Minimalist Touring Thread (250cc and under)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by SIKLR250, Feb 2, 2007.

1. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    He's a LOT more bad-ass than me :lol3
  2. shoeb

shoeb Long timer

Oddometer:
    G310GS? CB500X perhaps? These would work if you planned on more road stuff.
  3. Lajning

Lajning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They lose a bit too much on the off-road side of things I reckon. The Himalayan is on the list as a wild card just because I know its capabilities. It's really rather slow for European roads, but it carries great utilitarian value.
  4. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I REALLY wish Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki or Kawasaki would come out with a Himalayan-type motorcycle - air-cooled, screw-type valve adjustment, easy, simple. Around 400cc to accommodate pretty much any situation, not sky-high seat height. Able to carry a passenger occasionally. Is that asking too much? Apparently it is. I guess they don't want to cater to the dinosaurs amongst us :lol2 Working pretty good for Royal Enfield, though.
    td63 and jimroid like this.
  5. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ginger Beard, tlrmark and Lajning like this.
  6. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've ridden my wr250r from the west coast of Denmark to Sweden and back for camping trips. Actually did it 2 times last year.
    I needed lower footpegs and a higher seat concepts seat, as im 2meters high. I installed a 12liter ims tank for better range. The bike has replaced my xt600, and is way better offroad, and equally good on the tarmac. I've done a few mods for mere power, and fiddled a bit with the suspension :)

I use soft luggage to keep the weight down, and try to take the smallest trails possible

Powerwise I think 0-100km/h times are pretty close between a wr250r and a xt660r, as the Wr is a lot lighter.
  7. derblauereiter

derblauereiter Mostly made of cheese Supporter

Oddometer:
    This has been my experience too, I’m primarily interested in on road/off-road weekend trips around Utah and the WR with two wheel sets has become my only bike. Prior contenders for this do-everything bike include XT500, KLR650, F650GS, and a TW200.

750B5EA9-D563-4FC9-8510-E05FD3D449CD.jpeg
  8. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    like that nc700 too
    derblauereiter likes this.
  9. Lajning

Lajning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow guys, lots of great input. Thanks a bunch! You have put me too ease regarding the wr250r. I think I will give the seller a call again. Light is right and all that :)
  10. Plebeian

Plebeian Scruffy-Looking Nerf Herder Supporter

Oddometer:
    A very good light adventure bike. Needs lower-than-stock gearing. You will need to get used to the high revving, low torque motor. The shock will need revalving if you are going to push things at speed on trails. Just a 250, so although it can cruise at 70mph, you don't have a lot of oomph left and hills and wind will be noticed.

I really like mine as a flexible, do it all bike... Stock except for a 14/50 regear, DOT knobbies, plastic skid plate and bark busters. Lots of electrical output and rackless bag systems work well with the pack mule subframe.
  11. jspringator

jspringator Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tewster2 has a WR build on here someplace. He took it on a Western trip to Utah ("Coffee and new friends, one 250 cc explosion at a time" on utube) and an Alaskan trip. I know Big Dog Adventures did a WR build at one time too. I think of the Versys X as a more road oriented and shorter seat height WR.
    Ginger Beard and derblauereiter like this.
  12. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    check out @GF-kam he's got a great set up WR for sale in the FM that he's ridden all over the west.
    Lajning and GF-kam like this.
  13. derblauereiter

derblauereiter Mostly made of cheese Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure this dude is looking for bikes in Sweden. :ear
  14. Lajning

Lajning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, thanks but as stated in the post above, wrong continent :)

I'd love to fly over and buy a bike to do some trips round the US, but that will have to wait a few years.
  15. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    Its called a DR650.
    It can be lowered and made lighter without a lot of expense.
    Its lighter then the Royal Enfield by 40? pounds to start with.

Nobade likes this.
  16. Lajning

Lajning Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The mighty Dr is unfortunately not available in many parts of the world. It's not fuel injected.

I'd buy a new fuel injected Dr in a heart beat if I could.
  17. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I logged about 20,000 miles on my DR, I never felt the need for fuel injection. I rode it from sea level to over 13,000ft without adjusting the carb. It was blubbery when it got over 10,000 ft but it still worked.
    randingo likes this.
  18. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    So far I've been on 4 multi week trips aboard my WR250r and it suits me well. It'll handle interstate blasts and slimy boulder strewn singletrack in the same day while hauling my camping gear. What's not to like if you're into adventure?

IMG_20191019_133207.jpg

IMG_20191018_181723.jpg

IMG_20191018_165725.jpg

IMG_20191014_120319.jpg
    ProLeisure, ACR, Snipified and 9 others like this.
  19. TDC_ERock

TDC_ERock Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    There's @swedstal ... man, that guy's been everywhere.
  20. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hear ya, Brett. I had an '01 and travelled quite a bit on it and loved it. Circumstances led me to sell it but I always missed it. So I bought a nice used '07 a couple of years back and the vibration was much heavier than I remembered from my '01, (in fact I though it was pretty smooth). Don't know if the '07 was just a bad example or if my tolerance for vibes changed but I didn't enjoy it and, after trying everything to quell the vibes, sold it.

The only thing missing from the DR that the Himalayan has is a decent passenger seat, but I'm sure something could be rigged up(?). I'm not totally against trying a DR650 again but I'd have to arrange a long test ride to see if it's more tolerable than the '07 I had.