Milky coolant eveywhere!!!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Nobiman, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Nobiman

Nobiman Orange... the color of insanity.

Oddometer:
    Ok, for some reason the LC4 is starting to puke antifreeze every time I ride it lately, and for some reason its a milky white color. Usually its just a few drops, but today it got substantially worse.

I broused through the LC4 Index looking for a hint of why this might be happening and nada.

I recently did Creeps valve cover re-seal (it went without a hitch, thanks Creep) and decided to change the coolant while she was tore down. This is the first time that I noticed the milky color of the coolant, and it had some thin jello like coagulations (?) in it also. Up to that point, it never spewed out though. I filled and flushed repeatedly until I got all of that stuff out of the system, then re-filled and went on. In the Index, I did see where a silicate free coolant is required for these bikes and I uesd the pre-mixed Prestone 5/150 back when I refilled the system. I just went out and looked at the container and it does not say silicate free, so is that part of the problem? That would make me feel better but the fact is, the milky color was there before I changed the coolant. So far, I have not seen the temp light come on either, seems like that thick milky shit would keep coolant from circulating and cause overheating problems to me.

What'cha think?

Randy.
  2. rjf

rjf SBS's #1 fan in January

Oddometer:
    Gosford, NSW, Aust. Scrambler, 640Adv, 300EXC
    The milky stuff is probably oil mixed in with it.

All sorts of stuff could be causing it, like blown head gasket, etc.

But there have been a fair few LC4 owners post here with similar issues to yours, and most if not all, have been water pump related. I haven't had any issues like this so cannot tell you how to sort it out. there's this thread in the index http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132369

Hmm... Most times I've seen this, not in my LC4 thankfully, its been a bit of coolant in the engine oil, not a little oil in the coolant. could be some thing different to the water pump.
  3. Nobiman

Oddometer:
    A pic of the mess its making. I've quit riding it now 'til I get it figured out.
  4. rjf

Oddometer:
    :eek1 :eek1 :eek1

Faaaaaaarrrrrrrrkkkkkk.

I'd check the engine oil is at the same level and not polluted. (the oils the engines life blood, the coolant isn't vital in comparison, so, long as you don't overheat it)

then drain all that milky stuff out.

If the oils fine, id flush the cooling system and refill with a different type of coolant.

If the oil isn't fine, don't start it, the oil will need to be replaced, but there's no point doing that till you fix the problem.
  5. Nobiman

Oddometer:
    The oil and oil level is fine, the thread you found for me must have slipped by me when I was looking through the Index. It mentioned milky oil, which is not my problem. Im not liking what I think it might be after reading that thread though. Oil in the coolant? (blown head gasket?) It does not feel slippery though, maybe there's not enough in it to make it feel slippery. Either way something is bad wrong. Going to bed, I'll check here again in the morning.

Randy.
  6. Taki

Taki Waiting for Godot

Oddometer:
    Milkman mad at you?:D

"I just went out and looked at the container and it does not say silicate free, so is that part of the problem?"
    Seriously, I would replace and flush the cooling system. Is it possible the the prior owner made the same mistake with silicate coolant? If the problem continues after flushing the system check the head gasket.
  7. Nobiman

Oddometer:
    Thanks Taki, there is no prior owner. I bought it new. I'll be out on a quest today to try and find the right coolant. Somehow, I doubt I'll be lucky enough for the problem to be that simple. Anyone with a more definate prognosis?

Randy.
  8. Ruffus

Ruffus Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer:
    everying I ever learned about engines say's the same as previous post, check coolant for oil & check oil for coolant, that would be a head gasket issue,or at worst a cracked block, but since you say oil & oil level are good, I think the cost $$ factor just dropped a bit, good luck
  9. rjf

Oddometer:
    The easiest way to check for a head gasket failure is to start the bike up with the radiator cap off. If it starts to get bubles in it you probably have a failed head gasket. Its not a definuitive check but a good indicator.

I've never heard of pre-mixed Prestone 5/150 , We probably don't get it here. It's posible fully flushing the cooling system will resolve the problem. I doubt it though as it must be reacting with some thing to go milk like that, either the engines oil or exhaust gasses / fuel mixture.

As you said the engine oil level and condition is ok, Id guess a slight head gasket failure (a failures a failure realy though) that is letting exhaust gasses and mixture into the water jacket every time the piston goes up the cylinder.

