Minneapolis to Whitehorse in 4 days?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Nemo, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Nemo

Nemo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is this relatively doable? I'm planning ahead for a possible trip this June, wanting to make it up there for the Yukon Qwest canoe & kayak race (Whitehorse to Dawson City) and thought it would be awesome to ride the bike up there and back to make for complete "adventure" trip. I can only swing 2 weeks of vacation, though, so would have to make it up there in about 4 days but would have 5 or 6 to get back. I made a rough estimate of maybe 2500 miles each way, so that would seem feasable. Any thoughts?
  2. ImaPoser

ImaPoser adventure imposter

Oddometer:

Quick mapquest shows it to be 2504 miles(good estimating :thumb ) and 45 hours of drive time. I use mapquest quite often, and find the estimated times to be pretty decent. I'd say go for it. :nod
  3. Beemermcr

Beemermcr Big, Dumb, Happy!

Oddometer:
    depending on your route, the roads are 2 lane (good shape) and follow more of the terrain. You will have a lot of daylight at that time of year, but there are a lot of animals at dusk. Doable definitely, but the last part may take longer than you think.

Fun ride!
    Paul
  4. Namron

Namron Old Fart

Oddometer:
    You have lots of daylight, but do the service centers not shut down at about 9: PM on the Alaska Highway?
  5. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    doable yes but feasible maybe not the further north you get the less you have places for repair tires sometimes are hard to find or imposible to get this type of ride is a REAL tire eatter!! keep that in mined I have ridden the alcan a few times and driven it round trip over 20 times been there done that type of thing. thay will be long hard days these are not freeways up here but there is light all night. if you make it to Dawson around 17th or 18th of june there will be a shit load of GS there well buy you a drink:thumb have you ridden long days like that? if so you will know what to expect hope for the best plan for more time.
  6. Nemo

Nemo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the replies so far. I understand that it will be a physical challenge...after all, there's a 400+ mile kayak race involved, too. The possibility of a breakdown does bother me, though. I would hate to get all the way up there and miss the race, although then I would have plenty of time to get home. I suppose it would be best to try to squeeze in another day somehow and also learn how to repair a tire on the road (I've heard that the F650 rims are a bit tricky to work with). I'll have to decide in the next couple of weeks whether to give it a try or not but it's definitely tempting...it would be an adventure no matter how it turns out!
  7. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    Hey Nemo
    knowing how to repair your own tires is not a option you must know and have the tools with you to do it there is no AAA roadside assistance and not much if any cell phone service. but its big FUN:thumb for the prepared check on the over the top hop thread from time to time thats where are group hangs out for info on the dawson ride and this year on to inuvik!
  8. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

Are you flying Northwest or Delta? :lol3 :lol3 :lol3
  9. Wanderlust

Wanderlust Just another spoke.....

Oddometer:
    Land of the flat and home of the corn...Central IL
    Depends on your riding style and the type of days you are willing to put in. I have made it from the SW corner of VA, near Roanoke, to the Artic Circle crossing on Dempster Hwy in, what I would consider a fairly leisurly 6 days. According to my trip log, it was 4,280 mi from my house to the Eagle Plains truck stop and the weather had been in my favor most of the trip, so that was a big help. Also keep in mind I was on an ST1100, not a dual sport thumper, great on the paved roads, BAD on anything else. So doable? Yes! Feasable? That's up to you to decide. Fun factor? I still have a grin after 2yrs & can't wait to go back!

These guys are NOT kidding about bringing a tire kit and KNOWING how to use it! Nor are they kidding about the animals around dusk, and they grow 'em BIG up there!

Be careful, bring a camera with lots of film and ENJOY!
  10. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    The roads are good. At least they were this last summer. After crossing from ND, I ran pretty close to a buck the whole way thru Canada (went up the AK Hwy) except for the towns and tight spots. Plan your fuel stops carefully if pushing a lot of wind. I did some 80 or so mile fill ups because of the gaps in fuel stops.
  11. Quetzal

Quetzal Guatemalan Import

Oddometer:
    Last year, while heading to Alaska, I did Minneapolis to Dawson Creek in 3 days. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=914335#post914335

We had to call it quits and head back south due to a unespected and early snow storm, but according to our program we should had arrived in Whitehorse by the 5th day.

I'd say your idea is doable but forget about sightseeing and program for 600+ mile days. Also, you might have to risk a few close encounters of the cop kind for speeding :wink: .

Good luck and let us know :thumb
  12. BHumW

BHumW so many roads...

Oddometer:
    This past year did Whitehorse through Mpls to Dubuque in 4 days. Fuel up at night, ready to roll in the morning. Some gas stops do close before dark that time of year, worse the farther north you get. Extended fuel capacity helps. The weather and repairs can't be predicted, but preparation goes a long, long way. If it's marginal replace it before you go. I would recommend returning via the Cassiar, Hyder, Banff and Jasper. Have a great trip.
  13. RoyB

RoyB Dartmouth, Massacusetts

Oddometer:
    Why would you recommend the Cassiar rather than the Alaska Highway for the return trip if he needs to be east and has a tight schedule.

I'm doing this trip this summer from Massachusetts and I was under the impression that the Cassiar was a tough road and on a map it looks like it takes you well to the west.

Any other hints and tips would be appreciated.........
  14. BHumW

BHumW so many roads...

Oddometer:
    He said he had 5 or 6 days on the return trip so it sounded like there was some extra time. I believe that route does add about 500 miles but the scenery is first rate, and the folks, food, bears, and salmon glacier in Hyder shouldn't be missed (be sure to hit the Seafood Express for dinner, and the Wildflower Cafe for breakfast). The Cassiar has been pretty rough, but this past year the worst and longest section of gravel was paved. I only remember only one section of about 30 miles that was remotely challenging this past summer. Of course weather and construction can change this, but my experience has been favorable overall, especially w/ a dual sport. Canadian and Alaskan gravel provided it isn't too wet is really a pretty good surface to ride on. Less traffic by far on the Cassiar, of course then you don't get to do the Laird Hot Springs... Choices, Choices...
  15. Fighter

Fighter Head Gruver

Oddometer:

I'm surprised that deer was able to keep up with you all thru Canada....
    You're lucky he stayed next to ya instead of cutting across your path...
    then you really would have been pushin' wind. .. :nod :lol3 :lol3 :lol3