Mike's Scotland thread.

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Yodagoat, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Yodagoat

Yodagoat Made in Scotland

Oddometer:
    There isn't much there. Good wild camping spot though.
  2. Three Dawg

Three Dawg Into Africa

Oddometer:
    Well I have a thread on Laverdaforum called 'Slap your Beach Up' with pics of bikes at beaches, so maybe it can go there, but also I need to photograph an abandoned film set outside of Badcaul for my 'Fast Disappearing Rural Gas Stations' thread. Tragic, I know, but I'm not one for pootling aimlessly around so I often hang my rides around photographing things.

[​IMG]
    Yodagoat likes this.
  3. WolfComm

WolfComm Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks much for the tips. Once I make it up there I'll post some pics.
  4. ktompkins

ktompkins Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey Mike & Three Dawg,
    Thanks for all the information on places to ride in Scotland. I will look into the ferry ride as mentioned. I tend to ride more than stop to smell the roses but plan to smell a few on this trip plus try out some local beer. The area I live in Newfoundland has some Scottish background. There was a group of step & square dancers from here who went to Scotland a couple of years ago and the style was extremely similar to Scottish dancers. Their ancestors were from Scotland.
    Mike, I had a look at some of your rides and love what I see. The more I see the more excited I get about this trip!
    Thanks
    Three Dawg and Yodagoat like this.
  5. Three Dawg

Three Dawg Into Africa

Oddometer:
    After reading one of Mike's blogs, I thought I'd check out a place on the west coast he mentioned- Slaggan Bay.

The forecast today looked promising, so me and Mrs 3D decided to head over to the west coast for a wee picnic on the long suffering GS. Slaggan Bay; it's miles from anywhere- a good thing to be if you ask me.

[​IMG]

Rough terrain vehicle you say? Yep, this'll do nicely

[​IMG]

Road was OK, but hadn't seen any maintenance in a while

[​IMG]

There was a village here once. The last building was abandoned in the forties.

[​IMG]

Beach is mighty fine, and it was warm.

[​IMG]

Reckon that must be Harris under the clouds on the horizon

[​IMG]
    Picnic!

[​IMG]

Heading back towards the main road- North Coast 500!

[​IMG]
    Thanks to Mike for the inspiration!
  6. Yodagoat

Oddometer:
    Glad you liked it Three Dawg. I'm just back from Orkney. I'll get a post up soon.
  7. Three Dawg

Three Dawg Into Africa

Oddometer:
    Look forward to it. Always good to go somewhere new- I say to my guests that Scotland is a big country folded up into a small space...
    Yodagoat likes this.
  8. Scottishgaucho

Scottishgaucho n00b

Oddometer:
    All those pictures of the 'old country' are making me homesick. Great thread Yodagoat.
  9. Bibio

Bibio n00b

Oddometer:
    here ya go peeps for future referance, pretty much every petrol station in Europe http://www.whatgas.com/syndication.aspx?Place=Cambridge&colour=7D7D7D just zoom out and move about then zoom in on the area/place your looking for petrol. its kept fairly well updated. bookmark it on your phone.

if you see me wave.. i'm the little nutter on a blue faired SV650 with a gsxr front end.
  10. Starstriker

Starstriker www.transasia.se

Oddometer:
    Hi guys. Swede here. I live in Stockholm and have been riding all around Europe, and crossed Asia (Korea-Stockholm) by bike. The last couple of years I have been exploring Scandinavia to depletion. My fatherhood only lets me head out one week/year, so going to Scotland via Dover is out of the question. There was a ferry from Denmark, but I dont think they are operating anymore.

I just wanted to see if someone would be interested in swapping bikes for 1-2 weeks in 2017? I really would love to see Scotland, but Im not willing to pay 20k EUR to rent a bike for 7 days.
    My bike is a brand new 2016 BMW Adv with all bells and whistles. In 2017 it will probably be a 2017.

