride back to WA was stress free.

My only criticism regarding the Hyperpro is the fact that it is not handlebar mounted; meaning you can't adjust it on the fly. So if you're say riding down a dirt road and you sense that some sand is coming up, you can't just crank up the hardness without stopping, or conversely if you need increased low-speed manuverability you can't reduce it easily either.
  2. pavement pounder

pavement pounder The road to Paradise is "UN-Paved"

Oddometer:
    1000kms later, no regrets. I still can't believe how bad a great bike was! (but I've had much worse) don't get me wrong, the GS is a great bike (at 52000kms in just over 2 years, i have no complaints) but with a stabilizer, it's just that much better. In fact, it's more than $400 better!:eek1
  3. footloose

footloose and fancy free.

Oddometer:
    I've never ridden a bike with a steering damper but I can imagine that it would be a very worthwhile addition, particularly for those that ride on sandy roads.
    Getting caught out by hitting a deep sandy stretch of road in SA cost me 10 days in Port Augusta Hospital and $12500 in damage to the bike.
    I'm a lot better now at picking the change in road conditions and handling the bike in sand and bulldust but the heart rate still goes into overdrive on some road stretches.
    Thanks, Pavement Pounder, for bringing this improvement to my attention at least.
  4. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last

Oddometer:
    well after what i just wrote about above ...there is a device that will answer all your needs:thumb,,,,everything you wished for above is handled,,,it runs circa $850 if my memory serves me right....so here it is :

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13424144&postcount=47

S/sgt w:wink:
  5. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    well after what i just wrote about above ...there is a device that will answer all your needs,,,,everything you wished for above is handled,,,it runs circa $850 if my memory serves me right....Hey Woody what is it specifically your talking about? I'm looking for something like what you and the others have described,but would imagine that having on the fly adjustment would be better than the Hyper Pro that can't be adjusted on the fly. Still a bit confused on all this,but am very interested.
  6. Tracknod

Tracknod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe he is talking about the Ralle-moto Dampner. They are made in Australia and here is the site.

[​IMG]
    Unless there is something else :scratch
  7. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    Attaboy:beer
    less then 30 seconds ago i too cut n pasted this data:
    http://www.rallemoto.com/products/steering_dampeners/bmwr1200gs.php

the unit above is for '04-'07 costs 950 AUD = circa $850+/_ plus S&H..

this is the unit on my bike ,,,exquisitely done ,,,every command at your finger tips,,and works as good as it looks:thumb

you get a 3'' bar-riser,3 riding style rebound dampening positions and 8 dampening positions:thumb

OBTW,,,there was no drilling or modifying anything in the process:thumb

FYI,,i happen to know where to get one of the predecessors to the kit below that works on '08 n newer units same price as this one,,,these aren't shown on the website....it looks and works like the unit above:thumb

Here's the ultra trick follow-up version that works on all 1200GS/GSA is 1295 AUD= $1100 + S&H
    [​IMG]
  8. pavement pounder

pavement pounder The road to Paradise is "UN-Paved"

Oddometer:
    Yes the Hyperpro can be adjusted on the fly. I just wouldn't want to do it on loose gravel, but on pavement, no problem! (as long as your arms are long enough!):eek1
  9. SocalRob

SocalRob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Woody,

There are also some options for the Scott's rotary damper, which I got on my bike for around $500 US. Scotts is a proven design among dirt bikers and road bikers alike. I wanted to go the Scott's route because their shop is only a couple of miles from my house & I like to support the local guys. My mount was from Gavin/Mort.

The RalleMotto kit looks great, but the installation and the cost was a bit more.

Of course the bottom line is that many are finding dampers to be a worthwhile add on, no matter the exact brand.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This particular mount makes use of some existing bolts on the frame so there is absolutely no drilling/welding. Very solid design. I am very happy with it.

The following thread has all the info on the damper & mount:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531380&highlight=scotts+damper
  10. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Woody,I'd be interested in where I can get that one that would fit my 09' GSA-I'm all ears.
  11. Tracknod

Tracknod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get in line there leftystrat....:eek1:eek1:eek1 LOL I PM'd him hours ago :)
  12. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hours ago,I pm'd him days ago...or was it months ago. And if you don't like my reply,then let's go out back and settle this like real men...rocks,paper,scissors :)
  13. Blur

Blur Gone.

Oddometer:
    Gyroscopic effect, Newton's first law, conservation of angular momentum....... whatever you wanna call it......
    If you're going fast enough, the bars will right themselves.

Assuming the front tire's still touching the ground.....
    otherwise, all bets are off. :lol3
    Vanishing Point likes this.
  14. slowinfastout

slowinfastout Halfway to nowhere in particular

Oddometer:
    Just got my Hyperpro today, installed it late this evening but its too late to go test ride. One more bit into the bottomless pit of farkling.

Anyways, here the photos of the kit and dampener for the GS12 series bikes. Still $ 400 on the group buy.

Attached Files:

15. slowinfastout

Oddometer:
    Installed on bike

Attached Files:

• hp3.jpg
      hp3.jpg
      File size:
      127.9 KB
      Views:
  16. slowinfastout

Oddometer:
    Detail shot installed

Attached Files:

• hp2.jpg
      hp2.jpg
      File size:
      104.7 KB
      Views:
  17. SocalRob

SocalRob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    SIFO - just remember as you are riding around with your new farkle and your bike feels like it is on rails, that these bikes don't need dampers and dampers are a complete waste of money.:lol3
  18. slowinfastout

Oddometer:
    Oh, Snap! I ..... I ...... I didn't realize it was a complete waste of money?! Whatever shall I do now? I feel.....lost. Oh my.

Please Rob, will you be there for me next time? Before I farkle again? You must guide me and keep us all from committing these horrible mistakes.
  19. woody's wheel works

Oddometer:
    LOL...that reply felt like a slooowww in fast out,,:wink:

w
  20. agiduda

agiduda paid to break shit Super Supporter

Oddometer: