Minimalist Touring Thread (250cc and under)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by SIKLR250, Feb 2, 2007.

1. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had a DR at one time. Unfortunately, the two previous owners had abused it beyond my capabilities and my short legs didn’t like climbing up on it. I’ve just purchased a Himalayan. The DR is more capable, but the Hima fits me better.
  2. Nobade

Nobade Keep on keepin' on...

Oddometer:
    Most likely the crank wasn't perfectly straight. They don't all come from the factory just right. Build one like it's supposed to be and they're really smooth.
  3. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pics???
  4. MikeS

MikeS Fur shur! Vamos! Supporter

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    No criticism to GB, but it's too tall and it ends up tipped over way more than a lower seat height moto. If not for the seat height, I'd own one.

[​IMG]
  5. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

:lol3 No offense taken!

That's no tip over. That's me coming in hot on a downhill switchback over a hidden off camber root. It's been weeks and my neck still isn't right.

One of my closest friends and riding buddy is 5'7". No issues ridding an unlowered WR250r once he learned the right technique. Of course it helps that they're easy to pick up. :D

IMG_20191210_132702.jpg
    Some Beach and PlowHand like this.
  6. NJ-Brett

NJ-Brett Brett

Oddometer:
    My DR650 was used when I got it, $1500.00 with 5000 miles and suspension upgrades.
    It was very smooth, it has rubber mounted pegs and bars which help.
    I put a pumper carb on mine and it was fantastic, gobs of power and torque even off idle, great throttle response, throttle wheeliees in the first 3 gears!

Tall and heavy for a hard core dirt bike, not the best for old guys with brittle bones!
    I should have lowered mine. Even though I am 6 feet tall, a lower bike works much better in the sand then a tall one does.

I have been up and down the tall/big bike to small light bike a few times and in sand and swamp I want low and light.
    That is why I now have a TW200.
    Rocks and jumps and so on calls for a taller bike I suppose, but even a wr250 can be NO fun in thick sandy whoops unless you want to
    risk a really bad fall at higher speeds.
    A lowered wr250 would rock around here.
    So would a lowered DR650.

A TW350 with a 6 speed trans would REALLY be something!
    MYUMPH, Nobade and derblauereiter like this.
  7. pjensen641

pjensen641 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why not just buy the Himalayan? Don't trust RE reliability? You know such a bike would be $2k more or better. If it came with slightly better suspension and brakes, maybe it would be worth it.
  8. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    8gv

Here ya go,

Thinking about riding the MABDR in June. Wanna Go?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Bors, bullship, MATTY and 6 others like this.
  9. buckthedog

buckthedog Eastbound and down

Oddometer:
    Just to point out the obvious....with the influx of smaller cc bikes lately, the RX3, the Versys 300, Himalayan, perhaps the new KTM 390, the "250cc and under" part of this thread may go the way of the Dodo bird...obsolete. We've been inclusive of DR's, KLR's, Himalayans...etc.

I'm sure the puritan camp here will revolt, wring their hands, tear sackcloth and gnash their teeth. Have at it, oh holier-than-thou bro's.

I am throwing in my 2 bits (keep the 0.23 cents). I think it should include these new bikes, as they have developed quite the following, as minimalism can be a mindset, and a camp-set if you will...not just a cc size. For example; It makes no sense to include and discuss a TAT (or ANY long trip) setup xt225 with 150 lbs of crap and not include a Himalayan with 400ish cc's and 30 lbs of gear.

Just trying to bring my peeps together in this season... Jan 1, y'all can go back to hating...

Happy Hanukkah and Merry Christmas to all!
    Adanac rider, dp064 and rockt like this.
  10. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:

Just a little leery of the reliability, yes. As I mentioned, the guys on the Himalayan owner's thread seem to be having pretty good luck, with some putting on substantial mileage already. And looking at DrDubb's bike makes me want to just go buy one. But my nearest dealer isn't that close and isn't that good. I'm picturing going a long way there with an issue and having him say, "Ahhh, they all do that". I'll probably end up with one eventually but if Honda, Suzuki, etc. made something similar, I'd pay more to get it.
  11. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I want to just say "IN!" but must say "Maybe" due to familial obligations. I'll ping you in April.
  12. assquatch20

assquatch20 Hosscat

Oddometer:
    This kinda put me off the Himalayan:

[​IMG]

I dunno if it happened to just one but I've seen multiple pictures of it.
  13. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would not worry about it unless more cases of that start happening. All motorcycles break.

2F51750D-0549-4B32-92AE-08ECC2DB1220.jpeg

44896D84-30AF-4574-B47A-494B1A9A358C.jpeg

07781887-3E38-4BD2-A79B-94CD932EBE3E.jpeg
    Bors, Ginger Beard and tlrmark like this.
  14. assquatch20

assquatch20 Hosscat

Oddometer:
    You got me curious so I found some more pics and some reports of QC issues. Cracks and breaks, rusting, some kinda cylinder head issue with a bulletin... Granted these people may have just rode through hell but that bike is split in two on tarmac. It's not a heavy 1200 in a field of rocks nor is it a MX or hardcore enduro bike. It's also not 250cc or less.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. drdubb

drdubb OFWG Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve followed Hima threads for about a year. Lots of heated discussions about the cracking frames. I haven’t noted anyone that had this happen to them. RE did stop production after the first year to correct some things . Not sure if the frame was one of the issues. It’s not a Japanese bike, But the warranty is two years.
    tlrmark likes this.
  16. assquatch20

assquatch20 Hosscat

Oddometer:
    I love the idea of the bike and the niche it fills, plus the styling is kinda cool. I'd imagine those issues aren't very severe in most cases. After a few more years of proving themselves they may turn out to be as good as anything else out there. Time will tell I guess. I'd like to mate it with my TW200 and see what comes out.

I'd imagine it would look kinda like the Ryoku concept, but maybe in a more sedate color.

[​IMG]
  17. buckthedog

Oddometer:
    I imagine those bikes in India go through a 1000x the hell that 99% of GS's go through. Just because that pic was on blacktop, means nothing. Look at the background. Also, it was prior to it's worldwide release. If they made the frame heavier, then everyone would complain about that. Everything mechanical breaks, can break, will break, may break.
  18. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

I say this with all due respect but a TW doesn't have the suspension travel to handle whoops at speed. You'd be far more at risk of a serious crash trying to run sandy whoops aboard a low bike with short/underdamped suspension than you will be on a tall bike with proper offroad clearance and travel. There is a reason that long travel bikes with a tall seat height exist and it is for the exact type of riding that you've described.

The TW shines in it's own right as just being a simple and fun machine that,with the oversized tires, is an absolute riot in sand and snow. There was a couple that toured the coast of Alaska on fat tire MTBs, riding the beach most of the way. I imagine taking a TW on a trip like that would be a blast!
  19. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

No hate whatsoever but why not start that thread and leave this one to the 250 and under bikes?

The Himalayan is a nice ADV bike but it doesn't fit into the small cc light weight idea behind this thread. Seems to be a great world travel bike though from what I've seen.
  20. buckthedog

Oddometer:
    True... maybe a "midweight" minimalist touring thread...
    Adanac rider and Ginger Beard like this.