Missing American Rider in Mexico

Discussion in 'Americas' started by fredgreen, Feb 9, 2014.

1. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now we know, know, know.
  2. chilango13

chilango13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The shit hit the fan in December of 2013 when the "Autodefensas" took arms and fought Michoacan's drug cartel, the Knights Templar. The community police or Autodefensas armed themselves with AK47, M16, AR15 and 9 milliter handguns to defend their families and homes. The Knights Templar cartel are fighting back and killing innocent people because it would mean losing their strong hold on all their illegal activities which brings them hundreds of millions of dollars a year. I would not ride through their right now...BTW municipal and state police are all currupt. I would only trust the Federal Police and some branches of the military...
  3. chilango13

chilango13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hope they find that young man...but it looks bleak!...
  4. Merlin III

Merlin III Long timer

Oddometer:
    FIXED! Sorry for any inconvenience you may have suffered. :1drink
  5. The Walrus

The Walrus Gone and back again.

Oddometer:
  6. _cy_

_cy_ Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. MOAC Man

MOAC Man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Did I miss something here?
    Has he been found?
    What's the latest?
  9. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes
    No
    ?
  10. fredgreen

fredgreen Beer drinkin Bluenoser

Oddometer:
    No, he has not been found, at least not from what I have seen or read.
  11. MOAC Man

MOAC Man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like your approach acejones.
    Simple like.....arrr my KLR!

Thanks guys. I just hope this has a happy ending.

H.
  12. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:
    I just found this link on a Michoacan newspaper. The news is dated Feb 12.

http://www.vozdemichoacan.com.mx/harry-no-habria-estado-en-michoacan-procurador/

in summary says that is very possible that he did not ride thru Michoacan ever, but thru Mexico State, and that in fact he got to Ixtapa and continued from there

but you bette try to google translate for furhter reading...
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
  13. AndyT

AndyT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It would be interesting to see the actual email from the "Canadian friend" that supposedly talked to or got an email from Harry saying that Harry did get to Ixtapa.

Otherwise, it sounds to me like the state attorney from Michoacan is just trying to say it is Mexico States problem, because the Canadian's email says he went through Edo de Mexico, not Michoacan.

Anyone find the Canadian's email anywhere?
  14. arrcrussell

arrcrussell Gimme Dirt

Oddometer:
    ???
  15. fredgreen

fredgreen Beer drinkin Bluenoser

Oddometer:
    The news has gone dead on it. I hope he made it through without problems though.
  16. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    He is now holed up writing his book with the harrowing tale.
  17. scudrunner

scudrunner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For his sake I hope you are right... but if you are right I'll be the first to line up to kick his ass. There is nothing I hate more than a fake!
  18. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Harry Devert shared a link.

<a class="uiLinkSubtle" href="https://www.facebook.com/harrydevert/posts/10152220401191163?stream_ref=10"><abbr title="Saturday, 22 February 2014 at 12:46" data-utime="1393101993">22 February</abbr>

I ask you all to keep Harry in your thoughts and prayers and to picture a positive outcome as the resolution of what appears to have been an opportunistic kidnapping gets closer and closer. The following article, printed in the newspaper Excelsior the 21st of February, may provide a significant lead in our search. Harry may or may not be at the ranch mentioned in the article but the fact his motorcyle, distinguishable by its black box saddlebags, has been seen makes the likelihood of finding him in that area more likely. His rescue will require diplomacy and, I believe, a coordinated effort. Those believed to be holding him say they never harm others unless provoked.
    - Posted by Harry's mother Ann

Morelia, 21 of February
    According to the investigation conducted by Michoacan authorities concerning the disappearance of HARRY DEVERT the American motorcyclist, he did not disappear in Michoacan but in Guerrero.

Excelsior gained access to confidential reports of the two state prosecutors which affirms that the last place the "world traveler" was seen was in Playa Troncones, between Ixtapa, Guerrero and Lázaro Cárdenas, Michoacan.

According to the testimony of a subject arrested by police in Zihuatanejo, Harry was detained by members of organized crime at the behest of a subject nicknamed The Hawk and his deputy known as The Tiger, who illegally held him against his will.

According to research by specialized staff of prosecutors of the two states, those who captured Harry Devert belong to a criminal group known as The Warriors which until a few months ago belonged to the Knights Templar and now serve the interests of Jalisco's New Generation cartel.

Investigations were ongoing when earlier this week Bryan Jimenez Mandujano was detained in Zihuatanejo for carrrying a gun prohibited for civilian use and, when questioned by the Public Ministry, confessed to being part of an organized crime cell.

According to government sources, Bryan Jimenez confessed that his boss, a subject identified as Adrian Reyes Cadena, The Tiger, seized the young native New Yorker, believing him to be a member of the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA of the United States.)

Until yesterday the whereabouts of the US motorcyclist had not been established because Jimenez Mandujano has not provided many details: the detainee claims not to know the fate of the victim of his criminal
    organization but research suggests that he was taken to a ranch called La Palma near Petatlan where his royal eminence , El Tigre, and his criminal group are based.

A rumor unconfirmed by ministerial authorities says Adrian Reyes has been seen aboard the motorcycle owned by the disappeared young man.

Harry Devert of Franco-American origin, left New York at the beginning of January (actually it was December) with just a tent on his motorcycle, heading to Brazil with the intention of attending the World Cup.

The last time he was seen was the 25th of January in the state of Mexico where he had stayed at the home of a friend.
    Note: The last place he was seen was at the Diamond Pemex Station in Huetamo, shortly before he stopped for lunch and texted Sarah.)
    http://www.excelsior.com.mx/nacional/2014/02/21/944950
  19. AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ace, I sure hope this is the case, but personally I am afraid he met with an accident, and simply hasn't been discovered...

I am no Mexico expert, but I did recently come back from nearly six weeks riding around...some of it with friends, some of it solo. The number of beautiful, narrow roads, steep canyons, cliffs, etc is breathtakingly beautiful. But, if you were unlucky to go off the edge, you might possibly never be discovered.

He is in my thoughts and I hope the resolution for him being found is a good one.
  20. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    I really have to agree with this, I have had two friends go off the the edge of some of our roads here in Mazatlan,
    With one I could see the dust cloud cause I was close behind him, he was ok but very hard to see in all the brush, and I knew where to look!
    The other guy climbed up out of the hole, & found him on the side of the road, could not see his bike though it was that thick...