Minimalist Touring Thread (250cc and under)

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by SIKLR250, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep. I believe 1972 was the first year to have the aux. tank. The tank bracket also includes a helmet lock as part of the release mechanism that holds the tank in place. Mine has one as well (1974 K5). Was a little afraid to look inside, but it actually looks new inside and out. :-)
    Ladybug likes this.
  2. GodWhomIsMike

GodWhomIsMike The Neon Rider Rocking The 250

Oddometer:
    I had hoped to ride 2K-3K miles this season on my 2009 Honda Rebel 250 (and get a new bike), but the clutch failed in early July and wasn't replaced/fixed till late September. I still got in about 1100 miles this season. Oh well. $664 and I am back on the road. Valves adjusted, carb cleaned, clutch replaced, oil changed, air filter changed, spark plugs replaced, etc... In the Spring (2022), I will do the tires. I had hoped in the beginning of the season to get a 2021 Rebel 500 SE, but between me breaking off an engagement, a (home) contractor that screwed me and banged me over the head with a huge repair cost for a leak (did one craptastic job, which I could have done), and the Rebel 250 that needed nearly $700 of work/parts (and probably another $200-$300 for tires come spring), that never happened. The 2022 Honda Shadow Aero was announced recently, and that looks like it is the same blue as my Rebel 250 (I love the way it looks). Maybe 2022 will be better than this year was to me - and if it is, I think I would go with the '22 Shadow Aero.

IMG_5276.jpg IMG_5543.jpg IMG_5951.jpg IMG_5958.jpg IMG_5972.jpg IMG_7525.jpg IMG_7535.jpg IMG_6108.jpg

Attached Files:

dp064, mashrider and rockt like this.
  3. mashrider

mashrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice bike, I have been looking for a rebel 250
  4. GodWhomIsMike

Oddometer:
    Thank you. It's been a good bike over the past 6-7 riding seasons. I suspect clutch failure was my fault. I had changed from Honda's GN4 (conventional) oil to Mobil 1 4T Racing (motorcycle) oil. At 950 miles (between end of March and early July), 3rd gear was suddenly gone (almost no power to wheel in that gear), and 4th and 5th were also slipping bad. The whole clutch was burned up, and the oil was tar black. My guess was the detergents cleaned out all of the grease/lubrication from the whole clutch and the oil had broken down from heat by then. After the clutch was done, I switched back to conventional oil. It was an expensive lesson.

I was just about to run out to get a lb of coffee from town, and in the time I got dressed, it rained hard for 15 minutes, and the road is soaked and covered in wet leaves. Seems like that is the end of being able to ride today. Tomorrow is another day I guess.
    mashrider likes this.
  5. EdM

EdM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's hoping better days are coming, you get that Aero, and get many trouble free miles from it.
    GodWhomIsMike likes this.
  6. mashrider

Oddometer:
  7. mashrider

Oddometer:
    I have been looking at the Tmax lately, with gas going up and no end in sight, my truck gets horrible gas mileage.
  8. davenowherejones

davenowherejones short old guy

Oddometer:
    My truck gets great gas usage, It has been sitting in my driveway for months.

My Fora 280 has been a real money pit on gas, 170,000 km of basically going nowhere.
    mashrider likes this.
  9. GodWhomIsMike

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Here's to hoping.
  10. mashrider

Oddometer:
    What’s a Fora 280???
  11. Klay

Klay dreaming adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    My question as well. One of these?

[​IMG]
    sherloc and dp064 like this.
  12. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    A worn out 2014 Honda Forza 300a
    mashrider likes this.
  13. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finally had a chance to wheel the CT90 out in the drive and take some better photos... Still haven't had a chance to detail it or start going through it yet, but here she is as she sits...

IMG_3076.JPG IMG_3077.JPG
    IMG_3080.JPG IMG_3079.JPG
  14. Cyclepath

Cyclepath Lost wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hi Randy, nice looking bike. I have a 1970 ct90, yellow, not quite as nice looking as yours. In it's early years it had to the aux. gas can and the canteen mount on the other side but the guy I got it from didn't know where they were. but the brackets were there? I didn't think the ct90 had those until something like 72 or the K-4 years ??
    Here is a site you guys might be interested in.... https://ct90-ct110.com/Home.html it's an old site and has not been updated for awhile but it has some interesting info.
    slane6 and Randy like this.
  15. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, thanks! This one was/is in pretty good condition actually. Probably better in person that in the photos. I wasn't really in the market for one. Just kinda got wrapped up in the moment after three days of all the classic small bikes, and kinda got a last minute "itch"... Then, I just stumbled onto this one and it got my attention... Total impulse purchase, which is TOTALLY out of character for me... But, oh well... :dunno

Not sure when the canteen thing first appeared. Although I would guess that that info is available on ct90-ct100.com. That is a great site. Shame it's no longer functional. :(

This one is a '74 K5 and appears to have all of the original parts intact.
    Cyclepath likes this.
  16. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:
    I was just shopping for a dual-sport rear tire and realized that prices have doubled since 2018. I wanted to replace a Shinko 244 and after looking on a few websites decided to give eBay a try. I found an IRC GP-1 for about half the price, which totaled $43.91 with tax. I ran the GP-1 on a Yamaha XT225 a few years ago and was impressed with how long it lasted. The size is 4.10 / 18 if that works for you.

They might be old stock or something but I figured I'd give one a try.
    Adanac rider likes this.
  17. davenowherejones

Oddometer:
    I am going to need a rear tire for my 2014 Honda Forza 300 next year.

The way things are going I should order it right now.

It might be a better investment than what my bank is giving.
  18. Dirty bike

Dirty bike EricV

Oddometer:
    Next year is nearly here, so probably a good idea. As to supply chain issues, it's anyone's guess when it will smooth back out, but it likely will. I bought 4 sets back in July, (two different flavors that I liked), because they were available, but getting harder to find in stock or taking longer to get when ordered via the dealer. Two of the sets below are lightly used take offs from prior to the SCBR, the other is a new set. I've got tires for the next 8-12k miles for the scooters when ever the current sets wear out.
    DC7F50F0-5B8B-41CE-8740-BB5D4E5F0AED.jpeg
    jon_l and 250senuf like this.
  19. derekdeadend

derekdeadend Long timer

Oddometer:
    the best nights sleep I ever had camping I swear
    Mike Dirt likes this.
  20. GlennR

GlennR Chasin' my tail

Oddometer:

The date code looks current, but I have to admit that I don't know exactly how to decipher it.
    upload_2021-11-9_18-41-15.jpeg