Might be the best $400 I have spent on my GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by pavement pounder, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    ...ditto what SoCalRob and the others said...yeah, it' spendy but...

I almost gave up on buying an R12GS because every one I test rode felt twitchy, especially at freeway speeds and in side winds. But then again I came from an R11S.

Still, when the HyperPro was announced I here at a discount I got one.
    Now my GS handles much calmer.

I felt what I got in the shrinkwrap was a bit lacking for the amount I paid, but I'm glad I have it.

Having never had a bike with a damper outside of a '77RS, I never knew their worth. Now I can't ride a dirtbike without one.

IMO it's not an offroad unit, I doubt it would hold up long, but for the 95% street I use the GS for it's gall durn great.
  2. agiduda

agiduda paid to break shit Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I'll give the Hyperpro a try since it is already here and so easy to install. If pleased and then willing to payout extra for the ralle moto in addition to the extra installation time - I may give that a try.

I am so short on time to ride as it is.
  3. Mr.Efficiency

Mr.Efficiency Adventure Wuss

Oddometer:
    I'm very excited... a little embarrased, flattered, a little afraid

Anyway, somebody give me some input, should I get the adjustable or progressive. I am 90/10 on/off, never ride scary off road stuff do a lot of touring, run the slab like a rabid animal, dig my side-road twisties at moderate speeds.
  4. Rapid Dog

Oddometer:

Rob, where did you find the Scotts at???
  5. SocalRob

SocalRob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    See my post #49 in this thread. There is a link to the thread where I got the mount for the Scotts damper. Scotts may have their own mount by now.
  6. DELTATANGO

DELTATANGO Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer:
    I don't like it.
  7. LTCOliverNorth

LTCOliverNorth Peeping Tom

Oddometer:
    I do.
  8. DELTATANGO

DELTATANGO Motorcyclist and Dog Walk

Oddometer:

:rofl :rofl :rofl
  9. Xsbank

Xsbank Crusty Road Hazard

Oddometer:
    EPM's site seems to be toast - any other vendors out there that somebody here might have used? Websites?
  10. CarSalesman

CarSalesman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Works for me. http://www.epmperf.com. Were you typing in the whole word, epmperformance?

You guys got me - I ordered my damper today. Funny story - when I called EPM, a woman answered the phone. I said I wanted to order a steering damper. Her reply was "what year GS do you have"? I never mentioned that I had a GS, or even a BMW! Apparently we're the only ones buying them right now.

Don
  11. Xsbank

Xsbank Crusty Road Hazard

Oddometer:
    I tried all the links and even Googled it and no joy - then today I tried it again and it works. I'll give it a go. Thanks!
  12. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    For grins, I just tried the link, and it didn't work for me. :huh
  13. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    I probably would have really enjoyed having a steering damper last weekend at the RA rally's GS Trials. On my R100GS, not an Oilhead, but the reasoning is the same. Two things I can think of:

1) On the slow-speed obstacles, like the firewood pit and the rock pit (as well as rocks on the trail rides) the front wheel is prone to being knocked suddenly sideways, ESPECIALLY on the R100GS. More so than on the Oilheads IMO. I end up being suddenly steered to one side.

2) High-speed on loose surface, like when we were doing fast (well, not compared to Doug Morrison) laps on the 1-mile track, the front wheel was tracking back and forth like crazy. It would have been very nice to have that effect lessened (Doug was probably hitting 90+ on the straights on his HP2. I don't think I ever noticed my speed but it was maybe 60 or 65 at the most).

Sounds like #1 called for Motocross setting, and #2 called for Desert setting. Jason Adams has a Scotts damper on his R100GS; maybe he can chime in.

Some pics of the trials are in this thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598551
  14. Rapid Dog

Oddometer:
  15. malloy

malloy Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can anyone explain the installation of the HyperPro for an R1200GS? The website isn't much use. Is drilling or tapping required or purely bolt on? :ear :ear Much obliged.
  16. Rapid Dog

Oddometer:
    Purely bolt on.
    The big clamp goes around the left fork tube.
    The damper attaches to a custom clmp around the telelever.

In this pic you see a Wunderlich (I think) steering stop which I had to remove for the fork tube clamp.
    Pretty straight forward, takes about 15 minutes.
  17. Rapid Dog

Oddometer:
    Telelever Clamp just bolts on.
  18. Stagehand

Stagehand Imperfectionist

Oddometer:
    Hi! I have an airhead, but I may be able to contribute this, as far as riding heavy bikes:

I can say for sure that it increases available speeds and decreases fatigue by orders of magnitude.

If every little bike in the world can benefit from them, than moreso can the Heavies. A steering damper cranked up will let you power through 1 foot deep half cured concrete, such as you'd find on any good motoX track. Its a suspension unit, just like your shocks. Only it works laterally instead of axially. You wouldnt do without suspension damping, would you?

It will also increase your confidence through any syruptious (pun intended) slime puddle on your favorite dirt double track.

It will let you climb wet logs of camber and not rip your arms off and beat you with the bloody stumps. I can now hit multitudes of babyheaded rocks that might break my wrists otherwise.

Worst part of it is it makes everything seem too easy. Takes away the challenge.

Really, whats not to like. It takes away nothing (except a couple dollars) and can give you a lot. OK, so maybe youre not motocrossing your GS1200, but have this device will open up ground you did not have, regardless.

my .02. :D
  19. pavement pounder

pavement pounder The road to Paradise is "UN-Paved"

Oddometer:
    site and link work fine
  20. malloy

malloy Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rapid Dog. Looks simple enough for a simpleton:rofl .