Minimalist Touring Thread (250cc and under)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by SIKLR250, Feb 2, 2007.

1. IT Hunter

IT Hunter Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Look for Eglé Gerulaityte she was riding there few data ago, or, however she knows very well all the colombian possibilità about buying/dell'ing motorcycles and or renting them

In the home page you will find several posts from her.
  2. MandrillPie

MandrillPie CRF250L

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the recommendations, everyone!

Ok, now I'm down the rabbit hole. Reading her stuff and enjoying it. Thanks!
  3. MikeS

MikeS Fur shur! Vamos! Supporter

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    I've been around Peru on a local moto I own, a Honda Tornado, so my observations are from Peru, but probably apply to Colombia: The Zongshen is available in SA. This moto has a following here in the US. I'm not a China moto fan.

Honda assembles motos in Brazil, and currently the XRE 300 is a popular moto, likely available in Colombia. Honda also has the XR 190 that is well worth considering for both of you. It's a nice, low stance moto with 21 inch front wheel. I think your wife (and you) will like it. Both Hondas are FI, so altitude is not an issue. If you can find a used Honda Tornado (no longer manufactured new), also a very good moto for SA, but carburetor. A locally sold moto means the mechanics are familiar with them and have parts available. You'll do fine with this size moto in Colombia, although I think 125 cc will be struggling on mountain climbs.

For the how to buy; as said, look at Horizons Unlimited. Also contact vendors like Motolombia and others. They may offer a buy back program. Your strategy is a good one. Disfrutar e buen viaje!
  4. MandrillPie

MandrillPie CRF250L

Oddometer:
    Hey, thanks for the info. I can drive any motorcycle size (but would prefer to stick to something smaller). Unfortunatelly, the 125cc is a limitation because my wife has a driver's license that only goes up to 125. Together with her height, and also with the fact that we kind of like to go a bit offroad, it's not a perfect combo. But we did make it work before.
  5. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    THIS ARTICLE should be a good start. If you need more info then I'm sure RTWPaul can point you in the right direction if you PM him. There are others that have done the same and have rider reports here. Search Epic Rides and the regional forums.
  6. Tanshanomi

Tanshanomi Your Favorite Uncle Supporter

Oddometer:
    Honda 125 Varadero?

[​IMG]
    Bors likes this.
  7. MandrillPie

MandrillPie CRF250L

Oddometer:
    Yup, found that article and it's got pretty much most of the info I need. Gave me the confidence boost I needed that this is easily doable. I think we may buy new, from a dealer, they will most likely take care of most of the paperwork, and I'm sure they'd be interested in buying them back from us in 4mo. Even if we get half the money back, it should still be a pretty good deal compared to renting or shipping.
    Jedi2Rider likes this.
  8. TDC_ERock

TDC_ERock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe throw your questions up to this Colombia thread as well.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/adv-riders-in-colombia.740933/
    dp064 likes this.
  9. MandrillPie

MandrillPie CRF250L

Oddometer:
    TDC_ERock likes this.
  10. TDC_ERock

TDC_ERock Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I visited Colombia with the family two years ago (random, found a cheap flight from here) and now dreaming of going back to ride there! Really enjoyed our short time there (Cartagena and Minca).
  11. MikeS

MikeS Fur shur! Vamos! Supporter

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    If you get off the Pan American Highway, South America riding is stunning, and the people I've met are awesome.

[​IMG]
    manx16, MYUMPH, Pete-NZ and 7 others like this.
  12. javaman

javaman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My crude but sturdy minimalist setup. 5L jerry can (+ 11L fuel tank) gives me more than enough range, and the ammo box can fit 1-2 days clothing + basic tools.

[​IMG]

Pushing it, I can tie a small tent/swag and sleeping bag as well but that quickly defeats the purpose of ultra-light bike for rough terrains and better served by my fully fledged mule the mighty KLR650 lol

[​IMG]
    RolyKBiker, MYUMPH, manx16 and 14 others like this.
  13. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    700km on a 125 scooter..
    I am back to Thailand next March for 3 weeks and I intend to ride along the
    Thai side of the Mekong river...Laos on the opposite bank... I usually cross the river into Loas and Cambodia... Thailand only lets you have 2 entry's in any 12 month period and this will be my second so I can not leave Thailand this time or I may not be able to re-enter to get back to Bangkok for my return flight home..
    My little Yamaha Mio GT125 has clocked up 16,000kms all over Thailand , loas , Cambodia and Vietnam.. I spend almost half the year living in Khon Kaen, north east Thailand…

The trip will be a short one this time only 4 days... 200/250km a day that will give my plenty of
    time for detours and look around the towns/villages I stop for the night.. as I want to be back in Khon Kaen for the Songkran when for 3 days the whole of Thailand goes mad... can describe the Songkran 2 ways.... biggest water fight in the world or the biggest wet tee shirt contest in the world...
    One thing's guaranteed... you are going to get wet... very wet but who cares with temps up to 40c...

The little beast...….
    yamaha 125 1.jpg
    trip.jpg trip2.jpg
    LasseA, td63, Ginger Beard and 10 others like this.
  14. MandrillPie

MandrillPie CRF250L

Oddometer:
    Ok, this brings back memories of scooters (are they scooters if they have a gear shifter, but no clutch?) in Malaysia for 2 years.

malaysia-scooter-125.jpg

And my trusty Honda Wave Alpha 110cc, Langkawi, Malaysia

malaysia-honda-wave.jpg

And also memories of offroad scooters in Indonesia's Tana Toraja (that's me pushing a scooter in the mud with the inner tube completely cut in half...)

indonesia-tana-toraja-scooter.jpg

And let's not forget (I can't forget, because I'm actively doing this right now), exploring Colombia on a 125cc Yamaha Libero (YBR) and a 150cc Yamaha XTZ :)

colombia-125-and-150.jpg

Btw, the Colombia trip is the most minimalist setup we've ever tried in terms of luggage. We've each got a 20L (5.3 gallons?) waterproof bag strapped to the back of the seats and also a small 3kg (6.6lb) backpacks with laptops and electronics.
    TDC_ERock, klaviator, gmax and 11 others like this.
  15. MandrillPie

MandrillPie CRF250L

Oddometer:
    colombia-luggage-setup.jpg
    klaviator, td63, minkyhead and 9 others like this.
  16. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short guy

Oddometer:
    I would like to ride a CB125 back to Prince Edward Island again but I was a lot lighter 38 year ago when I did the ride.

I did ride my 279cc Honda Forza to the Yukon this year. So a 100,000 km scooter is the same as a new 250cc so that I belong in this thread.

I was basically minimalist, tent, sleeping bag, pad & clothes but I had 3 pair of underwear!
    td63, Pete-NZ, Cyclepath and 2 others like this.
  17. zenking12

zenking12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So I have a 2019 Honda monkey 125. I want to take it on a eight day trip from Morgan Hill California to Arizona and back. This will happen probably in April or May and I will log the trip as I go. What do you guys think?

Attached Files:

18. zenking12

zenking12 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anybody want to go with me?
  19. bymbie

bymbie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think that is an awesome idea!!!
    klaviator likes this.
  20. powderpig

powderpig Been here awhile Supporter