1. ADVRIDER Print Magazine!
    We're doing two more print magazines year. July & November. 144 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase both for $35.
    Dismiss Notice

Mining Idaho's Gems

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by MapMaster, Jun 10, 2021 at 8:30 PM.

1. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    The genesis of this romp that should start Monday, arose from a couple of friends' Covid curtailed Canadian campaign to ride to Banff and Jasper last year on a pair of rental BMW GS's out of Seattle. New Yorkers Dan and Mitch rescheduled for a trip this year out of Denver starting on July 2, to tour north of there for two weeks. My offer to provide some routing suggestions was readily accepted and I spent a several cold March evenings pleasantly perusing past personal plots and Butler maps of Colorado and the states north(ish) of it.
    I just identified the really tasty roads in those states and suggested how to stitch several especially sinuously swervy segments together, they will layout their own daily routes.
    All of that map study got my sap rising and I was particularly enchanted by the jewels in Idaho and northwest Montana, so that crystalized my focus for a western rodeo as well. Possibly I'll be able to rendezvous with Dan and Mitch for a day or two.

This will be a road ride and I will try to meet several inmates via the tent-space list along the way.

The absolutely essential equipment:
    upload_2021-6-10_23-27-59.jpeg

upload_2021-6-10_23-27-37.jpeg

All else is superfluous. :lol2
    Ozarks Rider likes this.
  2. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    Well dayum, I finally decide to attempt another in-progress ride report and I see that @misterk has already started a current Idaho themed one. So much for being unique. :lol2

However, I'm going to launch before him, so there! :ksteve :D

I've created many trip reports over the years, but they have all been after the fact.
    That works better for me from the story telling standpoint, but the near real time interaction with this community is something I have found pretty cool in other tales, so I'm going try to do regular updates on this journey and see what other gems might turn up.
    I made an attempt at this in 2015 on an AK trip, however that coincided with both the death of my netbook, and ADV's platform change. The latter was too confusing for me to figure out with just my cell phone for interactions at the time, so it fizzled from the start (the ride report that is, the trip was fantastic and I still got a trip report posted up after the adventure).
    Ozarks Rider likes this.
  3. Comrade Arturo

Comrade Arturo Veterinario

Oddometer:
    Good luck and keep us posted :thumb
    MapMaster likes this.
  4. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Subscribed!
    MapMaster likes this.
  5. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    Launching tomorrow morning with Huntington, WV in the sights.
    (Readers of some of my past trips will know of my habitual aversion to starting such proceedings in the obvious direction. :lol3)
    I'm going to visit a friend and former coworker for the night.
    Tuesday's objective is in the vicinity of Mammoth Cave NP where I have a Wednesday morning tour reservation.
    MO and AR Ozarks on the horizon after that.
    I am STOKED!

After I clear the Ozarks* by Friday, I'll let the weather dictate whether the route is more due west, or aimed northwest through Kansas/Nebraska.

* 'Clearing' the Ozarks makes it sound like they are something to be gotten through as quickly as possible. That is not the case. I'm going to be YEE HAWing in my helmet while keeping the horizon anything but horizontal as much as possible (which is very easy to do in the Ozarks). :deal
    Ladybug likes this.
  6. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    Loaded for bear!
    I weighed all of the non-essential superfluous stuff, 46 pounds. :D
    Total for bags and all is 60 pounds. :clap
    (My motto is "Weight BAD!")

upload_2021-6-13_22-5-42.jpeg
  7. Ozarks Rider

Ozarks Rider I'd never join club that would have me as a member

Oddometer:
    Following
    MapMaster and dano619 like this.
  8. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    I got misdirected* within a few hours of an early morning start less than 90 miles from home and was quite pleased with the result. New WV/PA hollers on a sunny morning were the first, unexpected gems of the trip.

upload_2021-6-15_6-43-27.jpeg

Other well known road jewels were appreciated during the day as I worked my south through the Ohio River valley. (WV 88, WV Wetzel county 89, OH 255, 800, 260 & 26 were those highlights)
    And the finish into Ona, WV on county 1 was a newly discovered diamond.

upload_2021-6-15_6-49-5.jpeg

A hot afternoon and 375 miles left me tired, but pleased with the day's effort.

Stitch was the official door keeper:
    upload_2021-6-15_6-47-1.jpeg
    Lori said that he barks at everything in the street, but he didn't bark at me when I pulled in.
    (It's cause he knows anyone on a motorcycle must be okay. :evil)

Had an excellent dinner and good conversation catching up with friends Dan and Lori.

* I'm never lost on a motorcycle (I always know how I got to wherever I end up at :deal), but I do occasionally end up in places that I wasn't expecting.
    :cromag
    Edk800f1, Shaggie and Ladybug like this.
  9. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Unexpected traveling suggestions are dancing lessons from the gods"
    MapMaster and Ladybug like this.
  10. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    Catch up time.
    I already know that I'll have to do a proper post trip ride report, because I don't have time while on the road to develop stories for the many daily events that make up the totality of a proper trip tale. But I'll at least capture the highlights as I go along.

Day 2 was a beautiful one, Huntington to Horse Cave with lots of horizon tilting.
    The Red River Gorge was impressive, but mainly green. A trip back before the trees leaf out is in order.
    The Nada Tunnel was pretty cool:
    upload_2021-6-16_22-36-58.jpeg

upload_2021-6-16_22-37-22.jpeg

I spent the night at @TRAVR6's place and he forced me to savor one of these.
    upload_2021-6-16_22-41-36.jpeg

I indulged only because he insisted and I try to be an accommodating guest. :lol3
    Soil Sample likes this.
  11. MapMaster

MapMaster Human Compass

Oddometer:
    Day 3 was a cavernous experience.

I don't always walk 2 miles underground, covering 540 stair steps, and then ride 300+ miles in high 80's temperatures; but when I do, I'm willing to settle for the last 2 hot dogs on a mini-mart roller grill for dinner. :deal

upload_2021-6-16_22-57-37.jpeg

upload_2021-6-16_22-58-8.jpeg

The Rotunda roof was mammoth indeed.
    upload_2021-6-16_22-58-32.jpeg

Yesterday I scoped out the forecast. YIKES! It's gonna get fricking hot.
    So I pushed on to Poplar Bluff, MO after the cave tour.
    I'm hoping that will set me up for some Ozark romping road play and still have early enough finish in Mountain Home, AR tomorrow to avoid the full broil setting.