Missing biker Ecuador

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by pictish, Apr 22, 2011.

1. pictish

pictish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry mods if this is the wrong place.

Hi guys took this from the HUbb it is also posted in a few other travel forums. Heres the new facebook search page.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_207649939260114

HE is on a 125cc suzuki it looks like the gn/ gs/ gx naked version that was sold in Europe[road bike], it is black and has columbian plates.

Surname: Murray
    Given Names: Hugh Graham Note: *uses his middle name “Graham”
    Birthdate: 1987 (23 years old)
    Place of Birth: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Nationality: United States
    US Passport
    *also a Canadian Passport

Ht: 6' 1" Wt: 150 lbs
    Fair skin, light hair (short), green/hazel eyes

Background Information:
    Graham lives in Bellevue WA, USA. He is an American citizen, but he was born in Canada, holds passports for both countries, and sometimes says he is a Canadian.
    He took time off from college after second year and has been travelling around the world for almost 2 years. Throughout his travels, he has always been in regular communication with us every 1-2 weeks. He was last home this past Christmas. He re-registered at Western Washington University for the summer session beginning in June 2011. He planned to complete the last leg of his world-wide travels by going to South America, then returning home in mid May to find housing in Bellingham in preparation for his return to school.

He flew to New York and then to Bogota, Columbia, arriving there @ Jan 23, 2011. In Bogota, he purchased a motorcycle, believed to be a black Suzuki, (see photo attached) and began his journey riding from Bogota to Chile. For accommodation, he uses cheap hotels or hostels but he also camps out. He has been known to work odd jobs along the way for free room & board.

Up until, Mar. 7th he was in communication with us pretty much weekly either by telephone, skype, or e-mail. We have not heard from him since that time despite repeated requests sent to his e-mail address. Calls to his cell phone go directly to voice mail. This behavior is not typical and we are extremely concerned that he has had an accident or is in some sort of difficulty.

We reported him missing to both the Canadian and American government agencies. A border check revealed he had crossed into Ecuador from Columbia. He also registered the motorcycle. The US Embassy in Quito opened a case file and has taken the lead role in the investigation. John Mason, their security agent, is heading it up. They notified the embassies in Peru and Chile to be on the lookout for him. They have contacted hospitals, police stations, etc.

An appeal for information on FACEBOOK yielded contacts who reported Graham was with them in Quito, Mar 9 -10 at the Blue House Hostel (Home

They said Graham left Mar.11th, on his way to Peru by way of Tena. It was subsequently learned from the bank that his last financial transaction occurred in Macas on Mar.13th.

There has been no further financial activity on any of his credit cards and accts since that time. No one has reported seeing him later than that.

The Embassy is distributing flyers (see attachment) in the Macas area. Their security office, military section, Peace Corps (they have volunteers in remote areas) and all the resources of the Canadian Embassy are contacting everyone they know in Macas and south of there.

The Embassy’s security officer is contacting Google re: gmail.com to try and obtain access to his e-mail account in an effort to obtain further leads. His office is also following up on requesting video, if it exists, from the Macas bank withdrawal.

The banks are co-operating by placing alerts on Graham’s accounts, atm cards and credit cards, and will notify the Embassy of any activity.

Friends in Ecuador are attempting to contact the media - TC TV, RTV, and Caravan Radio with a request to broadcast a “missing person” segment.

ANY INFORMATION PLEASE CONTACT:

U.S. Embassy Quito
    Tristan Spiceland (*replacing Joan Parrish
    ParrishJH@state.gov)
    Tel: (593-2) 398-5537
    Fax: (593-2) 398-5268
    IVG: 644-5537
    SpicelandTM@state.gov
  2. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Hopefully he just decided to unplug for a spell and this story has a happy ending.
  3. jamesobrady

jamesobrady ehhh....what ??

Oddometer:
    Hopefully he just found a finca or something to do some work on for board...

I'll be heading down that way from Medellin in the next few days so will keep an eye out. Any more info on his bike/luggage/bike clothing/helmet ?
  4. TongueLady

TongueLady Shine A Light

Oddometer:
    Pictish, thank you so much for posting this!
    I am RoadRash's sister (Pacific Nor'wet Region) and this young man went to HS with "my kids." (I was waiting for an e-mail with pix before posting.)

