Misadventures of a Hoosierbilly Motorcycle Tramp

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by JB2, Oct 6, 2013.

1. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    JD, I like they way you think. I've often had the same thoughts but gathering up ADV'ers for a ride is a lot like herding cats. :lol3

"Old Coot Hoosier Rally" works for me. Joel seems to be the busiest with his job and family so we would have to set a date that would fit him into the schedule. There was also a couple of people who posted on Joel's thread that had recently moved to the area. I'm thinking that we should pick a region/area and then pick a home-base(lodging) central to several days of riding. There's the Ohio River area in the south. The covered bridge area to the west. Those are the areas that offer the most dual-sport options. My preference would be the spring or fall but any time of year that would capture the most Indiana inmates would work. Maybe we should start a thread in the Regional Forums?

I can tell you from experience that it will involve several recon rides, putting maps together for participants, securing agreements with the motel/lodging/campground & seeking out the good places to eat all of which will require more riding and time. Like there would be a problem with that... :lol3

So are we doing a recon ride this weekend? :*sip*

I'm in. :thumb
  2. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Not sure I'm brave enough to tell Deb that I want to spent my only break between now and Thanksgiving riding around the state with old coots rather than spend it with her:lol3:lol3.

I don't have a break until the 27 of Oct. and I'm guessing the odds of getting riding weather at that point will be slim.

In principle...I'm good for this, but I'm not huge on mass rides. Four or five bikes? All in. More---hmmm...I'd have to think about it.

You guys? I don't even have to question it...I'd love it.

Either style riding is good for me--want to go slow? Dual sport. A combo of road and easy gravel? Triumph. Solved!
    JB2 likes this.
  3. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    JB. All good and valid comments! Exactly what I was thinking would happen once we got the conversation started.
    I have a good friend that is a big time rally rider. He's sending me some rally document examples (rules, bonuses, etc.) from a previous rally he was the Rally Master for. I asked him if he was interested in that roll for our initial rally and he was kind of like "Um, yeah, let me get back to you on that." :)

So I forgot about the regional forum. I sure want to make sure we don't intrude on what the Southern Indiana rides have been doing. Maybe we could talk them into partnering or something, especially on the "Not road only" option. I'd want to be sure that whatever we did wasn't scheduled around the same time they plan there stuff. We don't want to compete with them, we just want to increase... along side them is my thought

Joel, you don't have to ride with anyone else in this kind of rally. You ride your own ride (and you can partner with someone if you want but it's not required). You are basically on a scavenger hunt and you design your own route to each "prize." (Bonus location) from a list of more bonus locations than you can probably get to in the allotted time.

For example, we might have 8 or 10 bonuses along a certain easy to plan path that total up to 500pts. But we also might have one out of the way - far away bonus that's worth 400 pts all on it's own. Some folks will try to go for the 400 AND get some of the lower point bonuses so they can end up with way more than 500 that they could get from that easy to plan path. But they may risk them all if they can't get back to the checkin point in time.

I'll do some more research the next few days (riding at least part time this weekend I hope).

JD
    JB2 likes this.
  4. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    I'm with Joel on the "mass rides". I usually travel in groups of 2-3 people. That said, in a rally type situation riders pick the routes(dirt or asphalt) and break off into small groups. There were a thousand or more at that 1994 H.O.G. rally but the only time we ran into a number of other riders were at check points.

Maybe the way we should approach this as an offline event. Invite the people we know and trust and just go riding? Brian and I left a lot on the table. There were a bunch of gravel roads we did not take. There were a bunch of asphalt roads we did not ride. Even if our group adventure turned into 5 or more people we could still break into small groups and intentionally take opposite routes of the other group(s).

We have plenty of time to put something together that fits everyone's preferences but I do like the idea of an Old Coots Rally/Adventure. Very much so. Even if it is just our small circle of friends we should do something.
    radianrider and jdfog2 like this.
  5. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:

Not much riding in the past few weeks even with the nice weather. I've been working in the shop... bench riding, if you will.

[​IMG]

We ripped a little KZ400 down to the bones and are building an adventure chopper. You can find the thread HERE.​
    Bhuff likes this.
  6. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    And for those wondering--Brutus is still waiting patiently for JB2 to get back to her. :D
    JB2 likes this.
  7. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Brutus is on hold until winter. GRIM will get all the attention for a few months. Once it is turned into a roller the engine will get sent out for rebuild and Brutus will be back at the top. :D