Million dollar bridge mistaken identity

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by djroszina, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Rackemcrackem

Rackemcrackem Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer:
    djroszina,

Send a PM if you decide to come over to Cordova on the ferry. I live here and can point you in some favorable directions.
    It looks like we're getting a new ferry this summer and I expect it will run from Whittier and Valdez to Cordova several times weekly.

The information posted regarding the Million Dollar bridge is mostly correct. The approach to a bridge at approximately 35 miles washed out a few years ago and the state has no plan to repair it in the foreseeable future. In the last year, the road between the 35 mile bridge and the MDB has also washed away and a couple of miles of it may be completely impassable. A couple of locals have been operating airboat and/or jetboat services to transport passengers to view Child's Glacier for several summers. I don't know whether they will continue, now that the road has washed away. There may be a few miles of rideable trail beyond the MDB.

Otherwise, Cordova has a nice mix of pavement and gravel roads that can be explored in a day or two. If someone is interested in punishment, a few 4-wheeler trails, sandy braided creeks on the delta and some old logging roads that are overgrown with alders can be ridden. I would join you but my V-strom and I draw a line at easy 4-wheeler trails, with an emphasis on easy. :D
    AKDuc and djroszina like this.
  2. djroszina

djroszina Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, my next time up from the lower 48 will be August 2020. Depending on time and budget, Cordova is a wild card. I will be either on an F650 Dakar or a DRZ400S, both packed light. This will be my 5th time up and am looking for more obscure locals to explore.
    Rackemcrackem likes this.
  3. Oldthmpr

Oldthmpr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be in Cdv to fish again this summer, not sure if I'm going to bring my bike. I will only have a little time at the beginning and end of the season to ride might be able to borrow a buddies triumph for a ride or two...at least meet for a beer
    djroszina and Rackemcrackem like this.
  4. Rackemcrackem

Oddometer:
    Give a shout when you're about to come over this way. Few things are better than ending a day of fishing with a good beer.
  5. Oldthmpr

Oldthmpr Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll be there for Servs toward the end of April.
  6. Rackemcrackem

Oddometer:
    Oldthmpr,

If it works for you logistically, it's fun to transport a bike across the sound on the ferries. Weather conditions generally make riding possible (and sometimes quite good) here in late April, although snowy days are possible. Every winter is different and I just saw a local riding his KLR up my abnormally frost and snow-free street 5 minutes ago.

I'm here year-around but may need to be in Anchorage for a few days around the 3rd or 4th week of April.
  7. MaggieR

MaggieR Morbidly Obese

Oddometer:
    Don't know about this "Jack" character, but I see the word "Cheeto". Where? When? How much?