Might be the best $400 I have spent on my GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by pavement pounder, Jul 5, 2010.

1. indycar

indycar Calmer than you are

Oddometer:
    Lighten up Frances! - who pissed on your Post Toasties? JvB didn't have any negative things to say about it - only that he didn't see a need - in other words, the improvements others (not YOU) have noticed don't seem to be a big enough issue for him to have discerned a problem. Note he never said others were 'wrong' about anything.

As for others OPINIONS, you're flippin' them off for having one that doesn't agree with others or yours, despite that fact that you haven't even tried one. And you're calling them tools?

The OP and others have made a case for the dampener. It's also (IOM) a little viral. Like one inmate said, ride a GS with one, then you'll know. That sounds like the best advice so far, and if I were inclined to buy a dampener, I'd be riding GS with one on it first.

Over the years, many have posted about the best this and best that and have had lots of agreement. But that doesn't make it so and enough times it turns out that maybe it's not as good as sliced bread. If you've been around the block a few times, you know this to be true and that the kool aid isn't always made to taste. That may or may not be the case here, but testing the water first is always wise.
  2. Killa Meter

Killa Meter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got a tank slap hitting a hole at about 120 kph on a gravel road , it was just one slap then it straigtened up and after I realized I was still alive I thought how great is the stability on this bike !
    Later on I wonder if a stabilizer would have reduced it to a minimum , and I was just lucky on the day, im not sure.
  3. Henry James

Henry James Looking for Adventure

Oddometer:
    I installed one of these today and took it for a test ride. Followed the instruction and changed the setting 2 clicks at a time. When I got to 10 clicks it seamed to work best for me. Did some close curves, some rough roads, one front wheel rise, track in some expansion cracks, and trucks on I-5. Didn't do any gravel roads, a little hot, 105. I really like the feel. Not sure how to decribe it but a noticeable difference after putting 65K on the bike (07 GS Adventure). Not trying to sell you on one, just giving my impression.
    HJ
  4. motorcity

motorcity DO YOU BELIEVE IN BIGFOOT?

Oddometer:

Steering dampers are primarily used to keep high speed wobble from turning into a tank slapper.

I have never heard of a GS having a tank slapper - I am sure they do- just not a very common thing.

You are saying that they take away of any hint of nervousness from truck buffeting makes no sense to me. The steering damper should not affect small, micro steering inputs. I could be wrong, but the way i understand it is The steering damper should only come into play when you have a a fast, large movement of the steering. The steering damper absorbs that energy - preventing a tank slapper.

I suspect what you are experiencing is psychological from having spent 400 bucks on something that you actually need to remove from your bike (or disable it) if you take it off road.
  5. pavement pounder

pavement pounder The road to Paradise is "UN-Paved"

Oddometer:
    I would be the first to tell you I got taken.

It controls all high speed movement so any road variations, or anything that would normaly move the bars or more specifically, vibrate them, will be absorbed. Wind buffeting for example, is gone. Of course the bike still moves but the bars stay in line with the bike eliminating rider fatigue over long hauls. Of course, you all know the benefits off road. Gravel now feels much better because not only are the bars in better control, tail wag is somewhat reduced because now the bike is trying to overcome the centrifical force of the front wheel. The bar twitch on gravel is gone and they are no longer "floaty"

As for tank slappers, I've only ever had one and it was on an XL250 after hitting a baby head stuck in the dirt road I was on. I don't know how I pulled out of it, I didn't even know dampers existed then (long time ago!) Now I don't think I'd get myself into one with the GS but now I feel more confident that it wont.

I too have mine set to +- 10 clicks. Seems like a good spot. Any tighter and it starts to be felt at low speeds (ie. turning)
  6. agiduda

agiduda paid to break shit Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Observations from Woody and off road conditions, although with a higher priced damper:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13418783&postcount=44
  7. SocalRob

SocalRob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting observation on your part, considering that steering dampers are very popular with off road bikes of all kinds. If it is all psychological, seems like I should keep it on the bike anyway per your reasoning.
  8. Tracknod

Tracknod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good thing you know you COULD be wrong... but here is a small sampling on OFFROAD endorsements:

I Can honestly say... riding the GS is almost night and day offroad with the Ralle Moto dampner... It makes sections of the trail where there are heavy washouts filled with sand a breeze to cross. If anything.. the damnper helps THE MOST OFFROAD!!! I know you're going to say.. "yeah.. they are paid to use it" but the damnper works offroad. It really is the idea that you don't know until you try it for yourself.

Oh.. and BTW... it really reduces being blown around on the tarmac by the 18 wheelers as well, but then again, my experiences are probably MORE psychological as I spent more than 400 bucks. LMAO
  9. slowinfastout

slowinfastout Halfway to nowhere in particular

Oddometer:
    OK, just got back from my first test ride with the Hyperpro installed on my GS12.

Impressive!

I ran it up to 8 clicks right off the bat based on what you guys are using on settings, and then settled on 10 clicks as perfect for blacktop. There is an immediate and decisive change in the way the bike handles. Its as if all the bushings were sloppy on the bike beforehand, and now you have new ones in the bike. Best I can compare it to is a BMW Car after 100K miles and you install new control arms and get that wonderful connectivity to the road back again.

