Might be the best $400 I have spent on my GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by pavement pounder, Jul 5, 2010.

1. JohnBryer

JohnBryer Adventure Poser

Oddometer:
    I installed mine this weekend. This is a very worthwhile upgrade. The bike is so much more stable in turns now. Money well spent.
  2. WYGSer

WYGSer Ummm...

Oddometer:
    Great. So I read this thread, and this past weekend started noticing how I get blown around by crosswinds, big rigs, etc.

It was never an issue before. Now I'm out $400+. Gee thanks.
    :baldy
  3. oldfool

oldfool Long timer

Oddometer:
    I put the scotts on my hp2 for deep sand. Not a little dirt on the side of the road but where there is no road around at all. Maybe if you pushed the bike into harsh conditions you would see the benefit. It's really a trade off because I didn't spend any money on huge metal boxes or windshields for my bike. Just do what makes you happy for your use and have fun. Richard
  4. SocalRob

SocalRob Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has ANYBODY put a damper on a GS or GSA and not thought it beneficial? Is there one naysayer?:lol3
  5. WYGSer

WYGSer Ummm...

Oddometer:
    I'm sure there must be ONE - haven't heard from him/her yet. I haven't gotten mine yet but after spending $420 I'm damn sure gonna say it was worth every penny and MORE!!!

:evil
    :rofl
  6. Finder

Finder Adventurer

Oddometer:
  7. JohnBryer

JohnBryer Adventure Poser

Oddometer:
    It does not. I have it installed and there are no issues.
  8. Rapid Dog

Rapid Dog bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer:
    The Wunderlich steering stops do interfer though, I had to remove one.
  9. Xsbank

Xsbank Crusty Road Hazard

Oddometer:
    I have a '98 R1100R with a shot steering damper, i.e. no resistance at all. I got a used damper from a Kawasaki (Hyperpro) which uses the same stroke as the one spec'd for the 1100. I used the old mount and the Kawasaki clamp and it fits perfectly. The difference is subtle but definitely better, less "looseness" on crappy Quebec roads, less corrections required after recovering from a bump and smoother countersteering when avoiding the worst of the so-called road-surface here. I got away with a $135 bill and the damper is in great shape - the only thing wrong is its black, not red!:evil
  10. MisterMo

MisterMo mach schnell!

Oddometer:
    Let me be the first to cast aspersions.

I put mine (Hyperpro) on about two weeks ago and finally over the last couple days have ridden enough to form the beginnings of an opinion. I have only ridden on 10 "clicks".

First, I've got a R12GSA which is MILES better on the highway than my old R12GS. I can see how the Hyperpro would make an enormous difference on the highway smoothing out the turbulence with a R12GS. I don't think the difference is as large on a GSA.

Second...Today I rode on some gravel roads with it. The damper seemed to dull the steering feedback from rocks, gravel and the like. Yes, it made things smoother, but it also took away a lot of the feel that I like that lets me know what the bike is doing. Turn ins weren't as quick and I felt like I had to put a tiny bit more effort when initiating a turn. This is something I could likely get used to. However, I'm used to the old feel and it didn't bother me.

Third... The bike feels like it's on rails. This is good and bad. The damper has definitely settled down the steering and it's less twitchy. However, sometimes it feels like it wants to go straight a bit longer when I've instructed it to begin a turn. To me, it feels like the damper has added some weight and lengthened the wheelbase of the bike.

Fourth, last and most importantly...I almost dumped the bike twice over the last two days. The HyperPros placement on the left fork leg significantly reduces the bike's left turning radius. Now, rather than hitting the steering lock, the damper creates the left steering lock. A couple times, I tried to do a hard left U turn, but the bike didn't/couldn't go where it used to go. This completely threw me and I nearly dumped it twice. For hard right turns, there's no difference.

It's easy to install and I'm pretty sure I did it correctly. Assuming this is the case, I'm very surprised the reduced left turning radius issue hasn't been mentioned in this thread til now. This might be a show stopper for me. On two lane roads, I can no longer do a tight U-turn like I used to. Figure 8's in the MSF class will be much wider to the left. For me, the intereference on the left is a big deal when my 99% of my Uturns are to the left. Perhaps if I were in the UK, on the other side of the road, I wouldn't have discovered this. I may try to re-install it on the right side so that I can go hard left, but if this can't be done, then I may take it off.

I can certainly see some advantages of the HyperPro, but also see some disadvantages. I intend to keep playing with it and see if it grows on me.

I'll dial back the clicks to something less than 10 and see how that feels. However, my biggest gripe is the increased turning radius and that won't change unless it comes off.

From reading this thread, I thought the HyperPro would make the bike a handling miracle-machine. So far, what the HyperPro improved (smoothness on the highway), I was content with. What it changed, (feedback and turning radius), I liked better the stock way.

My .02
  11. Xsbank

Xsbank Crusty Road Hazard

Oddometer:
    You 'must' have the clamp on the body of the damper incorrectly placed as there is no intention in the design for it to act as a stop.

Try 5 clicks and go out again, after you have adjusted the clamp.
  12. Rapid Dog

Oddometer:
    yes, that sounds wrong. I cam make u-turn on a two lane country road no problem. best check your install.
  13. mkletecka

mkletecka Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. oyalhi

oyalhi Riding, not writing

Oddometer:
    You have DEFINITELY installed it wrong. The installation is quick and easy; however, you have to pay very careful attention. I have installed it on to mine, my brother's and my friend's (GSA, GSA, GS). I first installed mine, checked that it was not touching anywhere when the handlebar is turned all the way to the either side and I was done and happy. A couple of days later I installed it to my brother's bike thinking that I am an expert :rofl However, it turns out that we had to spend about 2 hours making small adjustments on his bike. It turns out that by mere luck my installation on the first bike was perfect. I now understand it a little better that it is not as quick as it looks.

All 3 bikes we have installed, there are no problems whatsoever in either left or right turns, there is no early *stop*.

I will try to get pictures of mine soon if that helps anybody.

Regards,

Omer
  15. oyalhi

Oddometer:
    On another note, I find that all the screws are downwards (hyperpro) and am worried a little that the screws will loosen in time. It would be quite dangerous if that happens when I am riding at 180km/h on the highway. I fell that I have to check the screws every time I get on the bike to see if they are loose.

Any thoughts?
  16. malloy

malloy Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    LOCTITE
  17. Rapid Dog

Oddometer:
    ditto
  18. Geezer1000

Geezer1000 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I reckon a damper would be a great job on a GS. I found the front end to be very light and twitchy. Have to look into getting one. After i fix up me bike seein as i highsided it on sunday:puke1
  19. oyalhi

Oddometer:
    Thanks Malloy and Rapid Dog. A quick search on Henkel's site reveals that there are many types of Loctite. 222, 225, 240 etc etc. They all seem to do the same thing. Which one would I use? Would it matter much?
  20. Rapid Dog

Oddometer:
    I think blue would be sufficient, red not necessary IMO.