Misadventures of a Hoosierbilly Motorcycle Tramp

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by JB2, Oct 6, 2013.

1. 72 Yamaha RD350

72 Yamaha RD350 Followed the Wrong God Home Supporter

Oddometer:
    - I have done this one; will likely do it again

I have a general rule against going east of Indiana with the only potential exceptions being the BRP and Skyline Drive.

I will likely do SW Kentucky - the location of my maternal roots.

Very high on my bucket list to ride. The Arkansas Motorcycling Guide is sitting here on the right arm of my chair whispering to me every single day that I need to get down to the Ozarks.

I have ridden this in various distances. Willl likely ride again because it is convenient.

I'm not familiar with this. I'll need to research.

Have ridden and will ride again.

The Snowy Range Scenic Byway is very high on my bucket list but I could probably be happy riding anywhere in Wyoming on a non-windy day

Lolo Pass and Going to the Sun Road are at the top of my bucket list.

Also at the top of my bucket list. I occasionally look for property for sale in Alpine and Marfa. Looks like a nice place to spend the winter in my retirement years.

No thank you.Been there a lot. Some gorgeous places and great roads but I'm not interested in being anywhere near 39 million people while on my motorcycle.

The fortune teller sees a Gold Wing in your future. Since you are a Yamaha guy you might need the Tracer in touring garb. I could see a Heritage Classic in my future if I ever feel like Elvis is too much. After the HC could be a 1200T. None of us know how many LD years we have remaining. I do know that I couldn't ride anymore miles than you guys do on the bikes you are riding - it's even possible that I couldn't keep up with you. Maybe the RD took it all out of me way back when (similar to the Jeep fulfilling my life's desire for off-road driving). The only reason I can ride the miles I do is because Elvis is comfortable and remarkably fun to ride for being an 800 pound pig.
    jdfog2 likes this.
  2. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer, but I'm a polo shirt guy. The HD demographic doesn't include people who wear polo shirts. I look for them in the HD stores but I never find them. They carry checkered shirts with buttons but I don't have the patience for that much work. :D :D :D :D :D (my polo shirt would have been on by now)

I've been to Ogallala and North Platte, possibly even Scotts Bluff - but I've never really been through the Sandhills. I started looking at it after I got home from North Dakota in July.

Riding parts of Colorado is on my list too, but I've been to most places in the state. One place I haven't been that would be a good ride is Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

Right behind Lolo Pass and GttSR at the top of my bucket list is riding the loop around Olympic Peninsula in Washington. That will also get me a ride through the Cascades and a stop in the town where Northern Exposure was filmed (a family favorite from the '90's).

Even though I've been to the Grand Canyon numerous times, I'd like to ride to the North Rim and stay a night or two. That would also put me near Utah 12 through Escalante which is a favorite road of many riders. Mrs.RD is from a town north of there and I often tease her that we are going to move there (not in her plans!).

The Natchez Trace is also on my bucket list to ride.

I'm a stop and smell the flowers rider. I can easily do 400 miles per day solo, 500 miles is a minor push, 600 begins to lose the fun factor.

I've never trailered so I don't know how I'd feel about that, but I see a trailer in the future when Mrs.RD comes along. More about that coming up in my thread.

What I can say is that, although I like driving too, I have no desire to drive these roads. I want to ride them - to experience the landscape and the road as a rider.

@JB2: My apologies for hijacking your thread.
    jdfog2 likes this.
  3. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    @72 Yamaha RD350 - No apology necessary, not at all. I appreciate your contributions! I've done a good bit of the Natchez-Trace. Often thought I'd like to do the whole length like I have done the BRP and Skyline Drive numerous times. Black Canyon in Gunnison is a must do. Remember Cathedral Spires on the Needles Highway and imagine that on an enormous scale all rising up from the canyon floor and walls. When Brian, Gentleman Jim and I were there we met an older couple with grandkids in tow. They had just been to Grand Canyon. His opinion was that Black Canyon was better. Certainly not bigger by any means but better because it is so "in your face".

The t-shirt offer stands just in case you ever change your mind but I get it. I wore polo shirts for over 20 years but because of a shortage in techs, large workloads and my own constant frustration in dealing with the public I volunteered to go back on the floor. Can't remember being this happy at work for a long time. Sending all of my polos to Goodwill! :thumb

@radianrider - I know you might be doubting the KLX for a long haul bike but consider this; we'd be traveling all 2-lane backroads while riding 200-300 miles per day. AND, if that wasn't enough watch this from Itchy Boots. When I grow up I want to be as bad as her! :lol3

I like when the guy asks her why she does it (traveling alone on a motorcycle) and she replies, "Because I like it!" Kindred spirit, she is. Much respect.

72 Yamaha RD350 and jdfog2 like this.
  4. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A "Gold Wing in your future"
    If that's some fancy casket brand then maybe
    Heck
    This RT is a lot more "big" bike than I care for. But I admit it's grown on me this Summer.

I really like the thought of a <500lb Sport Tourer bike. But I live the stability of this 578 lb dry (or whatever it is RT in wind. It's the bees knees !

That Trumph 660 "Adventure Sports" on the front page is intriguing. Then again..the VStrom is paid for a d has a lot of good years left so not sure what would be different other than me being 10,000 poorer. That much dinero will buy a lot of Polident in 15 years (a lot lore if my 10,000 is invested and growing)

Choices...
    JB2 and 72 Yamaha RD350 like this.
  5. radianrider

radianrider Adventurer wanna'be

Oddometer:
    Avon, IN If we never go, we will never know
    I'm not against doing it on the 250! It'll do 60-65 very happily and get to the low 70's (with just me aboard) with some effort. It is a fun ride!
  6. 72 Yamaha RD350

Oddometer:
    I forgot you had the RT. You could knock 2 or 3 things off our bucket lists every summer. Within a couple summers you could have an empty bucket!
    JB2 likes this.
  7. Bhuff

Bhuff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally cleaned the Indian today. 6 whole cooked grasshoppers and enough body parts to build at least a dozen more!!
    Ready to head back to the Sandhills and see if we can cook a few more.
  8. JB2

JB2 Dirt Of The Earth

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you’re ready to eat some more ‘hoppers. Bet they were hard to clean off after almost 5 weeks. Checking off several weeks of vacation for next year. Not sure about 250’s or a trailer. A lot depends on whether or not we(?) would be dealing with one or two weeks and who all(You, Joel, Jim, LD…) would be going. The only thing for sure is I am going back. The second and third week of September are the best weather with the fewest tourists.

Next year is 20 years since I lost Dad so a week in May is also planned. No party or huge gathering planned but just spending a week with family in Franklin. Any one previously mentioned is welcome including all that have been a part of that circle. Riding and exploring are the only other things on the agenda. We’ll probably retrace our backroad trails past Hillbilly’s place on the way down and back. Damned good roads.

Still some time to collectively assemble a gaggle of riff-raft for a local ride iffin’ anyone is interested.