Misadventures of a Hoosierbilly Motorcycle Tramp

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by JB2, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Prior

Prior Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    JB2,
    Great RR, and I'd loved to join you for the trip to the UP... My schedule hasn't been the best to get out for a road trip, but the UP might have been a bit more do-able than the Black Hills, but still tough.

I've had the opportunity to hang with Milo twice, and one missed shot in Iowa... As you know, Milo payed a visit to my friend Matt in has last days on this earth. You, Ferris, Milo and a pile of other Buellers supported me on my trip across the continent back in 2004, RANE, by Ferris's challenged spelling, to raise money for the American Cancer Society in Matt's name. RR here, which was chronicled on Badweb and I also shared here http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=490371. Milo's a one in a million, and was the last of our crew to hang with Matt before his passing. I am well overdue on a trip to Michigan to visit Matt, his folks and Milo.

[​IMG]

That shop Milo has is awesome, Heather may be scared to even let me vist for fear of what I may do here!
  2. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Prior, Good to see you chime in. Maybe we should make a mass assault on K'zoo one of these days and have a gathering at Milo's. I could spend a day, week, month or even longer just digging through all the treasures hidden in the woods. That's without even opening the door on his shop. :lol3 He has added on to his home to care for his parents so he's pretty tied to the place. His dad seems to be quite a character. Would have liked to have had more time there but we were, like normal, on the roll. A stop there merits more than just one afternoon. You tell me when and I'll meet ya there. :D

Ride Hard, Ride Free Matt Ware
  3. Milo H

Milo H Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Man! I've been lurking in ADV off & on for quite a few years.
    Today I found it necessary to actually register for an account.
    Why? Cause you guys are ruining my hard earned reputation as a cantankerous, ornery, backwoods biker/hermit/curmudgeon :D.

Glad to be here. I'll be first in line when the time comes to plan a K'zoo get together!
  4. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Milo, Can't say how honored I am to have you join ADV and this thread. You can be a cantankerous, ornery, backwoods biker/hermit/curmudgeon all ya want but we know better. :wink: Kim has been wanting to go OOOOpin' to look for rocks in the Copper Harbor area so I'm guaranteed at least one trip next summer. Besides I've yet to meet Janet and maybe her and Kim won't feel left out if we get lost. This year we did the same thing we did on the last ride up there; not having enough time to really get to the gnarly stuff. Considering Jim's demise we did what we've always done best and that was to make the best of it... and we did. That said, I know I'll be making a return trip on the bike... so two trips next year. If Prior commits to a bike trip to your place I can assure you there'll be a few more cantankerous, ornery, backwoods biker/hermit/curmudgeons in tow. Careful what ya ask for! :lol3
  5. Milo H

Milo H Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    We may have to get together over the Winter. I know where there is a trail...... :evil

Actually, there is a trail out of Copper Harbor, ends up on a agate filled shoreline.......shh :lol3
  6. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    buls4evr, Is that CR58 also known as H58? We ran into a girl riding solo in a little town called Engadine at a restaurant called Mary's Garden. She was an Oooper and told us about a road in the San Marais area but I think she called it H58? She said it was one of the best motorcycle roads in the world. Same road?
  7. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Milo, Lemme talk to Kim. We've been married to this house for 10 months and with losing her mom she's needing a good diversion. We're going fossil hunting in Southern Indiana Sunday but all she talks about is Copper Harbor. She wants some agates... bad, Let's compare schedules soon.
  8. Milo H

Milo H Curmudgeon

Oddometer:
    Nope, not a road at all. Just a trail,(well last time I was there, 1991?)
    Tried to follow it in a Ford van. Got in about a mile, had to abort, due to soft sand. Hand held Magellan GPS indicated another 2 miles to shore.
  9. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    Yes; one and the same. That is Grand Marais....
  10. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    Subscribed to this one. Great story and great photos!

Spent my high school days in Cadillac, MI. Milo's comment about having to abort a trip due to sand made me laugh. Many a fond memory of burying my KE100 enduro up the axel in sand trying to climb hills in the backwoods of the Manistee National Forest.

Keep the stories coming, JB2!
  11. TimChandler

TimChandler n00b

Oddometer:
    Just awesome trip.. Glad you shared such wonderful pics.. I have been planning a long adventurous trip but still not successful..
  12. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    buls4evr, Hey thanks for the correction. I was stumbling through a New Mexico topo map while hanging a reply on ADV.... :lol3 San , Grand... at least you knew where I was talking about even if I didn't. :D

radianrider, Glad you stopped by. We had a busy weekend starting with the Mississinewa Battlefield in northern Indiana and ending in the Hoosier National Forest in southern Indiana. Got some great shots I hope to get up this evening.