Here is a pic of Graham's bike:
    [​IMG]

Info from the e-mail I received:

Hugh Graham Murray (American, age 23) was riding a black Suzuki motorcycle model DN 125. He was last seen in Macas (Morona Santiago), Ecuador around Mar. 11-13th and was believed to be on his way to Peru and Chile. Report any information to the US Embassy Quito Tel 02-398-5000.

El ciudadano estadounidense Hugh Graham Murray, de 23 años, desapareció en Macas (Morona Santiago). Según la Embajada de ese país, él estuvo en la Amazonía del 10 al 13 de marzo. Graham conducía una motocicleta Suzuki negra, modelo DN 125 y estaba recorriendo América del Sur. Antes de pasar por Ecuador estuvo en Colombia. Si conoce su paradero, por favor comuníquese al número telefónico 02 398 5000.

And here is the wording on the missing flyer doc that the embassy has been passing around. It's got a great picture of him, but my dinosaur computer is too old to convert the file so I'll do it from work on Monday.
    Or, if anyone else wants to do it, pm me with your e-mail addy and I'll forward the e-mail.

MISSING

DESAPARECIDO

Si lo ha visto, por favor comuníquese con nosotros

HUGH GRAHAM MURRAY

Born/Nació: 1987, Canada-23 years old/años

Citizen/Ciudadano USA/CANADA

Please call/favor llame al: U.S. Embassy, 02-398-5000

(Can the mods sticky this?) <---Done...thanks!

Please help get the word out on as many other motorcycle forums/websites/blogs/etc as you can!!!

On behalf of Graham's friends (aka "my kids") and his family, THANK YOU for your time.
  5. GastonUSAChile

GastonUSAChile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On contacting each country south of Ecuador, Peru and Chile custom borders, it would be easier to know on which country really he is right now.
    Most probably the U.S. embassy did this already.
  6. TongueLady

TongueLady Shine A Light

Oddometer:
    Latest update from Graham's dad on his fb page:

We have had word that Graham was possibly seen in the town of Taisha Ecuador. The US Embassy is trying to confirm this via police that are close to what is a very remote area of the Amazon. The good news about this report is there are two separate people that claim to have seen him. One as recently as 8 or 9 days ago. We hope to learn more soon.

Graham's parents are headed to Ecuador tomorrow.
    I'm not having any luck saving or converting the picture of Graham from the flyer, but if anyone wants it, I'll be happy to e-mail it.
  7. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    Here is a picture of Graham:

[​IMG]

My prayers are with you all.
  8. TongueLady

TongueLady Shine A Light

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for posting that pic for me, Nata Harli.

Another name that Graham could be using is Gregario...I think that might be the name he used in his Spanish class in HS.
  9. GastonUSAChile

GastonUSAChile Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It should be GREGORIO
  10. TongueLady

TongueLady Shine A Light

Oddometer:
    That sounds better...I just reposted what his dad added to the fb page. ;-)
  11. Jacl-Kampuchea

Jacl-Kampuchea Booze Merchant

Oddometer:
    Hope he turns up O.K.

As a young guy who lived overseas for seven years, I normally speak to my folks every 3-4 weeks - but I have been known to periodically "go missing" for up to three months.

No bank a/c use would have me worried too, however.
  12. TongueLady

TongueLady Shine A Light

Oddometer:
    Thanks, J-K. I hope he's just off the radar on an adventure.
    Here is today's update from Ross:

Hi All,

We have been in Ecuador since Sunday last week.

We have been searching for Graham with the assistance of the Canadian and US Embassies, Various Ecuadorian Police, Various agencies from the Shuar Nation and local Ecuadorian people who have offered their help and support. All of this has been extremely generous and truly helpful to us.

As yet, we still have not found Graham. We have had lots of leads to follow. Some from old sighting others that look to be quite recent. One problem is many people believe that they saw Graham but cannot be sure. Young American / Canadian men look very similar to many people here.

The good news is we are optimistic that Graham is alive and well. He is simply difficult to find. The Amazon is quite an amazing place. Still very wild, difficult to travel around with limited communication options.

We expect that we will meet up with Graham soon.

Thank you for all of your notes and encouragement.

