Mike and Shelley go to Europe and ride around some

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AMEretired, Sep 6, 2018.

1. AMEretired

AMEretired Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ship a bike to Europe, leave it for 5 years or so riding for a month Spring and Fall

Has a good sound to it yes.? Sure, watching, visiting, reading about others is very exciting and motivating, But I had to ask myself why a 70-year-old would even consider it. I may not stay healthy for 5 years, hell, I may not be sentient for 5 years,

Plenty of great rides out there., we have done some. There are great zero stress tours out there, did a bit of that also. So, I asked myself why and kept coming up with the same answer
    `` I don’t know``. After that rattled around in my old head for quite a while I realized that ``I don’t know`` is what drives me, what motivates me and is the answer to the question of why I need to do this.

Once that decision was made we could start planning in earnest.

Nothing fancy, let’s just call this Mike and Shelley go to Europe and ride around some.

We may try to put this report up while on the road, may work, may not, we will try but may have to finish it at home. Please feel free to follow along and jump in anywhere.

As a small intro here are a couple of our rides.

https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/it-was-great-craic-mike-and-shelley-go-to-ireland-and-ride-around-some.1092045

https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/mike-jay-and-shelley-go-north-to-alaska-and-ride-around-a-little.1026849

Europe Trip starting September to October2018 leaving from Calgary and ending in Zagreb.

Bike prep for 2 up with luggage.

2013 V-Strom 650 purchased used with 11,000 km.

10000 km check and stator recall before delivery.

· Basic servicing, oil and filter, coolant change, valve clearance (all good), spark plugs, replacing brake fluid, air filter.

· OEM tires replaced with Pilot Road 4.

· Chain and sprockets not replaced. Scottoiler added.

· Suspension replaced with Cogent units. World's Edge custom shock with remote preload adjuster. Rear spring is 700-inch pounds. Front fork oil replaced with five weight. Seals also replaced. Cogent DDC installed in the forks with 70-inch pounds Springs. I added fork skins but may remove as they are a pain with the fork brace.

· Seat cover and padding replaced with seat Concepts cover. The rear section was then raised. This was done by Calgary seat cover. Both sheepskin and Air Hawk are available for use.

· Electrics added as follows. Digital voltmeter, Eastern Beaver headlight relay harness with a switch to shut off both low beams, Eastern Beaver PC 8 fuse box. Powered Mount added and wired for Nuvi 660 GPS. A sunshade for the GPS. GPS mounted using an Adventure Tech bracket and Ram mount. RAM mount and X bracket added (can be used for phone or Inreach tracker. Oxford heated grips added. 1 accessory plug added.

· Lighting. Top box brake lighting from Admore installed. Small LED lights from Clearwater lights added with mounting bracket and illuminated switch.

· OEM windshield replaced with Givi airflow unit.

· Luggage a. The top box is a Givi E52 that we already had. This was mounted using a universal mount. Metal rack added to the top of the E52. Side racks are Givi cam racks and the boxes are small Trekker Outback. 3M protection added to the top of each Outback box. ROK straps added to the top of each Outback box and on the top box. tank bag is a Wolfman Rainier.

· Fender extender.

· Givi crash bars added and filled with foam to try to mitigate vibration.

· No skid plate added at this time.

· SW Motech lowered foot pegs added.

· Front vent extensions added for turbulence control.

· Barkbuster storm handguards

· Adventure Tech Fork brace added.

· Tool tube constructed and added. Obviously carries tools but can also carry wine as it was size for same.

Here are a few photos of the bike preparation.
    We tried to make the pillion seat a bit more appropriate.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. AMEretired

Oddometer:
    This is where the dream becomes real.

[​IMG]

I have a video of dropping off the bike but am unable to embed it. The problem seems to be that I am a Smugmug user. A quick search revealed that I may have to find another location for video hosting. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
    edit: Problem solved ( I think).

[​IMG]

Anyway, here is the basic plan.
    Arrive Frankfurt on the 9th of September, take the train to Mainz for rest and malted beverages. Return to Frankfurt on the 11th to pick up the bike and travel until early October. Store the bike in Zagreb and fly home.

We will use small roads but this is the basic route.

