Misadventures of a Hoosierbilly Motorcycle Tramp

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by JB2, Oct 6, 2013.

1. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Day 1: So day one starts out actually late in the afternoon. I got off of work at 2:30pm. Was home and ready to roll at 3:30pm. Made it to Brian's about 60 miles south of here by 4:45pm. We rolled for NC just after 5:00pm and only stopped for gas once and then hit sprinkles at the edge of Dry Ridge, KY. We made the choice to call it a night at 155.2 miles and found later that it was a good thing we did. We ate at the Casa Martini Mexican Restaurant and listened to locals singing Karaoke. The singing gave little to dine for but hey, they tried, right? We feasted on "as good as it gets" Mexican food. The service was great and the food was better.

While we ate Brian checked the radar and found it was raining fairly hard just to south of us by a few miles. We celebrated a new adventure on two unproven and new-to-us bikes. We looked forward to meeting our family in Franklin the next day and looked forward to introducing them to the legend, Dave Barr.

Lou Usher turned us on to this guy Thursday evening but since we didn't take any pictures on our half-day of touring I'll leave with this. Richard Thompson wrote it and I loved it. Lou Usher does a cover of this song that rocks. Sean Rowe kind of owned it after seeing this video. Anyways its a great song to start a trip with. Enjoy.

bobw likes this.
  2. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    I could get behind that kind of mileage and attitude
    JB2 likes this.
  3. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Can't wait to read the full report and see the photos.

I'll be checking on a date to get up your way this fall. Lys and Dakota will be home from Louisiana this weekend and the next, so it will be after that. Sounds like you may need a bit of a recovery period anyway.
    JB2 likes this.
  4. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Day 2: Brian and I both had a restless night of sleep. He was up at 4:30-ish and me at 5:30-ish. We were ready when the Continental breakfast opened and were on the road about 7:00am. We did snap a few shots of the motel and the Casa Martini just for good measure.

[​IMG]

Microtel. Dry Ridge, KY. Leaving for Franklin North Carolina.

[​IMG]

The Casa Martini. Home of great Mexican food, so-so Karaoke and right across the street from the motel.

We chose to Interstate it on the trip down and then stick to 2-lane roads for the rest of the trip. We had missed the rain just to our south and once on the road discovered it had just ended while we were readying for our departure. The roads were damp but we dodged another rain bullet. The trip to Franklin was fairly unexceptional but that happens on the Interstate. Our goal that night was hugs and handshakes with our second family in North Carolina.

[​IMG]

395.2 miles later we rolled into the Sapphire Inn in Franklin. Yeah, its a dive but its cheap and they know my name. Its just right up the street from brother Mikey Breedlove. Brian Sellers was the first Franklin-ite to welcome us back home. He's got a nice old C10. That's him in the shorts talking to Brian Huffman about the beautiful green truck. Him and his wife Sharon invited us out to their place in the sticks for supper that evening.

[​IMG]

It wasn't a few minutes later that Mikey showed up and we all made plans to head to his place first then ride out to Brian and Sharon's. Mikey want us to follow him on his RC51... not the Harley CVO Road Glide seen here.

[​IMG]

Mikey left no doubt after the first time he cracked the throttle that there was no use for Brian or I trying to keep up with him. Man that RC will fly! Here it is parked under the tree at Brian & Sharon's place. That's Brian and Brian going to look at Brian's new Ram truck under the blanket in the background.

[​IMG]

Here's Brian's first new bicycle... when he was a kid. Its a Western-Auto 5 Speed Stingray. Although I'm not sure W-A called it a stingray. He'd just dug it out of his dad's chicken coop. It obviously didn't look this bad when it got parked in there. There didn't seem to be much reason to restore it so he parked it under the tree as a lawn decoration. Works for me!

Brian grilled up some chicken and pork chops, Sharon put together a salad and they both worked on the potatoes. A three-course meal shared with a full-course group of friends. Reconnecting on many different levels we burned the evening and the early night away. Laughed and told stories of how things change past 60. All of us were there except that youngin' Bhuff. But, he's close and maybe we scared the shit out of him listening to our tales of friends that went before us, leg cramps, our changing physic and those age spots and... well, it gets pretty deep after that. :lol3

I've learned that, in the words of Mikey, that there are things you rip a gut laughing about that "really ain't that funny". Time has changed us even though we defy it and proudly proclaim we still feel young. I had met this crew 17 years ago when Dad was killed at Lost Bridge. We were forty-something then and growing old didn't seem possible. Now we're looking at it, its staring us in the face. Looking forward to who knows how far down the road and looking behind to all the grand things God bestowed on us with the friendships made on that fateful day.

