Minnesota North Shore Shindig

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by jwalters, Feb 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arrowhead rider

arrowhead rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It sounds like a lot of us are anxious to get out and make this run. Lets give the op a little time to respond since June is still a ways out but if nothing by may then I agree we should start making alternative plans. Is anyone interested in making this run earlier for the fun of it on a weekend? Its not really anything that couldn't be done in a day or 2 easy days.
  2. jwalters

jwalters Farkle Proliferator

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,
    Sorry for not getting back. Work in Dubai has been all consuming over the past few weeks. I still am hoping to do something in June. Unfortunately, planning a vacation on my return trip from Dubai is proving more difficult than I originally thought. I'm hoping to be up at the North Shore with my bike around June 15th, but I'm sure some other's may want to throw out other dates as well. Go for it! Once we get a general consensus I'll update the first post.
    Jesse
  3. Mr. B

Mr. B Slowpoke

Oddometer:
    I'm interested. I'm OK with dates around June 15th.
  4. MikeS

MikeS Fur shur! Vamos! Supporter

Oddometer:
    South of the Border on the Minnesota Riviera
    Not sure if this comment is aimed at me, but I got back from Moonshine last night, riding the shore Sunday night in the spring fog. Other than the deer, with the fog, it's nice to know the corners of Hy 61 pretty well. I don't know anyone from northern MN who was at Moonshine, although there was a rider I know from Mpls there.

I think it would be fun to simply meet the North Shore riders, and have an impromptu breakfast and ride, starting from some place like Satellites Restaurant, My Place in Finland, or else Betty's. The roads still need a little time, but maybe the 30th of this month would be a good choice. Could be a tradition: last Sat or last Sun of the month, meet for breakfast and a ride. I'd like to ride the Snake Road west of Murphy City. I haven't been across there in decades. There's also that small plane crash site north of Greenwood Lake that I've been to many years back. I've ridden across there several times looking for the footpath to that site, and I can't find it. Maybe someone here knows how to get there. I'd like to see that site again. The crashed plane is still there.

MikeS
  5. c-zulu

c-zulu Works with Turds

Oddometer:
    I was there, ran into Cannonshot also at the Moonshine. What time did you get back on the shore? We merges onto I94 down by Tomah and came across a lone rider, I know it's a long shot but.. was that you? That weather between Solon Springs and Superior was crazy :eek1 I could meet for Breakfast the weekend of the 25th..? Betty's got good pie and coffee..:clap

I was riding with another he on a blue Versey, me on a Black FJR. Both of us wearing a Stich, him Black/Red me Black/Silver.
  6. jwalters

Oddometer:
    Everyone, sorry about the lack of communication lately! I've updated the first post, lets shoot for June 17-19th weekend.

My KTM 990 is stuck in a friend's airplane hangar in San Francisco, so after I get back from Dubai I will be riding x-country from San Fran to Duluth on June 11th. I will most likely be on the North Shore well before June 17th, but it's always good to plan for the unknown. :D

I hope to be in Duluth around June 15th so I can have a couple days to get setup. Since this is free event, if the expectations are low, then no one should be unhappy! :D But seriously, I hope to at least get some Port-o-Potties and a grill so we can do a little cook out.

Volunteers:

1. Sounds like a few of you guys already know the area well. That's great, because I'm hoping someone can help put some rides together for us and post the gpx files.
    2. More food! If anyone wants to volunteer to make pancakes or help with the grilling speak up!

More to come. I will start updating the first with all relevant information. Maybe we should do an "IN" list so we can anticipate the number of folks swinging by?
  7. MikeS

Oddometer:
    Westbound around Mauston there was a huge back up of traffic, and I went over on to Hy 12 to bypass it. Got back on at Ft. Douglas or so. I don't remember seeing two riders together. I was riding a black R1150RT wearing a gray Stich.

Yes, it was pretty windy west of Tomah, a lot. I did pass a lone rider before Eau Claire, slowed by the big winds, but I didn't identify what he was riding. I was probably in the Tomah/Eau Claire area around 4:30 - 5:30PM. I was in Duluth around 8PM.

I stayed at the Comfort Inn in Casey, right on the main floor near the "cinnamon bun/movie room"

Weekend of 25th sounds like a good plan, at Betty's, maybe Sunday morning. Let's confirm later in the month. The unplowed roads here still have a lot of snow on them. Edit: Looks like this can be a "scouting ride", which makes the Betty's meeting relevant to this thread.
  8. c-zulu

c-zulu Works with Turds

Oddometer:
    I got back to the Bay around 1830 hrs so we were a bit ahead of you. We ended up going over towards Davenport and rode the river to E-Debuque, inland to Wildcat Mtn then slabbed it home.

Will confirm later this month and hopefully some other Shore riders will show..:clap
  9. Mnrider2

Mnrider2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in for the 18 and 19.
    Most likely ride up sat morning and home sun night.
    I make a pretty good camp breakfast.:1drink

edit for the dates(duh)
  10. Ride-til-sore!

Ride-til-sore! still 20 in-my-mind

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about checking out this ride. Has it come down to what type of riding will be done? Maybe two groups one of road bikes and one for Dual Sports breaking off from camp for the day? Just thinking out loud as I have a little XT225 and not sure I can keep up with the road bikes on the black top. But, not sure they can keep up with me on the dirt roads as well! :wink:
  11. arrowhead rider

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't worry about what you are riding. The proposed route from Little Marais to near Grand Marais is all gravel. I dont think there is a definate plan on the return trip but even if we take 61 it is only 55-60 miles blacktop.
  12. arrowhead rider

Oddometer:
    Also I am not sure anyone would be riding a street bike on that long of a run on gravel. I know my street bike will be staying home.
  13. MikeS

Oddometer:
    For anyone thinking of riding a street bike on the gravel, I have tons of miles on my RT on the gravel here. I wouldn't hesitate for one minute on a street bike. Only this year did I buy a 650GS, and I haven't even had it on gravel. There are some gnarly, snotty roads I stay off with my street bike, but there are numerous fun and very good routes from Finland/Little Marais all the way to north of Grand Marais that are very do-able on a street bike. The gravel roads here are used by the logging industry and tourists, so they are in good shape for a street bike. You do have to ride smart though, ready for what you can't see over the hill or around the curve, but that's universally true anyway.
  14. Get_Bent

Get_Bent Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gravel can be done on a street bike.

Here's an example of a fella who did a bunch of Rustic Roads last year.

That is Rustic Road 51

[​IMG]
  15. jwalters

Oddometer:
    Agreed! I think two routes for big and small bikes will be a good.

16. tommymerle

tommymerle advwanabee Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just confirmed that our beloved Highway 1 from Highway 61 to Ely will be under construction starting in July. I think this is one of the best motorcycle/sports car roads in the mid-west. The DOT is going to make the road safer so that means fewer sharp curves and dips. Better ride it before it's gone.:cry
  17. jwalters

Oddometer:
    Amen brother! Let's ride'em while they are still here. Let's start the in list!

18. KSH

KSH LurKer Supporter

Oddometer:
    In
  19. jwalters

Oddometer:
    The IN list has officially begun!

20. MikeS

Oddometer:
    I'm out of town/off the internet this coming week. Currently planning to be at Betty's by 10AM on Sunday April 24. Hope to ride the Snake Road starting from or ending near Murphy City. Hopefully the snow is gone, which isn't looking good this weekend. Since the roads are snowy, I'm heading to Lutsen to ski this Sunday, of all things.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.