Might have found an app that works on the bike

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by kderacing, Jun 14, 2020.

1. kderacing

kderacing Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, so like many I have tried a bunch of different apps and always find myself back to using the Garmin unit, which I love. However their software is really annoying given that you can't install the maps directly onto your computer. Reading the maps from the USB connected device makes planning painfully slow. Maybe better on a PC but on a Mac and a very powerful Mac it is just brutally slow. Anyway others probably already know about this app called scenic but I just found it. I've been doing some testing and so far I love it! So I though I'd share my initial impressions and experiences with it here

Stay tuned though because next month we're doing a trip that will be mostly Offroad and trails. So I'm very anxious to see how this app does in that situation. There will also be a lot of tree cover too, so should be a really good test to see if possibly I can start using this to plan my routes. I will still export to GPX and see if I can copy those directly to the SD card of my Garmin unit. Very cool and my apologies if I'm the last one to the party in terms of discovering this app but I just used it and I like it!
  2. turtlespeed

turtlespeed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you can install the map on the computer. When in Garmin Express , let the device get recognized, then click on Map Details > Map Options > Install to Computer.
    Arch and wbbnm like this.
  3. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    That sounds really nice. I have never heard of it. Do you know what maps and what Garmin devices it works for?

I have a Montana and people often ask this question. The answer is typically you can only install maps on the computer if you bought the download version.
  4. turtlespeed

Oddometer:
    I bought a used Garmin DriveSmart 50 for $20 (from ebay) and that comes with Life Time Maps. The Map I see on the Base Camp is City Navigator NA NT 2021.1 latest version (released feb 2020). I can use it even without the Garmin connected to the PC. The map is routable.

Not sure if you can move that map to Montana. But when you update Montana through Garmin Express, you shoudl get the same option for Montana maps.

List of Garmin devices compatible with BaseCamp: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=ibaD6nXprG7ewZpVKmw7t9

I have also installed OSM US NE Topo Maps, which I can move to my Garmin GPSMAP 60csx... that Map is also routeable ...
  5. Magus

Magus Never grew up... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like Scemic but IOS-only. :(
  6. kderacing

Oddometer:
    I'd love some help on this because when I go to this option it seems to only want to install purchases to an SD card.

Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 10.20.20 AM.png

Attached Files:

7. kderacing

Oddometer:
    Also this was the response I got from Garmin when I asked about this.

"Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I do apologize for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, downloadable content can only be installed to a compatible device or SD card, and cannot be installed to a computer."
  8. turtlespeed

Oddometer:
    let me put screenshots of my sequence.

click on drive smart > click on Map Details > click on Map Options and then click on install on computer.

Please try to install on a SDCard. If you plug that SD card into your laptop, BaseCamp will identify it. Make sure that the map file is in a folder called garmin. Ref last iamge.

upload_2020-6-15_11-37-38.png

upload_2020-6-15_11-38-2.png

upload_2020-6-15_11-38-26.png

upload_2020-6-15_11-44-16.png
    bkoz likes this.
  9. turtlespeed

Oddometer:
    upload_2020-6-15_11-49-53.png
  10. kderacing

Oddometer:
    As you can see there is no "Map Options" or even "Map Details" this may be an OS X thing but there are no options to do any of the steps you're suggesting. I'll try the direct copy to an SD card.

Attached Files:

11. wheel2wheel

wheel2wheel Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just bought the Zumo XT, so I am still fooling around with the device. I can view most of my installed maps in Basecamp as long as the unit is hooked up to my computer. Once i pull the USB plug, the maps disappear. Because of this, I have installed OSM Maps, which I can installed into Basecamp. I can create and edit routes thru Basecamp without having my GPS device hooked to my PC. The routes can then be uploaded to my Zumo's SDCard.

The one thing I am really missing when using basecamp is the loss of Google Earth functionality.
  12. kderacing

Oddometer:
    I can confirm that a direct copy from the SD card in the unit and another SD card that you plug directly in does in fact work. Kind of a hack but hey at least it works. Thanks for the help!
  13. turtlespeed

Oddometer:
    check this post out to connect your device as Mass Storage and then you can copy the map to computer for offline usage.

http://www.poi-factory.com/node/41416

This may not work for new devices that have DRM.
    wheel2wheel likes this.
  14. turtlespeed

Oddometer:
    try copying the SD Card to "C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps" (or similar on your PC) ... and see if it works without the SDCard ...
  15. wheel2wheel

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I will be checking this out.
  16. wheel2wheel

Oddometer:
    I was able to install NA2020.10 onto my computer by using your method in post #8. Funny, I did not see the map install option before, maybe the software changed with the update.

Thanks.
  17. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Android version is in development.

--mark
  18. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haven't they been saying that for 2 years?
  19. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    Guido (the developer) discussed his plans pretty openly for a long time, but it was always a roadmap (no pun intended). I'm pretty sure that at this point he's actually hired an Android developer to port the app for him, but that was fairly recent.

--mark
  20. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll believe it when I see it. It is frustrating for everyone to recommend Scenic as a good nav app, assuming everyone uses a damn iPhone.