We watched a slide show of Brian & Sharon's recent Goldwing trip out west, talked until we were near sleep and then rode back to the motel. What a day. We had plans to meet up with Dave Barr the next day. Another friend made in the outfall of Dad's passing. We hit the hay that night and had no problem finally getting some rest.

Considering all the the reflections we shared this warm night and the confirmation that wherever we're going we're going together I'm at peace with this song. Its another great song from Sean Rowe. It speaks volumes to the thought of "To Leave Something Behind". Just wow.

Stay tuned!
    bobw likes this.
  5. Bhuff

Bhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20190829_190834.jpg still laughing over this. Gotta love brother Mikey!
    bobw, radianrider and JB2 like this.
  6. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Day 3: Welcome to a picture-heavy day! After a good nights sleep we had planned to meet up at the motel at 8:30-ish. Brian and I toughed it out at the Hardees next door for breakfast and about the time we were ready to roll Lou Usher showed up on his Street Glide from Central, SC. It was a 70 mile ride north for him in the fog and chill of the mountain air. It was good to see him again, and for him and Brian to reconnect after a few years.

[​IMG]

Within minutes Brian Sellers and Mikey show up and everyone is catching up with bikes and BS. Brian checking out Lou's Glide. That's Brian's Wee-Strom setting next to the red CVO of Mike's. We would be all V-Twins today... just not all Harleys. It was an even mix of HD's and "Off-Brands" as Mikey put it.

[​IMG]

Bhuff and Mikey talking Indian Scouts. Its going to be a great day. You could just tell it. It was in the air.

[​IMG]

The crew stopped at an overlook north of Franklin. No one is hurrying today.

[​IMG]

Then we arrived at Wheels Through Time Museum and snared some nice shaded parking spots. Brian and Mikey in a bullshit headlock. :beer

[​IMG]

Sellers and Usher in a parallel headlock. Look at what you've done Dad. You should have been here.

[​IMG]

A group of Victory Visions were parked together. I don't believe I've ever seen one with a side-hack... until now. Interesting. Got any aliens in there?

[​IMG]

There's always an interesting array of travelers and their bikes. One thing is for sure you won't see the same bike twice in the same parking lot. This high-vis Goldwing almost burnt your eyes to look at.

[​IMG]

This is the guy I'd come to call a good friend over the years and more importantly introducing him to my Franklin family. Dave was here to make plans to give his Buell Ulysses to the museum when it turns 100K miles this year. Its not just another Buell. This thing has been around the country more times than most ever have a chance to do in a life time. It is featured in several segments of the movie "Why We Ride" but what makes it more interesting is that Dave is a double amputee and does charity rides for disabled veterans. He's only in his early 70's so I have a lot to look forward to. :1drink

The gentleman standing to Dave's left is Jim Dohms. He's a professional photographer and hails from Maggie Valley, NC. Dave introduced us to each other. Jim was there to shoot Dave for the museum. He also had a display of his exceptional bike photography inside. Dave was on his way to lead the Patriot Express on the Carolina Coast and this was a planned stop to finalize the transfer of the Buell. More on Jim later but he became that "friend-you-made-on-adventure" friend. Thanks Dave.

[​IMG]

Dave is AK(above the knee) on his right amputation. It requires him to use the brake pedal as a footrest. Look closely you'll see that the pedal he rests his prosthetic foot on levers the actual brake pedal like a cam. If you look to the left or behind the brake pedal you'll see a heavy duty valve-spring with the correct spring-rate to support the weight of his lower limb without applying the brake. The upright piece on his foot rest keeps the foot pinched between the pedal and the engine case.

[​IMG]

To make this work using the stock hardware they added this tube to mount the footrest/brake pedal to. It attaches to the front motor mount and the stock brake pedal mount. It works.

[​IMG]

If you've been around Buells much then you know about the saddlebag lock failures. There's no fixing them. Even the replacement parts fail. Dave is a simple man and found the best permanent solution. :D

[​IMG]

Dave explaining to Brian how the brake pedal system works.

[​IMG]

Dave's maker and sponsor of his prosthetics. Precision Prosthetics - Memphis, TN - "If You Can't Walk, Let's Talk".