Tim, Hope you get that trip scratched off your bucket list. It seems like once you get the first one under your belt the next ones come more easily & frequently. :clap
  13. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    JB2, if you love history and great dirt roads you should ride the LooseNut ride in November. It is a 2 day event, full of rivertown history , that starts in Vincennes. No pressure to ride tough trails or anything just a leisurely run with some buddies. They are a great bunch.They really know the areas history too.

Strangely enough, I was going through N IN just as you guys were leaving, only I was headed West to Des Moine,IA. I ride a lot in IN in the HNF/ Bedford area. Also like Parke Co. covered bridges. And, you spoke about looking at a NMexico map? I live there in Deming ,NM 5 mos. per year when not in MI.It is WARM in NM in the winter and the roads are fun. PM me if you want to know more about any of this stuff.
  14. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    buls4evr, I took a grand trip <http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209478> with Fast Ferris a few years back and was looking at the topo map to refresh my memory on the legs of old Route 66 we had ridden. It just so happened I was also replying to your post on this thread about CR58 in the U.P. OOOOOPS! :D

The LooseNuts ride sounds intriguing and I'm assuming it is the Wabash River? Actually I am up for some dirt riding. Just got the KLR and have 2k miles on it but very little dirt time. Would hate to wear out the first set of treads on asphalt only. :lol3 I'm very interested. I'll ping you tonight to get the details.

And, BTW, if you're ever passing through Indiana don't hesitate to look me up. We live just north of Muncie or 60 miles south of Ft. Wayne in the heart of James Dean country.
  15. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    As it turns out I know IN very well as I have ridden across the NW and Western part of it many times. We also raced karts down there in the 90s a lot. I know that Muncie /Fairmount area pretty well. We raced karts over at Portland several times as well. Also been to Kokomo/ Gas City to see cars race and through that area a lot of times on our way to The Springfield Mile every Labor Day wknd for 15 yrs.We try to go a different back route every year going down there and stay off 69 and 70/74.See the PM I sent you.
  16. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    buls4evr, Got the PM, thanks. Tweaking the calendar now to possibly ride on Saturday of the LooseNut Ride. Checked out the thread in Regional Forums and was impressed with the pics from last year's ride. We found several trails of the same quality in Morgan and Monroe counties this past weekend. Sounds like you've been in my back yard many times. We live in Hartford-tucky(aka Hartford City) right in the middle of all the other places you mentioned. So look me up next time you're passing through.
  17. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    JB2....hopefully they get 3 great days of weather like we had in 2012. It was crisp, about 55 each day but really great in low speed gravel areas. It had rained the day before so the dust was very light the 1st day:clap. At that time of year it is 15 degrees warmer down there daily than it is where I live in MI.
  18. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Well, after almost two years of being absent on my own thread there may be enough time to sit down and catch it up with some of the highlights. Kim and I started a major remodel on our starter home January 19th, 2013. While the effort is nearing completion the process has caused us both to give up a lot of time we'd normally spend traveling or just enjoying life. I traded up to a KLR at the beginning of the project and it sat on the lift untouched until a day before I left for the trip that started this thread. As of this writing I've only accumulated 9200 miles... the sum total of 4 trips and three day trips that only just happened this summer. So enough excuses, here's the beginning and nearly the end of our marriage to this old house.

[​IMG]

We bought this place 35 years ago and raised 2 kids here. Couldn't stand the thought of moving so we undertook a major renovation.

[​IMG]

We enlisted a good friend and general contractor to do the basic structure while we saved money doing the tear-out and finish work.

[​IMG]

The result was nearly doubling the size of the home adding several rooms in the process.

[​IMG]

Enough home improvement already. Let's get the show on the road.
  19. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Last September I finally got enough completed on the house and enough time put together to take off for more than a long weekend. Gentleman Jim, as mentioned in the first ride on this thread, hails from Puyallup, WA. He has friends from the service in almost every corner of the world. He started his journey by riding to Columbus, OH to visit one of those friends. He got to our place on Friday night. Saturday morning we left for South Dakota and points in between. We heard the rumors of it snowing in the direction we were going but hey, it's an adventure, right?

I set a goal of doing this trip without touching wheel to the interstate. We followed 28 across Indiana then 136 across Illinois. This was the only picture from the first day on the road. We overnighted in Keokuk, IA

[​IMG]
  20. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    From Keokuk the next morning we cut through the corner of Missouri and found this little known Civil War Battlefield.

[​IMG]

Most of the buildings on the property are original to the town of Athens, MO...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

... except for this one below. It is an open hall and gathering area with picnic tables, vending machines and very clean restrooms. Good place to take a break since the heat was starting to put on a burn.

[​IMG]

As we ventured back across the border into Iowa and headed west we found this unique location in a small town who's name I can't remember.

[​IMG]

An old Buick, an old Cadillac and the nose from a Shoebox Ford hanging over the garage door, just begging for a picture.