Misadventures of a Hoosierbilly Motorcycle Tramp

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by JB2, Oct 6, 2013.

1. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Joel - Thanks. I was going to say the same about you.

Kim & I have played with the idea of having a winter home on the big lake. We both love winter. I don't know why but we do.

As soon as I get back from this trip I'll be hammering out a new luggage rack using the same mounting points but with different geometry. It does center the weight over the rear axle which I like and it makes the bike more stable when loaded. The bag did not interfere with the riding position but I haven't taken a test ride yet with the bag installed. It is supposed to rain this afternoon so hopefully tomorrow that base will get covered.
  2. Bhuff

Bhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oil changed, throttle lock installed and Coors light consumed. All while listening to Coulter Wall. And Tyler childers and chris knight! 20190820_185241.jpg 20190820_185229.jpg 20190820_185340.jpg
  3. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Brian, Good on ya. Damn, I should had you get a throttle lock for me. I forgot what they looked like but man that is a simple set-up. Me likey! :thumb

Yours appears to be a one oil pan configuration too. Makes it nice.

You mean something like this? You ready or are you ready?

jdfog2 likes this.
  4. Bhuff

Bhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yes 1 pan fits all. I should have asked if you wanted a throttle lock. Mine arrived today ordered on saturday.

I don't need cruise control but it will be nice to relax throttle muscles for a few minutes.

I am so ready for this trip!
    JB2 likes this.
  5. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    - a few things (mebbe in reverse order)

1 - BHuff, where'd you get that sharp throttle lock? I have a plastic one with a rubber band and I am needing to replace it I think as it's old and not sticky anymore. Tried to find a piece of small enough inner tube to use but no such luck (Chuck). Plus, that one you have is sharp looking and a VStrom rider is all about how good things look LOL

2 - JB2, what's this "hammering out" a luggage rack all about? I have some DL 1000 side case racks that came with a top box and some nice GIVI bags I purchased from another Indiana Inmate a month or so ago. They don't quite fit on a DL 650 (Wee Strom) - the downtube parts aren't long enough. (I am gonna probably put some angle iron pieces on to extend it this weekend but I don't think that's a "pretty" long term solution - see above. Vstrom riders love things to look pretty ! :)
    Anyway, I will use that for my upcoming trip but the "I'm an engineer at work" thing looks kinda bad when you have some farmboy engineered racks. (I'd like to extend the tubes to the attachment points with welded on tubes - but I don't know how to weld) If you have some other ideas let me know.

3 - The Indiana contingent of "we aren't Enduro riders" ought to get together before the snow flies.... (RD350 should come too but that's probably kinda far unless he's down for a visit already)

Good luck on your trip. Taking one of my own the day after Labor Day. Maybe the end of the week before - depends on weather forecast
    JB2 likes this.
  6. Bhuff

Bhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Jdfog2.
    It is made by Keiti and purchased from Jp cycles, broke the bank at 22 bucks. I had a plastic one on my klr and loved it. This is made from aluminum and looks like it will work well. ( I hope)
    jdfog2 and JB2 like this.
  7. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    @jdfog2 - The plan is to make a rack. I'll probably use 3/8" bar-stock for the entire rack except for the four mount-to-frame tabs. Its easier to work with than tubing so far as the shaping goes and since it will be on the small side it won't add any significant weight. What it will do is set slightly higher and level, it will mount to the locations the H-B is mounted to and will have a larger platform for the new duffel. Weld it all up and paint it. I've made several over the years.

I'm painting a picture of what you're trying to achieve with your rack set-up. However, even with pictures its still better to solve the problem in person. Joel says he owes me a bike trip up this way? Maybe I could get down your way in September or October. I realize that isn't going to work if you're using it right away. Without anything but your description I'd cut the tubes in a straight area and find a diameter of tubing that fits perfect to either "over-sleeve" or "inside-sleeve" the existing tubing. Make sure your sleeve overlaps each end of the cut by at least one inch, two if possible. Cross-drill at each end through both thicknesses of tubing and bolt it together. The same modification can be welded later, finished and painted. I'd help if you want to throw everything in a truck and bring it up this weekend. Just saying.