[​IMG]

Dave posing for pics.

[​IMG]

That's Jim Dohms getting in close. A picture of a picture-taker taking pictures. I learned a lot, or at least got some good advise, while talking to him after Dave hit the road.

[​IMG]

I don't often have pictures of me when I post a ride report but it had been a few years since Dave and I seen each other face to face. We talk several times a year and I've supported his efforts both financially and with the calendar I produce. It was good to see him again. Thanks to Bhuff for taking the photo.

[​IMG]

Dave getting mounted up on the Buell.

[​IMG]

After his right leg is locked in place the he's ready to ride. The other leg is off below the knee(BK) so shifting is as normal to him as you or I. A man's man, if you will. An inspiration to anyone who's had a bad day or life. The soldier of four armies, two tours in Viet Nam included. Has almost as many jumps as he has miles. Paratrooper by military trade. Dives in a club of amputees called "20% Off". Set more Guinness World Records related to motorcycling than you'd ever imagine. Most importantly, all that meet him call him friend and he makes sure you understand that. "Go well!" he says. Go well Dave.

[​IMG]

After our goodbyes we popped for admission to the museum and Lou had already got us all a discounted price on his "senior discount". Thanks Lou! It goes without saying that even the lawn mower here is a cycle of sorts.

[​IMG]

There's so many bikes to look at and there are many new ones since we were last here. I tried to get images and bikes that I had not shot before. Like this Indian Four. This one is for you Bhuff. This particular bike is restored and some of them here are. But, most of the bikes are running survivors. Dale claims that 95% of the bikes here run and they start several of them here each day.

[​IMG]

And another Indian Four. I guess the reason I shot so many Indians is because of Brian's new Scout Bobber.

[​IMG]

How about and Indian Chief chopper? It appears to have come straight out of the 70's. Not sure of the lineage or the builder but this bike was flawless. Whether you like the style or not you can't deny the craftsmanship is impeccable.

[​IMG]

And if you're a rider you already know that Indian 45's were the most popular bike in the Motor-Dromes, Globe Of Death and the Wall Of Death.

[​IMG]

A restored version sets in this display. The bike was appropriately named the "Drome Racer". Bhuff, do you think your Scout can do the same as this Scout? I'd pay to watch. Everyone pays to watch.

[​IMG]

Early bikes were more than just for pleasure. They were work horses. Any number of combinations of rear boxes and sidecars were fitted to motorcycles. This variation I had not seen before.

[​IMG]

Some of the bikes like this Elk I had shot before but were in new displays. I really liked the ambiance of this setting.

[​IMG]

How about a Flescher Flyer for rarity? Only made a couple of years and only a few models over that period of time. This is the only known survivor.

[​IMG]

The Flescher Flyer must have been a stunning bike when it was new. It is now even with the patina of over a hundred years.

[​IMG]

I'd been looking on several passes through here this day for this bike. The Crocker. If I could have any bike from this collection it would be this bike. My first trip here I watched Dale fire this bike up and do a burn-out right inside the museum. The smell of spent fuel and burnt rubber permeated the building of hours... and my soul for life. Did I tell you I love this bike?

[​IMG]

This sheetmetal sculpture sets out front. It says a lot if you're from the "kicker" days. There really wasn't a good angle to get a photo from so I just snapped this shot when no one was standing in front of it.

[​IMG]

The sculpture reminded me a lot of a calendar image I shot in Redkey, IN a few years back. There's a couple of visual puns going on in this image. Can you see them?

After we left the museum it was time to fuel up the bellies so we rode north a short distance to Salty Dogs in Maggie Valley. The service was a little slow since one girl was working the bar and the dining but the food was good. Stories told, friendships reinforced... motorcycling does that.

Total mileage for our trip to the museum and back was a spartan 92.5 miles. But, we're not counting miles on this trip. We're counting things you can't put a finger on. Either you get it or you don't. We finished our ride back to Franklin and were due to have a feast at Mike & Sue Breedlove's at 6:00pm. Lou visited with us at the Sapphire while Brian played music off of YouTube on a neat little speaker he'd brought with him. It was when I was introduced to Sean Rowe.

We hung out until Brian & Sharon picked us up at the motel and hauled us down to the Breedlove's for supper. We feasted on pasta, some kind of wonderful Italian salad, garlic toast and hot apple pie. We talked late into the evening about the day and past trips to Franklin. Finally Lou had to point his Street Glide south to home. We bid him farewell and lasted another hour or so until were all nodding off. The parties end a lot earlier than they used to.

