Minginui - Matawai - Motu Midwinter Madness 2009 NZ

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by clintnz, Jul 27, 2009.

1. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    MMMMM 09

2009 was the 5th year of the midwinter madness ride & the weather, the riders & international guest star Pooey conspired to make it the best yet.

The Friday afternoon saw an early knockoff to meet up with a few of the other starters at my shack. We set off around the lakes, collecting Paul & Rex along the way. At Te Teko we turned south into the hills & managed to enjoy some gravel & dodge the heavy showers that were hovering around the surrounding forest.

We fuelled up at Murupara then set off to Minginui to pre run, in reverse, the first part of the next mornings route - through the dirt roads of the Kaingaroa Pine forest on the western edge of the Urewera national park. The pace was quite ah, enthusiastic for the first section, then as darkness fell & the drizzle turned to flakes of snow we slowed down a lot.

[​IMG]

The evenings destination was the Rangitaiki Tavern on the Napier-Taupo Rd. We pulled in there to find a gaggle of adventurers already firmly established in the bar with their wet gear drying over the fire. :beer

[​IMG]

The Wellington crew had copped a spot of rain on their way up but that hadn't dampened their spirits. A few beers later we were supplied with a mighty fine roast dinner by the new proprietors of the Tavern. After a few more beers it was off to bed in the cabins. Marion at the pub had pulled out all the stops to accomodate our over-capacity crowd. I don't think the boys considered it a great hardship to be sleeping on a mattress on the floor of the bar right next to the fire.

The morning dawned rather nippy.

[​IMG]

That didn't deter Eddie who had set off from Wellington at 4am in the freezing dark to make the start line by 8:30 :bow

[​IMG]

28 keen riders set off from the pub, on a diverse selection of machinery ranging from Rosie's Super Sherpa, the enduro boys on a DRZ400 & 525EXC, the usual flock of DR650's, a big turnout of LC4s, a couple of KLR's, & a Triumph Scrambler through to a few big KTM & BMW twins.

We collected a couple more starters at the Waipunga turnoff then barrelled across the high Kaingaroa plains to Minginui. We were running the cornerman system through the maze of forestry roads. I did my best not to hold up the sharp end of the field as I led on the way through the forest. My local knowledge plus the big field of backmarkers to pass once they had been relegated to a corner kept the barking pack of KTM V twins & HP2s at bay a little. We re grouped at Minginui before heading 100km right through the guts of the Urewera National Park to Waikaremoana.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Over in the distance I could see a dusting of white stuff on the higher hills.

[​IMG]

4Skins gave me a go on his 990 which was great fun, but on the tight twisty gravel of the Waikaremoana road I could hear a little voice coming out from down near the motor somewhere saying 'RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAY!'

I reposessed the 640 for the hillclimb up to the Hopruahine summit & soon we were above the snowline. The few stray snowflakes we had encountered the night before were obviously on the edge of a decent dump up here in the hills.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We wound our way down to the lake & around it's shore...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...then called into the motor camp to fuel up & eat all their pies.

[​IMG]

Then I got custody of Pooey. I told the bird that I couldn't take fancy pics like all the photo geek seppos he's been hanging with but he was insistent that there needed to be plenty of images for his adoring public.

[​IMG]

We had a look back out over lake Waikaremoana & the Panekiri Bluffs before descending towards Wairoa on the East Coast.

[​IMG]

At Wairoa we called in to Oslers Bakery for some of their famous pies.

[​IMG]

From Wairoa we dealt to some highway then just as the clouds darkened & the rain intensified we saw ahead a beacon, a shimmering tower of light, an island in a sea of wet tarmac & sodden paddocks... The Tiniroto Pub!

[​IMG]

Pooey checked out the local beers, we advised him to try a Tui. It's not a bad drop & if you drink anything else around these parts the locals might accuse you of being an Aucklander, or worse, an Ocker. :beer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pooey introduced himself to a few of the friendly locals but when he started to ride the goanna we thought we better get out before we got kicked out. :lol3 By then the rain had stopped & the odd ray of sunshine was poking through.

We turned off the main road & rode into the sunset on a scenic web of backroads.

[​IMG]

The gravel roads on our route were in great condition & much fun was had by all as we made our way through the hill country sheep stations. Our destination was the end of the road. Journeys End Station. A 4000 acre sheep, beef & deer farm on the eastern edge of the Urewera National Park owned & run by my friends the Shermans. Malcolm was there waiting outside the shearers quarters with a roaring fire & a trailer load of beer when we rolled in - what a legend! :clap We parked the bikes under the woolshed & got stuck into some serious beer fuelled bench racing.

[​IMG]

Ann had been busy cooking up a huge meal for the masses & the home grown lamb & venison went down extremely well with the hungry horde. :dg I am sure the glowing reports of the hospitality at Journey's End are the main reason for the increasing popularity of this ride.