The Hypercom does for the steering what Ohlins do for the suspension. Like the Ohlins, if you never have one to sample you won't know what you're missing, but after you've tried one you're sold on it.

I try a lot of different things on my bike, some stay, some don't. This steering dampener will stay. Thanks guys for pointing out how wonderful this device is. $ 400 is a lot to spend, but its well worth it. I'm firmly in the steering dampener camp now, for sure.
  10. motorcity

motorcity DO YOU BELIEVE IN BIGFOOT?

Oddometer:

I would like to try one now, after hearing what so many people are saying abou t them. I understand how dampers can help with high speed wobble - preventing a tank slapper, and also slowing down large, fast turns of the wheel, but these small movements of the wheel that everyone is talking about - I simply don't understand where a damper would help with that.

if they can affect very small steering inputs, then the damper should REALLY inhibit your turning of the wheel when going slow, for example. Something that is not desirable.
  11. SocalRob

SocalRob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Scotts damper I have is adjustable on the fly. On a very windy day I just reached down and cranked it up to max. You are right, at max setting the steering is stiff enough to be very noticeable at parking lot speeds. It does help if you remember to crank it back down.

On dirt I aslo crank it up, BTW.

Also, there is a high speed circuit (fast bar movement) and slow speed circuit (slow bar movement).

On about a middle setting, however, it gives the bike a noticeably tighter feel at speed, while being close to not noticeable at parking lot speeds.
  12. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    Is there enough rotation in those heim joints to give you full wheel travel?
  13. slowinfastout

Oddometer:
    As far as I can tell (bouncing the front end in the garage) there is.

Duane
  14. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    Sure would suck to find out there wasn't.
  15. JohnBryer

JohnBryer Adventure Poser

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the pics and review Duane.

Looks like I'm about to be $400 poorer! When are you coming out to Utah?
  16. slowinfastout

Oddometer:
    Hey John! Its a good farkle for the bike, you'll like it. That one Woody posted from 'Down Under' sure looks sexy, but almost 3x the price, hard to do.

I'd love to grab Eric and head out to do Utah. But then I think about crossing hours on end in the Plains states and .... and....then just ride up and down the Appalachians instead .

Duane<g></g>
  17. Tracknod

Oddometer:
    Actually, you don't need to purchase the $1100 ralle moto dampener as that just adds a new billet top tree and because of this, you need to have some special tools to remove the switch. I dont think you average person could install it with basic garage tools. The other ralle moto, the one for $800 and change just attaches to the stock GS tree. It is more complicated to install than the Hypermoto one, by a long shot, as you need to actually press out the stock steering head bearing and replace it with a new one that is supplied, but holy crap is it trick!!! I actually took about two hours to install mine taking pictures of the entire process, but my camera's card corrupted and I lost everything on that disk. When I get back to fl in two weeks i will take it back apart and do it again for the board.

The benefits of the rally moto are many that I see, and well worth the 300 or so bucks difference if you don't purchase the Hyperpro on a group buy. First off, it adds a set of risers that I would say is about two inches with half inch pullback from the stock position. Being that I didn't have risers installed and was looking to get a set, this is basically money I had already planned to spend.

Secondly, the ralle moto is fully adjustable with three different riding settings: desert, cross country, and motocross. All are different in the way and amount they effect the dampening. On top of this, you can also adjust the amount of dampening for each setting with another dial. All of this is done very easy on the fly by turning a knob on the riser for the amount of dampening you prefer, or you can flip a toggle between the type of damping.

Basically,the style of dampening is:

Motocross 100% to 30 degrees of turning, 0 dampening to full lock, and then no dampening on the return to 0 degrees where your bars are straight.

Desert is 100% dampening to 30 degrees of turning, nothing to lock, 0 dampening back to 30 degrees, and then 50% dampening from 30 degrees back to center.

Cross country is the same only it is 100% dampening back to center.

Then, after you have the type of dampening, you adjust the amount between nothing and full.

It is an amazing piece of farkle that has the craftsmanship of a work of art, plus it is fully rebuild-able and almost too adjustable. Lol So I paid a few hundred more for the adjust ability that the hyperpro doesn't have, at least not on the fly. Plus, like I said... it looks oh so sweet!!!

I'll do a full write up when i get back home in a couple weeks. Ask any questions you want and I will try to answer them or I am sure Woody can answer too, since he has it installed on his bike as well. I got mine from him, but BestRest is the seller of it in the states.
  18. agiduda

agiduda paid to break shit Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Will the ralle moto fit with the GSA crossbar?
  19. Tracknod

Oddometer:
    I don't have a crossbar on mine, so I couldn't tell you with 100% certainty, but I can't see why it wouldn't. There is nothing ABOVE the bar clamps like when you use a Scotts dampner.

[​IMG]

The picture above shows the dampner as if you were looking at it from the front of your bike. As you can see it is just a bar clamp basically.

One thing I did forget to mention is that this dampner also has places for you to mount a ram mount to. That is what the four holes are tapped for on the top clamp. This could possibly really come in handy for an avid Farkler... LOL

HTH
  20. sbrownn

sbrownn SlowMo

Oddometer:
    Yes, it will. I have one on my 1150 GS ADV.