About the time the Sellers dropped us back off at the motel we got word that Lou had arrived home safely. Man what a day.

I'd been thinking about a song that would aptly fit the adventure we had this fine day. Making new memories with old friends and meeting new friends. Our band of brothers all had days we were Howlin' Wolves but we've become a little more laid back. We still run in a pack when we can. We still talk of those crazy days and still have a few crazy days when the time and company is right. I'm needing some hard rock and roll and this fits.

Since this is a picture-heavy post going heavy on the music seems in order. Ironic that the music happens to be from the Picturebooks? Ain't no turnin' back "The Hands Of Time".

Stay tuned.
    Prior likes this.
  7. Bhuff

Bhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sellers and Usher in a parallel headlock. Look at what you've done Dad. You should have been here.

He was brother!!
    JB2 likes this.
  8. Bhuff

Bhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So back home on Sunday, put up 130 bales of hay, mowed 7 acres on Monday and reflecting on a trip filled with old friends.

Jb you are one of a kind . Can't thank you enough for all the memories. Cant wait to make more!.
    Prior and JB2 like this.
  9. Bhuff

Bhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    20190829_121711.jpg this is still my favorite.

And no I am too old for the tube of death!!
    JB2 likes this.
  10. radianrider

Oddometer:
    Great stuff! That Crocker is beautiful.
    JB2 likes this.
  11. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Thanks Brian. I wished you could have met him.

Day 4: Brian Sellers had work on Friday so Huffman and I agreed to meet up with Mikey for a short day-ride out of Franklin. It seemed everyone needed a breath of sleep so we got a later than usual start, but we had no real plans. Just get out and ride.

Before leaving town we stopped by Mikey's day job to meet his co-workers Doug and Sarah. They obviously had the same affection for him that we did. His personality is damned infectious.

[​IMG]

We pointed the bikes north to Waynesville and stopped at the Indian dealer. Mikey was on a mission for his wife Sue to look at the new Slingshots, Brain was after a t-shirt and I was content to hang out and do nothing except enjoy the fine day that lay ahead of us. The good kind of days.

There were two old boys at the dealership which, in time, we figured out didn’t really work there full time. An older gentleman in his early 70’s actually was on the clock part-time. He hung out there for something to do. A dedicated rider and more importantly a traveler. The other guy was an ex-Sheriff’s Deputy. We never caught if he was retired or if he was doing something else for a living. He also hung out at the dealership and sold bikes on commission. Mikey was looking at a Slingshot. His wife Sue said she’d ride with him again if he bought one and was pushing him to give up his 800+ pound Harley for something they both could enjoy. Come to find out the second guy of the two was in the same predicament as Mikey. He was trying to deflect his wife's wishes and claimed that he wore the pants in the house and they weren't buying one. We all laughed and called him out on his BS. Mikey explains that you act and say things around your friends different than when you're around your wife. He's right. There was no chance any of us were buying his poker face. We had a good laugh and a two-hour stop there.

I suspect Mikey and the fellow at Smoky Mountain Indian will both have Slingshots one day. :lol3

[​IMG]

We had come straight up 23 to the dealer in Waynesville but had to backtrack a few miles before jumping on the Blue Ridge Parkway when we left. We mostly just rode. The weather was grand and bikes were out everywhere we went.

[​IMG]

The only time Mikey won't give you the bird is when you want him to. Bhuff got the ADV salute down perfect.

[​IMG]

Breedlove made one request to stop at Water Rock Knob. He had something wanted to show us. There was a new casino in Cherokee and from here you could see it in the valley. I looked but did not take a picture of the place. I did get a shot of the sign...

[​IMG]

... then caught this view looking across the valley. The picnic table is hiding the rocks but I wanted to get the horizon-line with all three bikes. I've got tons of photos from this overlook covering more than 40 years and a bunch of different bikes. You just can't get tired of this. Can you?

[​IMG]

We rode a measly 107.9 miles before arriving back in Franklin. We passed through Cherokee and had lunch there. Brian & Sharon Sellers were having us over again for smoked pork butt, cole-slaw, baked beans and fellowship. I caught this image of Brian's C10 tucked away in its stall. Fitting shot for the subject I thought.

