minimalist/land art or machine/technology sites/references?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hotwheels22, Aug 19, 2019.

1. hotwheels22

hotwheels22 formpig.com + motorradRP

Oddometer:
    apologies to the mods if this should be moved to inmates.

gents.
    1. anyone know of any minimalist art or land art sites in the US?
    2. anyone know of any good references or sites for culture history as it relates to machines and/or technology?
    THANKS

note:
    i realize that second one is rather broad but i’m trying to put together a bit of a list.
    any historic machine/technology sites in the US? i’ve been to various sites such as the deutshes museum in germany and the institut art et metier in paris and i’d like to focus in on some things closer to home.
    again’s bit of an open ended question but interested in ideas or thoughts or picking the brain of anyone with similar interests.
    -
    also posted in trip planning.
  2. Wentwest

Wentwest How's that work?

Oddometer:
  3. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't have a list but for what you seem to be interested in I would research mining, heavy equip, museums/web sites for possibilities to explore.
    hotwheels22 likes this.
  4. drhach

drhach We can't stop here, this is bat country!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe you could post some stuff that you have so that it's clearer what you are looking for.
    hotwheels22 likes this.
  5. hotwheels22

Oddometer:
    this site which was posted is very good for land art: info@staraxis.org

but also looking for things like the Very Large Array in New Mexico or maybe the Mount Wilson Observatory which was built by folks that worked with Sperry manufacturing in the 1900's. or the Hagley Museum which seems to have some content from Sperry. it's sort of a theoretical interest and i am trying to define it better even though i am not totally clear on it.

chris burden's work is very interesting from the art-machine perspective.

but again trying to define it better as i go along...
  6. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    hotwheels22 likes this.
  7. hotwheels22

Oddometer:

yeah. i might have to get a list together.

rotterdam probably has a bunch. there’s a cool citywide piece by a guy named jan fibbers in paris called s monument to francois arago. paris observatory has a solar constellation thing.

was thinking this morning it would be really cool to almost have a restrain checkout radio button selection process.

you could have artist names. “large scale”, “land art”, “minimalist”, “ecological”, and also geographic and show results in a clickable map.

user submissions and user edited.

would be pretty damn cool.
  8. redprimo

redprimo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For land art Robert Smithsons spiral jetty in the great salt lake near salt lake city is a classic.

From there you could head south to Amarillo Texas to see Cadillac ranch.

Head west to just north of Flagstaff AZ , to James Turrell's Rodin crater. While not yet officially open it is expected to open within the next 5 years and is worth a look, at least check out their web page.

If your on the east coast Storm King in up state new York has a lot to offer.

While not exactly minimalist. but a couple of other notable art destinations are the Rodin collection at Stanford University in Palo Alto. CA which has one of two copies of the Gates of Hell which is outdoors and can be enjoyed free if charge.

Just north in San Francisco's knob hill neighborhood is Grace cathedral which has a set of Lorenzo Ghiberti's iconic gates of paradise. The originals are at the florence Babtistry in Florence Italy and are widely regarded the piece that signifies the beginning of the renaissance period.
    hotwheels22 likes this.
  9. hotwheels22

Oddometer:
    /nice/. thanks. need to research storm king. have heard of it but don't know much about it.

got half a mind to bum rush roden crater. i actually heard him speak at school. MassMoca has an /amazing/ permanent installation of his work.

heard anything about Ross's Star Axis...?!
  10. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    hotwheels22 likes this.
  11. hotwheels22

Oddometer:
    ah yes! awesome! will research this more when i get back. but more nemo please tom! that’s great.

also, you just reminded me of a guy who’s work i saw once and has always stayed with me. need to start finding more of it. he’s a bit obscure but the stuff is /fantastic/!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panamarenko

https://www.panamarenko.be/
  12. hotwheels22

Oddometer:

lol. great. great. have you seen this guy theo janssen?

https://www.strandbeest.com/
  13. hotwheels22

Oddometer:

man. you got me rolling.

chris burden. flying steamroller...

Beezer likes this.
  14. Beezer

Oddometer:
    very kool stuff. kinetic art & sculpture. as for the Nemo, this is the story, and how it has been presented at various shows...