Sounds like you're planning to travel the same window of time as Bhuff and I. Throw caution into the wind and join us. Got some gnarly stuff planned nothing in the dirt but plenty warm your earthy soul.

@Bhuff - Are we there yet?
  8. Bhuff

Bhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hehehe.

1 week if I make it that long at work!
    JB2 likes this.
  9. Bhuff

Bhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Throttle lock works great. Oil change good ( no leaks ) . Will test ride with all bags this weekend.

Can't wait!
    JB2 likes this.
  10. Bhuff

Bhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20190826_184428.jpg loaded and ready!
  11. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info! I've been busier than a <insert NSFW colloquialism here> and forgot to respond to you fellas even though I read your replies. Good luck on your trip!
  12. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    JB2. Thanks much for the invite. I am.looking forward to meeting you guys but I am not sure when I am actually traveling. Bought some land and was supposed to close on it THIS Friday and I was then going to leave Sunday.

However, there's some kinda issue with the people doing the paperwork so I changed plans. I may find out tomorrow morning that I didn't need to but I let my brother in law talk me into visiting him in Oklahoma so I am headed that direction whenever I do get to take off.

I have been to the Ozarks many times but never by myself. I have wanted to ride around and check things out so I am going to try to do that on the way there or the way back depending on weather.

And I think you fellas are going tomorrow? I will try to ride up your way before the snow flies.

I'm going to use my soft saddlebags one more time on this trip. I'll work on those Givi racks after I get back.

I'm super cautious about making last minute untested changes and I got too busy and didn't get that done so I am not taking a chance ! Some might say that's an Engineer that doesn't trust himself. On the other hand I'd say that's an Engineer that has plenty of experience

Be safe and have fun!
    JD
    JB2 likes this.
  13. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No firm plans for riding down to Indy this Fall. Wear bars on the tires are getting taller and not planning to replace until Spring. Morning temperatures are dropping so I’ll be lucky to get four more weeks of commuting in this season. By then they’ll be down to 1/32 tread which is ok in the dry. I’m done riding rain this season.

I was looking at air fares today but didn’t pull the trigger. Will look again tomorrow.
  14. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    @jdfog2 - Ozarks are beautiful, especially on a bike. Joel says he might be up this way before the snow flies so maybe we all could get together for one last fling of the season. The James Dean Days are coming mid-September. Just saying.

Invite is still open if you want to do some fabrication over the winter.

Heading south this afternoon. Hopefully after the rain moves out. Pics and adventures to follow.
    bobw, jdfog2 and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  15. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    I was thinking the same thing.

Ride safe and have Fun!
  16. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Those days when you are sitting in an office and your friends are riding.

Sigh.
    JB2 likes this.
  17. Bhuff

Bhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20190829_101112.jpg having a great time with great friends!
    JB2, bobw, Prior and 2 others like this.
  18. Bhuff

Bhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20190831_102100.jpg The rattler. Waiting for Joel to show up.
    bobw and JB2 like this.
  19. radianrider

Oddometer:
    You guys are killing me!
    JB2 likes this.
  20. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Back home again in Indiana. 1324.7 miles in 6 days. No particular plan except to be at the Wheels Through Time museum on Thursday morning to meet up with an old friend, Dave Barr... and to ride with local friends in Franklin, NC for a few days. We avoided rain the entire trip by luck or happenstance except for my last 20 miles home this afternoon. We were both new bikes and both were a lot harder rides than bikes we had traveled with before. Harder in the sense there are no windshields either bike, they both lack rear suspension travel and have a very stiff ride. Brian and I have several 800+ miles days under our belts on some of our past adventures. About 350 miles is as far as either one of us would care to do on these bikes so instead of high miles, we placed a high priority on the people and taking our time. I think the days of burning roads to get to a location are over. Period.

I'm down loading images and will put pictures to words here in a bit. :*sip* It was a great trip and that is an understatement. :nod
    wmailhos and bobw like this.