Mike's Scotland thread.

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Yodagoat, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Roark

Roark Laissez-faire

Oddometer:
    Scotland is amazing.
    We did a quick week's trip last summer on an R1200R from rentamotorcycle.co.uk and loved every second of it. I especially liked the parts from Lairg to Tongue and the northwestern coast after Tongue. Incredibly peaceful and quiet, next to no traffic and great scenery.
    We'll definitely do a longer tour of Scotland in the future with my own bike. Is the IJmuiden-Newcastle ferry a good option?

[​IMG]
    Our route, approximately.

[​IMG]
    After Glenelg-Kylerhea ferry crossing.

[​IMG]
    Old Man of Storr in the distance.
  2. Yodagoat

Yodagoat Made in Scotland

Oddometer:
    The Newcastle Ijmuiden ferry is what I use to get across. It saves having to go through England.
  3. barba

barba Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great! Thank you for this thread!
  4. BGil

BGil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice pictures ! What's the best time to visit Scotland on a motorcycle ? August ?
  5. Quikbrew

Quikbrew Eager

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great trip. How long did it take you?
  6. Roark

Roark Laissez-faire

Oddometer:
    We did it in a week, plus a couple of bikeless days in Edinburgh before and after. Some of the days got to be a bit on the long side, at least to my girlfriend's liking. We could've easily spent 2-3 weeks on the exact same route, maybe staying a couple of nights in some places and just doing more stuff off the bike (castles, distilleries etc.) in others. The cost of doing that on a rental bike would've been prohibitive, though. Next time, maybe next year, we'll take my bike and really take our time.
    Quikbrew likes this.
  7. Three Dawg

Three Dawg Into Africa

Oddometer:
    May, July and especially September. October can be good, but the days are starting to get short. August there are too many families and camper vans around and accomodation can be difficult. June can be wet.
    Yodagoat likes this.
  8. Yodagoat

Oddometer:
  9. Three Dawg

Three Dawg Into Africa

Oddometer:
    Aye, and in September (second weekend) there is always the National Rally of Scotland- a cracking excuse for a good long ride.

Nice RRs BTW.
    Yodagoat likes this.
  10. Yodagoat

Oddometer:
    I've never ever heard of this rally, where is it? Seen the Harley in the glens thing and Kelso bike fest etc. There's usually a rally in Dunbeath too but I think that's earlier in the year.
  11. Yodagoat

Oddometer:
  12. Three Dawg

Three Dawg Into Africa

Oddometer:
    This is like the ACU English National Rally (or if you stretch the imagination, an Iron Butt) - it's challenge based so you have to ride a set number of miles during the rally visiting checkpoints- the only 'get together' is at the Final Control at the end of the event. Have a look at my sig, there's a report in there somewhere. I normally do the 450 mile 'Merit', but there are several different ones you can do.
  13. Yodagoat

Oddometer:
  14. Yodagoat

Oddometer:
    Cool, I'll give it a look. I rode my old ZZR back from Germany in a one-er so I've been looking for some closer to home distance stuff to convince my mates to join in. I could have joined the Iron butt club after that ride if I had been bothered to keep my receipts and stuff.
  15. vanseagal

vanseagal Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, me and my three (two from Finland/two from Germany) friends have advbikes and we are planning to tour around Scotland about a week next summer. Is there long gravel roads what we could drive? Any other great tips are wellcome.
  16. Three Dawg

Three Dawg Into Africa

Oddometer:
    Not that I know of. Don't worry about that though- get your bikes fitted with some nice sticky rubber and you'll have plenty of fun!
    Fenianbastard likes this.
  17. Yodagoat

Oddometer:
    No, not really. Some of the singletrack roads have patches of gravel on them but they're all mostly tarmac. Take Three Dawg's advice.
  18. Three Dawg

Three Dawg Into Africa

Oddometer:
    It bloody kills me on the odd occasion I head down the A9 to see all those tasty looking tracks heading off into the hills around Drummochter, but riding 'em is a big no-no even if you can get past locked gates. I even asked our local 4x4 school if I could come up and get some time on their tracks prior to my recent trip to Africa, but they said no, the neighbours specifically object to bikes. Yeah, like my 1100GS make any noise at all...:dunno

Here's a tip: Get to Durness and stay two nights so you can dump your luggage. Ride the A838 to Ullapool like it's the Nurburgring. Have fish and chips on the quay. Turn round and ride back at sightseeing pace via Achiltibuie (pint or a coffee at the Summer Isles hotel), then back track to Lochinver and Drumbeg and back to Durness. The following morning ride south again with all your gear at sightseeing pace to see what you missed, dropping in to Oldshoremore to see the beach. Oh boy, I do like the roads up here. Except the A9 between Inverness and Perth.

[​IMG]
  19. Yodagoat

Oddometer:
  20. Orinoco

Orinoco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's lovely, where in Scotland?