Minor changes to Mexico's immigration policy

Discussion in 'Americas' started by PirateJohn, Feb 23, 2010.

1. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    Mexico's new passport law takes effect next month

February 22, 2010 6:36 AM
    Jared Taylor
    The Monitor

McALLEN — Foreign travelers will have to show a passport when traveling to Mexico’s interior beginning next month.

The new requirement takes effect March 1 and is expected to create few problems, given that all U.S. and Canadian travelers heading to Mexico already need a passport to re-enter their home countries, said Miriam Medel, spokeswoman for the Mexican Consulate in McAllen.

“We are not doing this to hassle Americans or bother them,” she said. “It is to have better order, be more organized and provide better services.”

Travelers destined for Mexico’s border cities, such as Reynosa or Nuevo Progreso, will not need passports to cross.

But travelers flying from Reynosa to Mexico City, or taking a bus to Monterrey, for example, will be required to show their passports to immigration officials, Medel said. When traveling overland, passports will be checked at the interior checkpoints — about 13 miles from the border.

“If you are just going shopping (along the border) or just to the dentist, you don’t need it,” Medel said.

The U.S. State Department began requiring all travelers — including citizens — at land and sea ports to present passports upon arrival at customs in June 2009. Air travelers already were required to present passports and U.S. permanent residents already had to present their permanent resident card upon arrival at U.S. customs.

U.S. or Canadian citizens traveling into Mexico’s interior still need to obtain a tourist card from an international crossing or port of entry to legally travel beyond the border area, Medel said.

Travelers returning to the U.S. or Canada within seven days can get a tourist card at no cost; otherwise a six-month tourist card costs about $20, she said.
  2. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is no big deal - as is stated in the narrative, U.S. citizens already need a passport when reentering the U.S. by air, and a passport or a passport card when reentering by land.

The only piece that could be clarified is the use of the passport card at the inland checkpoints that are going to ask for it as of Mar 1. A passport card should be OK, as Mexico was a signee to the Western Hemisphere Travel Intitiative (along with Canada and 17 Caribbean nations). I'll be testing this to see how it goes...
  3. crashmaster

crashmaster ow, my balls!

Oddometer:
    Another tidbit that I noticed starting about last November was that my passport and tourist card was checked at ALL military checkpoints in Mainland Mex from Michoacan to Chiapas.

I guess they were practicing. :scratch
  4. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    You were 2-up with Salma Hayek :deal thus the reason for the delays
  5. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Is this the hottie blonde chick?
  6. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    <OBJECT height=344 width=425>
    <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/I0-koH93hQ8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></OBJECT>
  7. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    That foreign babe on his bike was mas caliente, imo, and very real...
  8. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Full credit for caliente foreign babe will be granted upon posting of more pics...