After dinner we sampled Rosie's superb mulled wine & Pooey got a bit out of hand again, mainly due to being led astray by the Stones - swilling Wellington boys. :freaky No doubt some incriminating pics will surface shortly.

Sundays pics will be up tomorrow.

Cheers
    Clint
  2. 4Skins

4Skins Johnny to most...

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Book book, book kaaaark!
  3. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    good stuff (as usual) Clint

keep it coming

and thanks again to you and Rosie for organizing a brilliant ride
  4. XTC

XTC Taz

Oddometer:
    :lurk:lurk:lurk
  5. Dessert Storm

Dessert Storm Dances With Drunks

Oddometer:
    Great RR and photos. Looks like top motorcycling territory! :clap
  6. Oaters

Oaters Old - not bold - moto riding addict

Oddometer:
    thanks Clint & Rosie for a great ride - kewl pics and report - cheers Aslan
  7. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    We rolled out of Journeys End to take in some more enjoyable backroads out to Matawai.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]

One KTM ran dry about ½ a km from the gas station & had to be topped up by a Suzuki – the shame!<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>
    After the smaller tanked members of the crew had topped up & the team had raided the Hard Drive Café (in NZ the cornerstone of any nutritious breakfast is the meat pie) we set off down the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Motu Rd</st1:address></st1:Street>, a rugged, isolated stretch of gravel road that would take us out to the coast.<o:p></o:p>
    Pooey enjoyed the views out over the hill country.<o:p> </o:p>
    At this ford the little shit was directing all the BMW riders through the deep bit: :evil
    <o:p>[​IMG] </o:p>
    <o:p></o:p><o:p> </o:p>
    [​IMG]

When you see this, be afraid… :lol3 <o:p></o:p>
    …but actually the ford wasn’t tricky at all. Fortunately a few of the boys laid into it to produce a good splash for the cameras. :clap <o:p></o:p>
    We continued out through Toatoa.<o:p></o:p>
    Just after here while riding sweep I came across a stationary R1200GS. Rob’s beast had given up the ghost. We checked the battery was tightly connected – the extent of my canbus diagnostic ability – but there was still no sign of life, so I zoomed on in pursuit of the pack which contained at least a couple of blokes who knew a bit about BMWs. I didn’t find them until the regroup point in Opotiki, but there were 3 of the crew who were keen to help when I explained the situation & the Bavarian behemoth rescue squad tore off into the hills armed with a can of WD-40 in case the enthusiastic water crossings had been the cause of the stricken Beemer’s woes.<o:p></o:p>
    The rest of the group took to the road again, not many pics from me as I was leading the charge. After a little highway we took in a gravel diversion through <st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Stanley Rd</st1:address></st1:Street> around the back of Whakatane, regrouped at Awakeri then diverted again into my long way home scenic commute route through McIvor Rd & Manawahe Rd around the back of <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeType w:st="on">Lake</st1:placeType> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Rotoma</st1:placeName></st1:place>. This completed the weekends loop & took us to my shack at <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeType w:st="on">Lake</st1:placeType> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Rotoiti</st1:placeName></st1:place> & an ale or cuppa in the sun before the riders dispersed home in every direction.

[​IMG]<o:p></o:p>
    Cheers<o:p></o:p>
    Clint<o:p></o:p>
  8. Kiwi-441

Kiwi-441 Kiwi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good writeup & ride again. :clap

Thanks Clint.
  9. Dino3310

Dino3310 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Awesome Clint.
    another mmmmmm gone buy, i'll have to pull my finger out for next years one(shit i said that last year as well), i'll start buying winter woolies now so i got no excuse for the next one:wink:
  10. jafar

jafar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Waiuku, North Island, New Zealand.(godzone)
    nice writeup guys :clap:freaky
  11. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow! Beautiful ride, report and pics :thumb
  12. NZGSer

NZGSer Momentum is my friend

Oddometer:
    This may well have had something to do with Rob’s misfortune Clint.
    [​IMG]
    Believe it or not there’s a 1200GS (still upright I might add) in this photo, totally impressed with how Rob managed to hang on to it.
    Despite the drama there must have been something to chuckle about – I forget what that actually was though.
    [​IMG]

All the signs pointed to a failure of the BSK unit, not common at all, and a can of WD-40 wasn't going to fix it. He ended up getting in a tow truck heading for Auckland at some ungodly hour.

This is how that crossing is normally done, courtesy Chris on his 950SE :D

[​IMG]<o:p></o:p>
  13. XTC

XTC Taz

Oddometer:
    Hopefully something as silly as the side stand switch.......
  14. Chanderjeet

Chanderjeet IndiYeah !!

Oddometer:
    :ricky:ricky:ricky

looks like you guys had fun !
  15. Ohuraboy

Ohuraboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Any starter to do a ride like this again?