Minimalist Touring Thread (250cc and under)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by SIKLR250, Feb 2, 2007.

1. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    So I have a question for the heavier 250cc owners. How long does it take you to burn through a stock clutch?

Charles.
  2. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Too many variables, bike, riding style, terrain, even the oil...

If you lever starts changing position, it is time for a clutch.
  3. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    No, no change in lever position or engagement zone. But, when in top gear doing 70, I can chop the throttle and then gun it and the clutch slips slightly. Revs increase slightly and then drop back down.

Not long after getting the bike, I rode it off road in some really gnarly stuff, and since it’s a high revving twin and not a thumper, I slipped the fook out of the clutch at a walking pace, paddle footing it. Actually had the motor start to overheat so had to shut it down and let it cool a bit. I was in way over the bike’s head, dirt road turned into squishy muck and barely there two track that my Jeep would have gotten stuck in. And i soldered on instead of turning around.

Since then I’ve put on another 5000 miles. But... all of my launches are pretty hard. I don’t baby this bike at all, and each launch is pretty close to WFO with the required clutch slipping. I don’t have the luxury of power, so i make up for it with my wrist. I’m also 250 lbs.

I’m also wearing rear tires out significantly before others are on ALL of my motorcycles. I don’t think I’ve ever seen 6000 miles on a rear tire on any bike I’ve ever owned. Unless you count an 80s Dunlop qualifier. (Horrid tire). My wrist just doesn’t play nicely. :)

I’m thinking that because it’s a 250, they put retardedly light springs in the clutch so that newbs can easily ride it. And a 250lb fatass with a twisty wrist is beyond the design parameters :)

7000 miles on a clutch doesn’t seem like much. But maybe with my riding style and weight that’s all I get.

In any case I have a Barnett Kevlar clutch and heavy duty springs on the way.

Charles.
  4. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    One event can roast a clutch.

Many years ago I wasted a clutch on one hill. We were in 8” of snow. Running studded tires. I got all screwed up and was having a lot of difficulty. When I got to the top, the clutch was smoking. It was done.
  5. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    I do recall the smell of clutch... so I guess I’m lucky it lasted another 5000 miles.

Charles.
  6. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    Don't know if it would really help with a slipped clutch (maybe a different set of sprockets for playing in the dirt?) but I thought I remembered mention of looking for an oil cooler...
  7. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    There’s an oil cooler on eBay right now, and several on Aliexpress. Doesn’t help much if you’re at a walking pace. Plus you have to delete the oil filter to use the oil cooler, which doesn’t seem like a good trade to me.

Charles.
  8. monnomania

monnomania Adventurer

Oddometer:
    PlowHand likes this.
  9. PlowHand

PlowHand Ancient, ugly and happy :-) Supporter

Oddometer:
    monnomania likes this.
  10. monnomania

monnomania Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks PlowHand. Indeed Japan is awesome. Recommended.
    PlowHand likes this.
  11. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    I roll out at 5 a.m. tomorrow morning for two week of dualsport riding! :super

IMG_20191010_110844_690.jpg

IMG_20191010_110844_686.jpg
    TaZ9, zoid, thewbee and 17 others like this.
  12. washout800

washout800 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Safe travels, and take lots of pics to share.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  13. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
  14. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    You bastard. I have to work.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  15. TaZ9

TaZ9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did two weeks of travelling the Southwest.
    Got in some great riding at the 3 Step Hideaway Alpine Rendezvous. The WR250R is perfect on the mixed terrain, handling ruts, rocks and lots of deep sand.

Ride safe,

TaZ9 DSCN6474.jpg DSCN6445 (3).jpg DSCN6469.JPG DSCN6452 (2).JPG
    td63, zoid, Pete S and 5 others like this.
  16. MandrillPie

MandrillPie CRF250L

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Me an my wife are going down to Colombia over the winter, from middle of November to middle or March, for a total of 4 months. We've been there before, on foot and by rented car, up in the mountains of Cocuy, North to Santa Marta, Bogota, Medellin and some places in between. We loved the sights, loved the people. This time, we were thinking of exploring Colombia by motorcycle.

We normally ride a CRF250L and a Grom, but we wouldn't be taking them with us. We were actually thinking of buying bikes there, using them for the 4 months, then selling them. We did this in Malaysia, with a new Honda Wave Alpha 110cc scooter and it made perfect financial sense (we were there for more than a year and sold the thing right before we left).

So, I'm here asking for advice. I see the market for motorcycles is quite varied in Colombia and I like the prices I'm seeing. We would be looking for 2 bikes, probably same ccs as we have now, 250 and 125, used or even new, to ride for 4 months, somewhere between 5.000 and 10.000 km (3100-6200 mi) and then sell them and fly back home.

As I'm starting to do my research, does anyone here have recommendations or can point me to resources where I could find out more about:
    • The process of buying and riding a motorcycle in Colombia for a foreigner, insurance, etc
    • Routes along Colombia, places to see and places to avoid
    • Things I may not have thought of regarding motorcycle riding in Colombia?

We just thought of this and are really excited about the idea. Thanks a lot!
  17. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    Kevlar riding jacket???
    PlowHand likes this.
  18. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:

I don't know if this is available in Columbia but I think it's built in Brazil, so there's a good chance it is. I think it's cool and would probably buy one if they were available in N. Amercia.

[​IMG]
    RolyKBiker and Singlespeed92 like this.
  19. Aguaski

Aguaski Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The folks on the Horizons Unlimited forum may be able to help with your questions.
  20. Dualsport Chic

Dualsport Chic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I second the XTZ if you can find one - pure Yamaha reliability with a touring package (larger tank/windscreen).