Ross, Katherine and Blythe
  13. TongueLady

TongueLady Shine A Light

Oddometer:
    The latest from Graham's dad:

HI,

Cualquier noticia? Esta es la pregunta en la mente de los everyones. Lamentablemente no tenemos nada nuevo que informar. La gente está buscando y escuchando la palabra de Graham. Esperamos escuchar buenas noticias pronto.
    Katherine y yo, con la ayuda de un amigo hizo la semana pasada de vídeo. Se solicitó la ayuda de nadie en el Ecuador que hayan visto o sabe de Graham. Esta petición de ayuda será transmitido en la televisión la semana que viene.
    Gracias por su continuo apoyo. Esto significa mucho para nuestra familia.

Ross, Katherine y Blythe

HI,

Any News? This is the question on everyone's mind. Unfortunately we have nothing new to report. People are looking and listening for a word on Graham. We hope to hear some good news soon.
    Katherine and I, with the help of a close friend made a video last week. We requested help from anyone in Ecuador who may have seen or know of Graham. This request for help will be aired on TV this coming week.
    Thank you for your continued support. It means a great deal to our family.

Ross, Katherine and Blythe
  14. TongueLady

TongueLady Shine A Light

Oddometer:
    Sad news...the Ecuadorian police believe they have found Graham's body.

From Ross (his dad):

Hello to all our friends and family;

Katherine, Blythe and I want you to know the latest information we have heard from Ecuador.
    Today the Ecuadorian police found what they believe is Graham's body. It appears that he was murdered while camping in the province of Morona Santiago. While we have not had complete confirmation, the information we have to date supports this conclusion.
    We will keep you abreast of more information as soon as it is available.

Love to all,

Katherine, Blythe and Ross

Hola a todos nuestros amigos y familiares;

Katherine, Blythe, y quiero que usted sepa la información más reciente que hemos oído de Ecuador.
    Hoy en día la policía ecuatoriana encontró lo que ellos creen es el cuerpo de Graham. Parece que fue asesinado en el camping en la provincia de Morona Santiago. Aunque no hemos tenido la confirmación completa, la información que tenemos hasta la fecha apoya esta conclusión.
    Le mantendremos al tanto de más información tan pronto como esté disponible.

Amor a todos,

Katherine, Blythe y Ross

Also, from another friend:

I have some really sad and unfortunate news. I don't know if word has gotten back to everyone yet, but one of the main news channels here in Ecuador (Teleamazonas) reported tonight that they had recovered Graham's body. I didn't watch the news segment myself because I am currently in Peru until next week for work, but the sister of ...girlfriend who is Ibarreña told me about it. Apparently the Ecuadorian authorities have two suspects in custody on suspicion of foul play. I am really sorry to everyone out there, especially to the family and parents of Graham. At least we can take some solace in the fact that there is closure to the case, though I know that will do very little to alleviate the pain that they must be feeling right now. I went to school with Graham since middle school, and it was a pleasure to know such a great guy. I know he'll always be remembered for his numerous talents, as well as being a great friend and just all around as upstanding of a guy as any parent could hope from a son. If there's any way I can help out at this time feel free to let me know, I should be back in Quito this thursday and in Ibarra on Sunday.

My heart aches for Graham's family and friends, and I am keeping them all in my thoughts and prayers. I know there is nothing worse than the loss of a child, but I hope they can find closure and eventually peace knowing that Graham was doing what he loved.
    Rext In Peace, Graham.
    :cry

Thanks for your support and thanks to the mods for keeping this a sticky for the last few months.
  15. Nata Harli

Nata Harli Accidental Tourista

Oddometer:
    I'm really sorry to hear this news. My thoughts and prayers are with you and his family.
  16. TongueLady

TongueLady Shine A Light

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Nata Harli...and thanks again for posting that picture for me.
  17. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Wow, RIP Graham.
  18. brecchi

brecchi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very very sorry to hear this.
  19. LS650

LS650 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Geez, that's awful. I really feel for his family and friends - a guy goes off on a motorcycle adventure and never comes home...

I hope the police have a strong case against his killers and that justice is served.
  20. makinwaves

makinwaves Long timer

Oddometer:
    So very sorry to read this. :cry