[​IMG]

I've also shot Brian's 1969 Chevelle SS/396 several times so I tried to get something from a different angle then I found it! When he has it uncovered he keeps the doors cracked on the safety catch and the hood and truck open to avoid mold. It is hot and humid down here. He bought this car in high school and has owned it ever since. The restoration was completed several years back and he won best in his class at Super Chevy Sunday. It is very nice, very slick and very straight. Can you tell? :thumbup

We broke bread with our second family in Franklin for the last evening here. We said our goodbyes as we departed. It was late and we covered about all the catching up we could think of. It had been 2015 the last time we rolled through here. Its been way too long.

Bhuff and I would take flight first thing next morning and travel all backroads going home. While we normally burn the trip down & back, then ride high local miles while here but, we changed it up on this trip. We only took the trip down on the Interstate. We rode less than a few hundred miles for our three days here. We mostly just hung out and caught up with each other. It was grand to see Lou along with the Franklin gang. We wished Carol could have made it but she had commitments and that's cool.

[​IMG]

Its been a Super Sport kind of trip. It was just the right amount of riding and friendship. We found we're all crossing that bridge in life and there's nothing we can do but embrace it and laugh at ourselves when things turn to shit. Mikey says, "I don't want a free ride but I want what's comin' to me, not just part of it, I want it all." Now's our time brother. Go for it. Get that Slingshot! :thumb

It's the bittersweet part of the trip now. We hate to leave these mountains but it will be great to be back home. I miss my wife and my family... already.

Stay tuned.
    Prior and Bhuff like this.
  12. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Day 5: We started as early as we could and was on the road by about 8:30am. We weren't in a hurry and had planned to travel state highways all the way home. Well, all the way except for Cincinnati. There's really only one good way to avoid the traffic and that's on I-275. But its a short trip in comparison to the total mileage.

Before we left a guy who was traveling with his girlfriend on a Goldwing talked to us about bikes and long distance travel. He admired my tank bag full of maps after he told us about all of his electronic gadgetry. I think he was surprised that we don't use GPS. He asked about doing it the old fashioned way. It is the only way I have ever done it.

We followed US23 again up to Waynesville and caught 209 North. 209 would take us clear to Hot Springs but there's a section along the way the named the Rattler. I've done 209 in the past but it has been at least 10 years, if not more. It only had one name then... 209.

[​IMG]

The Rattler starts at Ferguson Supply in Fines Creek, NC. We waited on Joel to show up but after cooking in the sun for 15 minutes we put the journey back on the road.

[​IMG]

We did a lot of this. We were both a little sore from the hard bikes so we took several opportunities to get off of them, even if just for a few minutes.

[​IMG]

Looking down one section of the Rattler. We're headed that way...

[​IMG]

...and the road looked a lot like this until we landed in Mt. Sterling, KY for the night. From Hot Springs we headed northwest on US25 until it intersected with US25E going almost straight north. We crossed into the edge of Virginia via the Cumberland Gap Tunnel. We made a quick stop before crossing through the tunnel. A young man working at a gas station within feet of the landmark went out of his way when we stopped there to clean our bug covered face-shields. We always meet good people on the road.

North of there we caught KY11 and traveled further north all the way to Mt. Sterling. Truthfully the roads looked a lot like this almost all the way there. Yeah, there was some 4-lane stuff but it wasn't Interstate and the pavement was generally excellent.

We only ran into one snag and that was at the Natural Bridge/Red River Gorge area. We didn't know how far we'd get on this day so we had no reservations so finding a room was impossible. Mt. Sterling was the first place we had luck and jumped on a room at the Days Inn there.

After 327.8 miles we called it a night. Once we checked into the room we rode about a mile and half down the road to the Cattleman's Roadhouse to get a steak. Brian and I usually have consumed several at this point on a trip but this was our first. We had fine home-cooked meals for three nights straight in Franklin so we spoiled ourselves one last night on the road with a ribeye steak.

While waiting on the steaks our good friend Alex Prior called. He was celebrating the birth of their new child. We had invited him to go but knew there was little chance. Although he lives close it just wasn't in the cards. It was good to hear from him on the road. Alex you were with us in spirit.

Day 6: From Mt Sterling to home was 246.1 miles. Slightly less for Brian. We departed early again and followed KY460 to Paris, KY where we picked up US27. The ride that morning was nothing short of glorious. We had found out the night before while waiting to be seated at the steakhouse that we dodged another rain bullet by stopping in Mt Sterling. The roads were very clean and very smooth. The air was crisp and the scenery was excellent. This route is the best way to come out of the mountains. On the Interstate it generally gets flat and straight. Yeah, you can see mountains on both sides of the road but you lose the perspective of being there once you get north of Knoxville. Going this way you roll out of them gently and you're "in" them.

