Mike and Shelley go to Europe and ride around some

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by AMEretired, Sep 6, 2018.

1. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    R440 down the middle of Bosnia to Sarajevo is great! You have already been down the coast no?
  2. AMEretired

AMEretired Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope not yet heading south on this trip. I will look at that Road and thank you.
    Mike
  3. Umbrianissimo

Umbrianissimo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Mike,

Just a few days left; hope you are feeling settled and ready for the trip and the ride. We're off to Italy for three weeks on the 15th of sept, and I'm already getting the pre-trip list-making-agitation thing going. We'll be doing train travel this time, so I'll be looking forward to your posts about your latest trip. Inspiring!
  4. AMEretired

Oddometer:
    Thanks, hope you have a great trip. I look forward to your thoughts on travel Italy as we will be , assuming all goes well , there in a year or so.

Seriously ready to get moving!! Arriving Zagreb Sept. 5th.

Here are my basic thoughts for this trip.
    Back to Croatia we go, first stop Zagreb.
    From Wikipedia
    "The area known today as Croatia was inhabited throughout the prehistoric period. Fossils of Neanderthals dating to the middle Palaeolithic period have been unearthed in northern Croatia. Croatia first appeared as two duchies in the 7th century, the Duchy of Croatia and the Duchy of Pannonian Croatia, which were united and elevated into the Kingdom of Croatia which lasted from 925 until 1918."

From Zagreb.com
    "Zagreb’s history dates back to the Roman times when the urban settlement of Andautonia, inhabited the location of modern Ščitarjevo. The name Zagreb first came into existence in 1904 with the founding of the Zagreb bishopric of Kaptol. In 1242, it became a free royal town and in 1851 it had it's own Mayor, Janko Kamauf. In 1945, Zagreb was declared the capital of Croatia. Today Zagreb is the highest populated and the biggest city in Croatia."

Too much history, too many stories, too much conflict, too much space to absorb in such a short time. The best we can hope for is to look, listen, respect all and absorb as best we can. Fine, we will ride, have already ridden, a ton of great roads, meet lots of folks, eat, drink, walk, hike, smile and laugh, perhaps shed a tear, stub a toe or 2 and finally get into the sea. In other words just LIVE in our time there :D
    Mike
    Umbrianissimo, yokesman and Cal like this.
  5. AMEretired

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Goodbye Calgary
    Hello Croatia
    [​IMG]

September 5 to 9 in Zagreb
    Once again we stayed at Lobagola B&B. Once again Dooby and the staff were excellent. All our needs were met as were the needs of our Sella.
    I continue to recommend Lobagola to one and all. We REALLY recommend them.
    So, what to do for a few days?
    Nikola Tesla Technical Museum | Museums in Zagreb, Croatia

Aircraft,, vintage cars, an 80-year-old snowmobile, a World War II mini-submarine, 19th-century fire engines and a Dubrovnik tram from 1912. There's also a small planetarium, flanked by a life-size model of an unmanned Soviet moon-roving vehicle, and a similarly true-to-life copy of the American Mercury programme space capsules of the early Sixties. The section dedicated to Nikola Tesla illustrates just how advanced this turn-of-the-century pioneer of electricity generation and radio transmission actually was. Daily demonstrations in his laboratory involve a short lecture during which some of his inventions are put through their paces.

WOW. We were not prepared for the depth of this museum.
    [​IMG]

A nice display of fire fighting equipment.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One serious wine press!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Like this!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not too sure about this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And much more. This is a Tesla lab. Very cool.
    [​IMG]
  6. AMEretired

Oddometer:
    We were fortunate to spend a morning with a marvelous man who is also a falconer.
    So, meet Schpella (spelling is questionable) the Harris hawk.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Photo bombed by a Harris hawk !!!!
    [​IMG]
  7. AMEretired

Oddometer:
    September 10.Time to ride !!
    Sella had returned and spent the night communing with bikes from other cultures.
    [​IMG]

Time to say farewell to Dooby and Lobagola. Perhaps we will meet again. We would like that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We wanted to shorten the day a bit by slabbing for an hour or so.

[​IMG]

Bloody good thing we did a s the next section got a bit long

We were delayed by a few small Glinas (lost, re-routing, stops, fuel).

Sella in travel attire.
    [​IMG]

Lunch in Otocac was excellent.

[​IMG]

BUT, also serious and sad as the reminders of what this beautiful part of the world has endured are never far away.
    [​IMG]

What REALLY slowed us down was this .
    The Mali Alan pass out of Sveti Rok toward Zadar.
  8. AMEretired

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Mali Alan Pass is a mountain pass located in the southern part of the Velebit Mountains (Croatia), at an elevation of 1,045m above sea level.

Velebit is the largest though not the highest mountain range in Croatia. Its highest peak is the Vaganski Vrh at 1757 m. The range forms a part of the Dinaric Alps and is located along the Adriatic coast. The route to Mali Alan Pass (or Halan) starts in a small city named Korenica. The road starts as narrow paved road, and after crossing Sveti Rok tunnel, it turns into gravel.

It’s highly recommended to stay always in the trail, because the zone is very dangerous offside the path. The whole area was frontline during the war and the Croatian authorities have posted several signs along the road, warning the danger of mines
  9. AMEretired

Oddometer:
    Aaarg. Sorry about the multiple posts, sometimes this tablet and I do not get along well.
    Anyway.
    [​IMG]

Mali Alan is beautiful, although a bit challenging on a fully loaded Vstrom with pillion (at least for me)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was quite looking forward viewing and sharing the GoPro video which I believe would have been quite good if there was a card in the camera.
    I cannot Friggin believe I did that, CRAP !!!&&&@$%"

We did complete the crossing and arrived Zadar Diklo to a warm greeting and cold beer.
    Dinner, more beer, and a bit of a walk ended day one of riding.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next couple of days would be spent relaxing in Diklo and finally being able fo swim in the sea.

Attached Files:

Saso and Cal like this.