Minimalist Touring Thread (250cc and under)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by SIKLR250, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
  2. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you engineer everything for a rare occurrence, the bike would become extremely heavy. Although, those bicycle bags are probably a little too lightweight for a motorcycle.

I like the AltRider Hemisphere bags. I bought the complete system but you can just buy the holsters if you want. The holsters are just heavy duty material that you then place your waterproof bags into. They will protect the waterproof bags. I just used the holsters by themselves this past weekend but on longer rides, I will take the larger bag that is included with their system.
    derblauereiter likes this.
  3. derblauereiter

derblauereiter Mostly made of cheese Supporter

Oddometer:
    Holster sounds perfect, thanks!
  4. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Here is the holster. It fits the Medium size Sea To Summit compression bags perfectly.
    I can strap another bag to the top if needed.

FCD6FEA8-7500-4E0C-83FE-B1C2605997E4.jpeg
  5. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    I am unpacking after the weekend trip. The extra minimal trip went well. I am a coffee addict and was worried the cold instant coffee might be awful but it was fine (does the make me a real addict?). One thing I was missing was rain jacket but a garbage bag worked perfectly. I weighed the entire setup, including the AltRider holsters and it is 12 pounds. I am thinking I might not need to bring a stove and pot with me anymore.

E3FB9D25-FE99-4FFA-B544-2D7C36690253.jpeg

4B5693B7-D7DE-4837-B21B-E0CC04F5826F.jpeg

My bike is hiding behind me. The BMW to my left is the opposite of minimalist. He has been getting better but has more work to do. The big heavy beast bit him pretty hard, we were ripping along at 60+ on some dirt and suddenly he was not behind us. He got spit off, the bike flipped several times down the road. He broke a rib or two. He is a really tough guy, he camped with us that night, eventually he had to get up, he could not lay down. He tried sitting but that did not work either. He ended up standing all night! One of the other guys got up at 2am to pee and he was just standing there. He rode with us the next day but cut out around 3 to head home.
    td63, Fallacy, Ginger Beard and 5 others like this.
  6. PlowHand

PlowHand Ancient, ugly and happy :-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    R.E.S.P.E.C.T Jason! For you (minimalist) and your friend (hard dude). Although - broken ribs can be life threatening. He should have gone to the hospital. I hope he is doing ok now.

Also, next time try putting that garbage bag under your jersey. I prefer it that way and you may as well. :-)
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  7. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    I was putting a MX chest protector over the bag, then a summer riding jacket. It was supposed to be 85 degrees and dry this weekend but it was 50 degrees and rainy.

Yeah, the punctured lung thing is scary but he had no breathing problems. We tried to get him to stop by the hospital but he refused. Have you seen the show titled “The Patriot”? That is who he reminds me of.
    td63, Ginger Beard, StanBo and 2 others like this.
  8. powderpig

powderpig Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I see you've discovered Thermocell...those things are the bomb for mosquito repellent in the backcountry!
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  9. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Yes, I got them a few years ago for an Alaska trip. They worked really well. I don’t usually carry them with me. They are sitting there as a reminder to put in the van.
  10. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    @Joe Motocross will be impressed.
    td63, Ginger Beard and Yinzer Moto like this.
  11. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    If I ride my Honda Forza 300 (279cc) naked could I play in this 250cc forum?

Is a 279cc CVT SCOOTER the same as a 250cc motorcycle?

Or do I have to GO!
    PlowHand, MYUMPH and Yinzer Moto like this.
  12. derblauereiter

derblauereiter Mostly made of cheese Supporter

Oddometer:
    I say you can stay if you do the naked thing.
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  13. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    PlowHand and Yinzer Moto like this.
  14. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    Damn bloat cycles. :lol3
  15. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    American sized ultralight bikes!
    davenowherejones and Yinzer Moto like this.
  16. MYUMPH

MYUMPH 'Ol Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome!
  17. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    BUT I am Canadian so we are only worth 3/4 American sized.
    Tanshanomi and Yinzer Moto like this.
  18. Yinzer Moto

Oddometer:
    So the 279cc is really 210cc in freedumb units?
    PlowHand likes this.
  19. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    Hey, I want to sue Honda for my missing 21cc. Bunch of liars, Honda Forza 300 my ass.
    Yinzer Moto likes this.
  20. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had the Altrider but sold it. I was looking for a system that could use any bag. I found the Altrider holster to be tapered/angled at the bottom. Presumably this was to allow drainage, but the way I had to mount it on my bike (DRZ400S), it never drained all the way.

Yes, I could use any 20l dry bag, but then there was a gap between the bag and the holster. The only thing that fits the Altrider holster well is the Altrider dry bag (which was $200 when I bought it). It could have been great but because Altrider designed the holster in such a way to only use the Altrider dry bag efficiently, it did not meet my needs. Yes, it's high quality, and the holster may be worth it's cost, but $200 for a dry bag just because it has a special shape?

If you're planning to buy the whole Altrider system (holster and dry bag) it works well. I used it on the WABDR and liked it. The only reason I kept looking is because I typically didn't use the part of the bag that extended above the seat . If not, why have a $200 dry bag when 2x$30 premium 20l NRS bags would work. But how do I carry them, they don't fit in the holster very well... and on and on....

If you're planning to use the holster with dry bags, I've found the Green Chili rack + dry bags is better (and cheaper at about half the cost of the Hemisphere).

What would be the perfect system? Imagine the Altrider holster backing with a 'beavertail' instead of a holster/bucket. This way I could use any bag (backpack, drybag, duffel bag, or any other non proprietary bag). I talked to Wolfman at the 2017 Touratech rally about this and he didn't seem interested. Green Chili Adventure Gear is the closest I've found. It's design is not what I had in mind but i believe it is functionally equivalent after having used it on the NW Passage ADV Route.
    PlowHand likes this.