[​IMG]
    Thanks for looking
    Mike
  3. keithg

keithg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IN!
    AMEretired likes this.
  4. BOBaloo22

BOBaloo22 Tony & Catnis

Oddometer:
    Sounds awesome! sub'd
    AMEretired likes this.
  5. AMEretired

Oddometer:
    Not very awake but the beer was good. 20180909_155145.jpg
    Ozarks Rider likes this.
  6. AMEretired

Oddometer:
    Anyone know what this is? 20180909_131132.jpg
    Ozarks Rider likes this.
  7. AMEretired

Oddometer:
    Fortunately i do not have to drink alone. 20180909_155112.jpg
    Ozarks Rider likes this.
  8. AMEretired

Oddometer:
    Here are a few photos from Mainz today. Just a beautiful town. 20180909_140457.jpg 20180909_140444.jpg 20180909_143534.jpg
    Ozarks Rider, RblueR and BOBaloo22 like this.
  9. AMEretired

Oddometer:
    After a short trip from Mainz, clearing the bike through customs ,release from air Canada and reloading we were ready to ride . As it turned out we learned quite a bit about losing our way, map reading and losing our patience (with each other and the devil GPS ) on this day.
    Here are the shipping details for anyone interested.
    Shipping weight including bike. full paniers, dry bags and a hockey bag of riding gear was 288kg.
    total cost payed to Air Canada was less than expected at CDN 969.70
    IMG_0636.JPG CDN $969.70
    IMG_0636.JPG
    Ozarks Rider likes this.
  10. psychohawk

psychohawk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A scooter, probably 50cc 2 stroke and from the fifties or sixties.

A google on the brand didn’t return results but there are similair Czech ones as I described.
    AMEretired likes this.
  11. Dalmatino

Dalmatino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I assume you will continue with rest of Croatia in spring! It be a shame to miss rest of the coast and some of the Islands at the least.

I'm pleasantly surprised with the AC flight for the bike! Good to know as I was debating if I should fly mine next year or buy one there.

Safe and enjoyable trip...
    AMEretired likes this.
  12. zundappuk

zundappuk Watch out chaps its a Focke!

Oddometer:
    On the Siegfried Line in the German Eifel
    AMEretired likes this.
  13. peejayess

peejayess Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Following - enjoy
    AMEretired likes this.
  14. AMEretired

Oddometer:
    zundappuk likes this.
  15. mickshere

mickshere Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Currently in Berlin, the scooter looks like "Boris bike" ie council owned for rental
    AMEretired likes this.
  16. Kayakgk

Kayakgk Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dude you look soooo much better at 70 than I do at 60 its scary.
    AMEretired likes this.
  17. AMEretired

Oddometer:
    Thank you for that,Just the miracle of modern photography
    Mike
  18. AMEretired

Oddometer:
    Here it is day 10 of the trip and I am way behind, apologies. Much respect for all those who post on the road and can keep up as its much more difficult than I expected. Anyway we are glad to be back.

[​IMG]
    Ozarks Rider likes this.
  19. AMEretired

Oddometer:
    Had to figure out what the hell was wrong after making a right screw up of navigating to Trier. The devil GPS was not really at fault as I had fed crap in. It is still evil but we are getting along better. A day ride out of Trier was planned to regain sanity. This really is a special day !!! A beautiful sunny day with the Moselle at our side up to Cochem. A bit touristy but quite beautiful. Truth is we wee happy to just not be lost. The climb out of Cochem is a great riding road.
    not terribly long but excellent. Back to Trier where the bike was able to rest in the back garden

.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ozarks Rider likes this.
  20. AMEretired

Oddometer:
    The next day was a day of long walks , good beer, good wine and good food. Nothing like Roman ruins and great company to center you.

[​IMG]
    Mind boggling. The wall was several Kilometers around and the Porta Nigra was just a small part of it.
    Taken from the web.
    The Porta Nigra was built in grey sandstone after 170 AD . The original gate consisted of two four-storeyed towers, projecting as near semicircles on the outer side. A narrow courtyard separated the two gate openings on either side. For unknown reasons, however, the construction of the gate remained unfinished. For example, the stones at the northern (outer) side of the gate were never abraded, and the protruding stones would have made it impossible to install movable gates. Nonetheless, the gate was used for several centuries until the end of the Roman era in Trier.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]