Minimalist Touring Thread (250cc and under)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by SIKLR250, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The medium Sea To Summit bags seem to fit like they were made for it. I have a dry bag type of bag, I never got along with it. I like the compression style bags. They force the stuff inside into a smaller shape. I can place one or both of the compression bags on top of the rack if I need to carry dinner/beers/firewood.
  2. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    I've tried a few different rackless systems and I just don't gel with them so I've gone back to a traditional rack/pannier type system.

I like having full use of my seat and being able to get a passenger on in a pinch. The racks make a good handle or spot to tie off to as well.

Didn't like the cost or functionality of market offerings so I made my own.

IMG_20190604_112208.jpg

IMG_20190826_182345_493.jpg
    Bors, greenboy 667, MYUMPH and 5 others like this.
  3. dancingweasel

dancingweasel Virtual Tourist

Oddometer:
    but we will need photographic proof, of course, though not too much of the graphic!
  4. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those look fantastic. If I had your skills, I would have made my own as well.

It looks like your panniers are pretty much just cloth buckets, so you can put pretty much whatever you want in there, dry bags, firewood, grocery bags, etc. I like it.

But the big companies generally don't do that because then they can't price gouge you on all the proprietary stuff that goes along with it... special buckles, odd bag designs, etc. Eventually the Moto community will catch up with this. I think Dirt Bike Gear and Dirt Bags probably started out the same as you.

Think about it. In the paddling/outdoors community the $30 NRS dry bag is top of the line. If you use that same material in bicycle panniers (i.e., Ortlieb backrollers) they're $70-$100 with mounting hardware. Use that same material in a moto bag and they can be up to $400! I don't get it.
  5. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    Raining & too cold.

I saw a fat man in a speedo riding a Harley one day. The blubber covered the speedo. I saw a naked man on a Harley. His wife was not there.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  6. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Thank you PNWet, I appreciate that!

I agree about the use of proprietary bag liners being frustrating which was part of my drive to make these. Another was that I wanted hardware that was easily replaceable.

I've made a couple of sets for friends and they love them which has prompted me to try and bring them to market. With multiple sets being used, I've got useability and durability data from nearly 40k miles of dual sport use with great results and feedback. The last year has also taught me a lot about manufacturing both in terms of cost and material types as well as the difficulty and added expenses of trying to bring a "Made in the USA" product to market.

Looking at bags like those from Mosko, I now completely understand why they are so expensive. Firstly they are over built which is a good thing for people looking for lifetime bags or around the world useability. Secondly the materials that they use are not only extremely heavy duty but also state of the art and expensive. Bags like the Reckless series are truly on another level and though I'd personally have a hard time springing for them , I can completely understand why they are priced the way they are.

My needs for dualsport aren't the same as someone looking to circumnavigate the globe. Most of my trips are under 30 days and my packed weight is between 20 and 30 lbs. My focus has been to keep the bags low priced enough for guys like me that don't have big budgets while also being practical enough for daily use since I don't really drive. The ability to use a standard drybag and have all hardware replaceable has also been a big factor in the design.

I appreciate your posts and feedback as you touched on several reasons why I made my own bags. It's good to hear that I'm not the only one thinking this way.

Cheers,

Dave
    AUstate, td63, PNWet and 5 others like this.
  7. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    :earOk, now we have a horse race! Any more info on holster size, bags typically used, price, availability?
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  8. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    They're made to take 25-30 liter standard drybags up to 10 inches in diameter. They work well with the 30 liter dry backpacks that you find on Amazon as well.

The pannier sleeves (holsters) are roughly 15 liters. I use them without dry bags for daily commute, errands and day rides.

Big enough to keep the animals happy
    IMG_20190521_081049_201.jpg

Price and availability are going to depend upon finding the right manufacturer. Hoping to come in around $150 +/- for the panniers minus dry bags.
    td63, MYUMPH, DCrider and 1 other person like this.
  9. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have you thought about a molle panel on the backsides so one could attach a small pouch for a fuel bottle, tool kit, etc?
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  10. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    I like seeing the affordable way of doing things. When I started riding, many, many years ago it was affordable and even less expensive than driving a car. Now to do what the others are doing the side bags alone cost more than what we would pay for a motorcycle. When people start researching riding and gear they find very expensive things which puts it out of reach for so many people wanting to start riding.

Last summer I hosted a campout with the goal of getting older perhaps unused bike back out there and people having fun. Basically demonstrating to get into riding you don't have to pay the big bucks to get into it. The goal was to bring a running bike that you have $750 or less into it. We had 9 bike that qualified and everyone had a blast. With it being fun the first year we are expanding what we are doing with it. It will be more days, we will have workshops, and a few rides. Our more experienced mechanics and riders will share their knowledge with those learning and even help them get a bike running.

This thread and especially the last few pages gives me more to offer the participants.

If you want to see the thread from last year: https://advrider.com/f/threads/2019-1st-annual-beater-bike-bonanza.1357140/ The last few pages we were talking about ideas for the next one. The pics start at the bottoom of page 14.

I would welcome any suggestion you all have and if it strays too far from the intent of this thread please send it to me in a PM. I haven't secured the date for next year so the 2020 thread hasn't started yet.

The 9th bike didn't start for the ride but after the ride the problem was found and it was running again. Here's the lineup and they did a 100 mile ride;
    [​IMG]
  11. Tanshanomi

Tanshanomi Your Favorite Uncle Supporter

Oddometer:
    That Harbor Freight powered KZ440 is just the best ever.
  12. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    ? More info or a build thread somewhere?
  13. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    Looks like there are some Molle-esque side loops in the photo in post 13502.
  14. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Yes! The current design has molle front and rear.
  15. Plebeian

Plebeian Scruffy-Looking Nerf Herder Supporter

Oddometer:
    A lower spec, lower cost option would work for a lot of riders. Especially a well thought out product... I hope you can get things rolling.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  16. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Thanks man! I've met so many riders and people who would like to be riders over the years that never get into moto travel because they believe that it's very expensive. I've lucked out in that I've been able to make much of my gear but I know that's not feasible for a lot of folks. Hopefully all this work results in a solid yet affordable option.
    Ladybug and MYUMPH like this.
  17. Tanshanomi

Tanshanomi Your Favorite Uncle Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bors, Stubanger, zap2504 and 2 others like this.
  18. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How about the racks that support them? Do they come with the bags, or are they separate? If separate, who makes them?
  19. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    From a ride yesterday. Local riding area is finally drying out.
    IMG_20190919_153230.jpg

The racks that are on my bike are another item that I fabbed but the panniers are designed to fit using most models of side racks (Dirt Racks, Tusk,Happy Trails,etc). The only racks I've had an issue fitting them on are the old Wolfman racks. Still doable on them but it took some fiddling.
  20. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    If it turns out that production is a bridge too far, you might consider getting your design together as a kit plan and either selling it to individuals or leasing the design to other firms. Or you could just publish it for the general public. There is a fairly new thread here that might work: https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-sewing-thread-show-us-your-home-made-gear.1406286/
    Ginger Beard likes this.