The 1883 Terra Ambulator
    Mark II

The Victorian gentleman's preferred method of conveyance, this rare example is the North American version, minus the armaments. Very few were made and verifiable records show this motorcycle was designed and built for the son of an Indian Rajah, the Prince Dakkar, also more commonly known throughout the world as Captain Nemo. Although Nemo disappeared in the Maelstrom, he was not killed, he simply wanted to disappear. He later toured northern Europe, the Baltics, and Africa. He rode this bike from Paris to Dakkar, “ just to see the town named for me”, thereby completing the first Paris/Dakar. He then apparently rode east at least as far as Uzbekistan, where the remains of the bike were discovered in a humble garage in the late 1920s. They had been abandoned there for many years, and were in poor condition.
    The remains of the bike were eventually shipped to Belgium where it underwent a partial restoration. It was shown as a static display at the Liege Exposition in 1930. Jacques, the son of Professor Pierre Aronnax saw it there, and bought the incomplete bike and took it to France where a no expense spared restoration was started. It was a laborious process, and although they got it running, the restoration was not completed due to the outbreak of WWII. The bike disappeared again.
    As an aside, the original Tiffany windshield was placed in the Louvre the day before the Germans took Paris. It has never been seen since. There are no surviving pictures, and Tiffany will not answer any questions about the colors, pattern, or shape of the windshield. Apparently, LC and Nemo had a dispute about the windshield and LC issued an order to finish the work, but never discuss the work or mention Nemo again. That order stands even to this day.

WWII was not kind to the bike. Late in the war, the Germans apparently used it as a messenger and ammo hauler. It eventually disappeared yet again on the Eastern front, only to resurface 4 decades later in the Glastnos days in the former East Germany. It had changed hands many times, passing through people not knowing its historical importance.

A German friend in the diplomatic services stumbled upon it and acquired it. He would not disclose what he gave for it. He knew I would be interested, so after discussion and evaluation a trade was agreed upon. The bike was secretly shipped to Czechoslovakia where a shady Russian packaged it up and shipped it to Provideniya as spare parts for a “Yugo”. The borders are quite porous on the eastern edge, and shipping here to Alaska was a small obstacle.

I have used all the original parts available and followed the best documentation to make this as close to the original Mark II as possible, BATF rules do not allow the original armaments. They don’t quite understand them beyond the obvious fact that they are deadly.

edit: since this was written I have a partial reproduction of the Tiffany windshield.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did a build thread on "Some Assembly Required" but P-Bucket hijacked my pix... plus a lot of things happen over the years. and yes, I have a couple trophies, but we move on. you've seen my hovercraft right?
    hotwheels22 likes this.
  15. hotwheels22

Oddometer:
    now i know why some people default to permanent snark replies. they’re terrified of being punked.
    this text is some kind of onion like send up of all those precious builder descriptions i gather? i mean the bike is so nice i almost hate to ask.
    also. file under “i never thought i’d say this sentence” but - you have a hovercraft beezer?
  16. hotwheels22

Oddometer:
    ok. it is a real build.

yeah. so you really need to get a web page or put together a For Immediate Release pdf with the text and pics.

i am in the airhead world. this is the perfect time for that. people will almost literally die laughing with that write up. and it will get written up like crazy i think.

plus the steampunk aspect is super relevant.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/1883-terra-ambulator.845635/
  17. Beezer

Oddometer:
    hotwheels22 likes this.
  18. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Also in Paris, on Quai Bercy. The old wine storage "cellars" for the Bordeaux wine shipped up by sea to Paris. Now a whole range of things, the one that caught my eye was the sides by side boulangerie and patissiere schools. The obviously older, even mature students were taking great pains to follow the no doubt comprehensive instructions from the Maitre Chef. They all had little noteboobs and kept measuring the temperature of their pate.
    The rest is other training establishments and a whole raft of craft and art atelier as well as the ubiquitous cafes and shops. Walking up westwards through the gardens, you come to the Frank Gehry designed building which stood empty and forlorn and unfinished for a long time - rumoured at one time to be the new US embassy - but now the Louis Viton foundation building.
    hotwheels22 likes this.