Brian put together a good string of roads coming down to avoid some construction zones. We re-traced our path once around Cincy. Brian and I parted ways at the end of Centerville Road just a few miles from his place. We had just hit sprinkles but fortunately I rode out of them by the time I got on US35. I hit sprinkles again intermittently all the way to Muncie. My luck ran out there and I hit rain about 20 miles from home. It didn't matter though. I pulled into a Hoosier Pete and donned my rain gear for the remaining miles home.

Sorry there aren't any pictures from this day but sometimes you just got to ride!

@Bhuff - dude, I've had some good riding partners in my life and you're right up there at the top brother. We're different enough to compliment each other but alike enough to always get along and stay on the same pace. Its a zen place that's hard to find. I can't thank you enough for all the miles we journeyed together and I'm looking forward to many more.

Special thanks to Lou Usher, Mike & Sue Breedlove and Brian & Sharon Sellers for the strong friendships over the past 17 years. And Dave Barr. How to thank him is to do something for one of his charities. A lot of people are living life because of his inspirational and charity work.

The best part of every trip is to arrive home safely with more stories than you can hopefully ever remember. This was one of those trips. But, for as good as it is to be home, the plans for the next trip are already forming. I think this song captures that. Just place yourself on a bike instead of in the shoes of a traveling musician.

"... the next roadshow has already begun"

Stay tuned. South Dakota is on the horizon!
    Bhuff and Prior like this.
  13. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Observations from the trip regarding the bike, life, friends, the ride and the rider. :*sip*

The Scrambler is the hardest riding bike I've ever done long distance on. It's sprung a lot stiffer than any of my Sportsters or Buells. There will be no 500 mile days on this bike but it will be a high mileage bike. I'm just going to have to approach trip planning differently with his bike. Take more time. Take more backroads. Ride less per day and see more.

The mapping on the ECM is twitchy. Off idle and especially off and back on the throttle are terribly notchy. It really needs an Ivan's Flash to correct the issue. Other than that the power delivery is smooth and linear.

I like the sound of the engine & the exhaust immensely. Other than the K&N air filter and the flash I won't change much in the performance department. I averaged between 60-62 miles per gallon. I couldn't believe it but the receipts don't lie.

I have to fabricate a better rack for the luggage I intend to use. Not sure if that will happen before the next trip in a month. I have a lot on my plate.

I ain't getting any younger and I paid for it by not taking any big trips over the past two years. I am out of "bike-shape" but this trip went a long way into getting me back into that groove.

You don't get too many chances to have an excellent riding partner like Bhuff. I have two at the moment. I'm going to meet the other one in a month.

I do believe Joel would be a great riding partner but we got to get him more than a half day's ride from home. :D Maybe next year? Brian help me out with the guilt-factor approach here. :beer

Beyond your real family, friends are the spice of life. They're the ones you choose or the ones who chose you. Trips become adventures in the company of good friends. :thumb
    wmailhos and Bhuff like this.
  14. jim a

jim a Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wish I could have joined you and Brian. Great pictures and prose!
    Looking forward to our ride later this month.
    Bhuff and JB2 like this.
  15. radianrider

Oddometer:
    I'll figure a way to make it happen.
    JB2 likes this.
  16. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    @jim a - Brian and I relived a bunch of the miles we three rode together. I tried to get him to blow off work and head to South Dakota. Unfortunately he can't make it so maybe a fourth trip to South Dakota is in order so we can show him around.

Joel - I think Brian and I both are counting on you for a road trip in the future. I believe you would gel well with our traveling style. So many roads, so little time.
    radianrider likes this.
  17. radianrider

Oddometer:
    That South Dakota trip should be amazing.

And the issue with longer trips really is Deb's peace of mind. I'm all in, but her opinion matters most (cuter than you guys.)
    JB2 likes this.
  18. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Agreed on the cute factor. That peace of mind thing counts too. If we were ever to get too far from home we can trailer them. Just saying.
    radianrider likes this.
  19. radianrider

Oddometer:
    What dates are you gone? Was thinking about trying to get Jdfog to head up your way around the 21st, but not sure it works with your schedule
  20. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Joel - The 21st is when I'm leaving for South Dakota. Maybe early October would be better?