But lets wait for someone thats had a water pump failure comment first
  10. Nobiman

Oddometer:
    Ok RJF, I'll try the test. Then I'm out'a here to go find the right coolant, I'll need it no matter what the root cause of my problem is.

Thanks, Randy.

Oh, FYI, here is the coolant in use now. It doesnt say silicate free anywhere on the container. FWIW.
  11. Nobiman

Oddometer:
    No luck as figured finding the right coolant on a Sunday at auto parts stores. I did do the test that RJF suggested and she is definatly blowing bubbles. It took about 2-3 minutes of idling before the first one showed up, the pic was taken after 4-5 minutes. Damn it! We were going to leave for Colorado on the 4th with me on my 640 and the wife on her 400. Looks like I'll be bumping her off of the 400 and onto her KLX 250S, and we'll both be losing a few ponies in the process.

Im gonna drain/flush the old stuff with straight distilled water and see if/how much of the jelled stuff is in there again, then pick up some motorcycle friendly coolant on Monday.

Keep the comments & suggestions coming if ya have any, Thanks.

Randy.
  12. Taki

Taki Waiting for Godot

Oddometer:
    Head gasket is only a few hours of work...
  13. ysr612

ysr612 Long timer

Oddometer:
    tear the eng down see what gasket is leaking (head) replace and ride.
  14. Nobiman

Oddometer:
    Yea, what started of as orange coolant is now this shity color. I guess its time to get a head gasket here in a hurry.

As was so nicely put by RJF............FFFFFFFFAAAAARRRRRRKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!
  15. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Did a quick search for ya on Gurgle:

http://www.prestone.com/carcare/faq.php

So you should be silicate-free. Perhaps that page has some other info for your problem.

Since you just did the valve cover reseal, which could be involved with this, that is a good place to start... after you entertain everything else that is less labor intensive. :D
  16. Nobiman

Oddometer:
    Ok, heres a new twist. I have filled, started and ran it up to a temp where the fan comes on and drained 3 times today with distilled water in an attempt to remove all of the old coolant. On the 4th fill, I realized that the bike was not spewing out of the over flow tube anymore. So I took it for a 15 mile ride while watching the temp gauge and the back of the front fender for overflow. I rode hard and fast, putted slowly through parking lots and reached about 75 mph for 2 miles on the last stretch of road up to my house. Then I pulled into the driveway and let it idle for at least 10 minutes, and ya know what?, yup you guessed it, not a drop leaked out through the whole process. WTF?

Im still gonna order a gasket set and I'll have the proper coolant tommorrow night when I get off to see how it acts with a little coolant in the mix instead of straight distilled water. ???????????
  17. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Did a quick search for ya on Gurgle:

http://www.prestone.com/carcare/faq.php

So you should be silicate-free. Perhaps that page has some other info for your problem.

Since you just did the valve cover reseal, which could be involved with this, that is a good place to start... after you entertain everything else that is less labor intensive. :D
  18. Nobiman

Oddometer:
    Very interesting Meat, so I was already unknowingly using the right stuff, wow. That confuses me even more now. A friend of suggested a possibility, he said that he has heard that water is a better coolant (I have too) than antifreeze and that possibly the 50/50 mix does not agree the characteristics of my motor and wondered if I should try for example, a 70/30 AF/water mix to see if it would run cool enough to stop overheating. Of course, if the head gasket is blown, thats all for naught, but now I cant get it to spew again. Tommorrow night I guess I'll let the water out again and add a 70/30 mix, or maybe a 60/40 mix since the engine will already be full of distilled water and take it for a ride to see if it will act up again.

If ya have any thoughts, put 'em down 'fer me. Thanks all.

Randy.
  19. rjf

Oddometer:
    Hmm.,,, Maybe the bubles are a byproduct of the preston stuff and the water . :dunno

Some Radiator repair places can do a pressure test on the cooling system and tell you whether the bubbles contain exhaust gasses or not.

Some times a head gasket will only leak at cetain temps, as the heat expands the metal in the cylinder and head.
  20. Ruffus

Ruffus Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer:
    does your bike have a thermostat?? if so it might have been a little plugged up & not opening completely till ya flushed it a few times,, also check your hoses,, same thing, they could be plugged with grunge, don't ask me how the hoses get that way, I have no idea, but I've seen a couple plugged up & that was the overheating problem on a buddies XRR & on my boat year's ago, hardly ever run into it so it's always the last thing I think of,, good luck