Minimalist Touring Thread (250cc and under)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by SIKLR250, Feb 2, 2007.

1. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. CrapKerouac

CrapKerouac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fly to south-east Asia, buy a bike, spend the night in $10/night hostels and eat in the streets. What a scream.
    enduro16, Mickalmus and Stubanger like this.
  3. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    enduro16 likes this.
  4. heliyardsale

heliyardsale Always looking for Dirt!

Oddometer:
    IMG_2412.jpg
    Really fun little bikes!
    jon_l, mashrider, smilin jack and 6 others like this.
  5. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not really "eligible" to play in this thread... Yet, at least. I was planning to do the SM500 earlier this year on my XT225... Had it all set up, luggage installed, etc. then the week before our scheduled departure, while doing some last minute prep, I discovered a mechanical issue that made me sideline that bike and take my Himalayan instead. But, now I have a set of HT pannier racks for the Tdub, so I'll have two candidates for some shorter "minimalist touring" at some point...

But the main reason I'm posting here now is that this past weekend at Barber Vintage Motorcycle Festival, I made a last minute impulse purchase... Got back late Sunday and was EXHAUSTED from three FULL days of Barber, so haven't had a chance to get decent photos yet, but here it is anyway...

IMG_3028.JPG IMG_3029.JPG

1974 CT90K5. Actually looks better in person than the photo above. Everything original and all there. Even the rear passenger pegs were included and were in a plastic bag in the little cooler in the basket. Not sure what the hell I'll do with it other than as a runabout for Barber (I go every year), but I guess I kinda got caught up in the fun, got started looking at all the small older bikes of this type, got sorta hooked on a CT70/CT90 frenzy, then ran across this one Sunday afternoon as the seller was packing up shop... So, like I said, an impulse purchase. I'm typically a serious researcher on all my bike purchases, but what the hell, right?

Been trying to find more info on these bikes. I've found the Honda Trail CT90 & CT110 Forum, but it appears to be shut down now. And I've run across a few random threads mentioning the bikes here on adv, but no comprehensive Owners thread sort of thing, which seems sort of odd to me really... So, can anyone point me toward an active CT thread or forum?

The bike has the original Yokohama tires, and while they're in remarkably good shape for 47 year old tires... nope... Gotta find some suitable replacements... Been looking around trying to see what folks are using... I know about the 241 and 244s, but curious what else may be available in the appropriate sizes in perhaps a bit more off-road oriented tires...

Planning to start going through the bike this coming weekend, check everything over, do a little PM, and then once done, and I get some new tires installed, I'll see what I end up doing with it. Who knows I may throw some bags on it and take a little trip...

:ricky
  6. sidetrack one

Oddometer:
    CT110s or posties as they are known here in Australia, are very popular, my wife and I both have one,mine does a lot of farm duties!:D
    Never toured on it but plenty have!
    20200719_135127.jpg 20210502_113934.jpg
    frog13, 150ron, Ginger Beard and 11 others like this.
  7. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:

I LOVE those things. So cool in its utilitarian-ness. Yours has it all - aux. tank, rack... ridiculously low miles. You MUST do a trip of some sort on it. Keep us posted.
    Randy and Klay like this.
  8. powderpig

powderpig Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congrats...what a beauty! I see it's also the ultra-rare AIL90 model. :D
    Randy likes this.
  9. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    https://ct90-ct110.com/Home.html
    https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hondatrailcts/
    Parts:
    http://dratv.com/
    Randy likes this.
  10. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! And yep, I saw quite a few at Barber last weekend, but this one was the nicest I ran across. Wasn't looking to buy anything while there, but you know how that goes sometimes... Just happened upon it Sunday afternoon after stopping to look at a few more that kinda got me thinkin'... Started looking it over and decided I liked it. It's not perfect of course, but for a stock 47 year old bike, it sure looked nice sittin' out there in the sunlight. And yeah, while it has some other wear and tear areas on it, nothing else other than that airbox decal bugs me. Have a new one inbound. :thumb
    billfires likes this.
  11. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, I found those. Unfortunately, ct90-ct110 forum is no longer operational. Luckily the site is still up, so I'm able to read what's there, but all of the threads are locked so it's not possible to join in on the discussions, or ask questions, etc. Pity, as it seems like a valuable resource of info on the bikes. And I would guess that since it's no longer operating it's just a matter of time before the server payments cease and it goes down for good. :(

And I've been browsing dratv pretty heavily too. :thumb
  12. sidetrack one

Oddometer:
    Massive CT110 thread in the Aussie forum,we wont bite!!:D
    Randy likes this.
  13. Aguaski

Aguaski Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Randy we have similar tastes. I’ve bumped into you often on the XT225 forum. I also have a CT110 in the garage. The CT is mostly a neighborhood errand runner for me.

I am not a social media junkie, and very much prefer online forums, but a lot of these types of discussions are moving to Facebook. I despise thinking of Facebook as a resource, but in reality I find myself using it way more than I ever imagined. There is a very helpful CT90-110 group on Facebook. I know you are also a TW200, XT225, and RE Himalayan guy. There are very informative Facebook groups for those bikes too.
    IMG_0039.jpg
    smilin jack likes this.
  14. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, and I DESPISE Facebook for a multitude of reasons, one being the way it's seemingly impossible for me to keep track of where posts end up over time, and the lack of organization, and... I could go on and on about other negatives of social media platforms as well, but, I don't want this thread going to jo momma... :lol3

Been an adv'er for almost 20 years, and still find it the most useful moto related resource on the planet for the types of things it covers. Although, I do realize that my interests do sometimes sway from the typical adv focus.

But yeah, I may have to check into the CT90 group. But, honestly, I kinda doubt I will since I just don't like the way those FB group things work. Maybe in a pinch, if I need help with something I can't figure out or find elsewhere. We'll see. But I appreciate the suggestion nonetheless. :thumb
    Achtung, Ladybug and PlowHand like this.
  15. sidetrack one

Oddometer:
    Have a look in here!
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/oz-kiwi-honda-postie-ct110-adv-riders-sign-in-here-please.454919/
    Randy likes this.
  16. Mike Dirt

Mike Dirt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Slept here one night year’s ago. 6F6BCB78-CD19-43A0-8FA9-7A88D59D616F.jpeg
  17. RolyKBiker

RolyKBiker Road Worrier

Oddometer:
    With colour matched cooler !
  18. Jolly Roger 250

Jolly Roger 250 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Go join this FB group. Amazing bunch of people that can answer ANY CT90 question you throw at them. I used it a LOT while I was doing my restore resto mod on mine.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/813736871991031
    1970 CT90.jpg
    jon_l, Ladybug, Yeti2ride and 2 others like this.
  19. RolyKBiker

RolyKBiker Road Worrier

Oddometer:
    Well, it's certainly blue ! :-)
    Is that an auxiliary tank at the back ? Very neat. :clap
  20. Tanshanomi

Tanshanomi Your Favorite Uncle Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was a standard OE part on some of the later years. They're handy enough that people buy them for other bikes. As a result, they go for serious money in good condition.
    RolyKBiker likes this.