I dont know if this is a good idea, but Im up for discussion. Maybe interested? Email me at tunare@gmail.com

Have a great day! /Kristian
  11. ullukk

ullukk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Excellent thread Yodagoat, reading this is certainly wetting my appetite for my trip up north tomorrow, bags packed and bike loaded up ready to go, about another 12 hours turn of the clock and were off!!, no camping for me and the missis on this one tho, first stop Strontian forra few days then up to Bettyhill for next weekend, was hoping to visit an old schoolmate who "emigrated" to Orkney a few years ago but he's offshore at the moment so think just gunna spend the second week working our way back south stopping here and there.

Thanks again for great thread mate, one more sleep to go!!.
  12. Three Dawg

Three Dawg Into Africa

Oddometer:
  13. the_jest

the_jest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this thread, which has provided a lot of useful info already!

I'm planning a two-week trip in late September-early October, starting and finishing in Edinburgh. Will be riding two-up. Haven't started planning a route yet, but have a place to crash on Skye for a few days, and want to visit some distilleries.

I gather people still like rentamotorcycle.co.uk?

Any thoughts about what will be enough bike? Not planning on deliberate off-roading, but want to be able to handle whatever we'll come across. All things being equal would rather spend less than more on the rental, but certainly not going to ruin a once-in-a-lifetime trip by getting a too-small bike to save a few pounds.

Thanks in advance! Incredibly excited by this.
  14. mountaincadre

mountaincadre Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jester any big tourer will do, there is in reality no of road riding so don't worry about getting a big Katy or such like, the weather should be okay but be prepared for anything, I'm just outside Edinburgh so if you have any issue's let me know, as for bike hire there are a couple large shops that will have lots of choice, (Saltire suzuki /two wheels) both in Edinburgh and online, if yer going to Saltire try and call and speak tae Callum he'll be helpful.
  15. G 981

G 981 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't have Reggie hogging all the photo opportunities. :D

Few weeks ago I took a trip from Stirling down through Argyllshire for fish and chips in Tarbert.
    Weather was spot on, and to be honest hasn't been as good since, until these last couple of days.

Start at Stirling castle
    [​IMG]

via Carron Valley dam
    [​IMG]

Arrive in Tarbert
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then head down to where my grandfather used to live
    [​IMG]

Atlantic in the distance
    [​IMG]

Then to burst my bubble one of the (brand new) rear wheel bearings shat itself passing Loch Lomond on the way back and I had to get a friend to collect it and me in his van. Oh well.
    [​IMG]
    tigersteve likes this.
  16. Rootical

Rootical roving reporter

Oddometer:
    We can help you with touring in Scotland - many of our customers fly in to London and pick up one of our bikes and ride North - we can arrange airport transfers, local accommodation for overnight intercntinental decompression ;-), great rides, gear, luggage, GPS, routeplanning etc. By all means check out our website RoadTrip.uk or RoadTrip Motorcycle Rental on Facebook and TripAdvisor - we'd be glad to assist you with your next tour.
  17. dammitdave

dammitdave Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yodagoat,
    Thanks for starting this thread. 'Been lurking on advscotland and accumulating tips and possible destinations. I appreciate all the contributions from 3dawg et al. Planning a trip from 8,000 miles away, on a budget, means planning ahead so as not to waste your time doddling on the A roads or in the urban wastelands. Thanks again fellas!
  18. Three Dawg

Three Dawg Into Africa

Oddometer:
    MIke, just seen the C90 video - genius, funniest thing I've seen in a long while.
    Yodagoat likes this.
  19. Yodagoat

Oddometer:
  20. Parademic

Parademic Tourer Bore'er

Oddometer:
    Hi Mike. Ur post said to give u a shout... So I am. 4 of us are off to Scotland later this year for a bit of touring. Included in that we're after some wild camping spots that are off the main drags but accessible with a bike.

Ideally we'll be mainly over I'm the Highlands and the passing around the Isle of skye. We'd love some spots that are both scenic and secluded where we can pitch up and camp with our bikes next to us. Once of the bikes is a triumph trophy, so dirt tracks might be an issue but any advice or spots u can recommend would be great!

Cheers,

Gareth

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk