Missing biker Ecuador

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by pictish, Apr 22, 2011.

1. luciosiq

luciosiq Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    http://www.ecuavisa.com/index.php?option=com_videos&task=view&id=18636&Itemid=124

This is a link from Ecuador EcuaVisa - Nightly News (07/31) - in spanish.
    Around minute 20 of the video, there is a report on the case.
    Apparently, the indians of that region thought Graham was an intruder or a drug dealer and decided to attack and murder him.

In my opinion, the story sounds very strange.
    They don't mention that Graham's credit card was used four times after he went missing, nor that his motorcycle was hidden by the murderers.

Take care.
  2. Eduardo

Eduardo Eduardo

Oddometer:
    Such a tragic story. It makes me a little anxious, since at least 3/4 of my travels in Central America I spend camping, and I also travel alone. However, I haven't had any problems in ten winters there, camping a total of about 2 1/2 years cumulative. I don't camp in too remote areas, and my jungle camping has been done with the guidance of my Mexican and Guatemalan friends, who are far more cautious about my welfare than I am. Buen amigos.

I'm planning my winter trip south now, and accounts of things that have happened to other riders, like this story and the one about the rider hitting a burro, all remain in my conscientious while traveling. Everytime I'd see a burro in the ditch or on the road I think about how dangerous some simple things really can be, and it raises my alertness level.

RIP Graham, I'll be thinking about you.
  3. gpothoven

gpothoven whatever

Oddometer:
  4. bananaman

bananaman transcontimental

Oddometer:
  5. Gentri in GA

Gentri in GA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed every other town other than their own (and mine!) is the one with thieving scoundrels! :lol3

I think luck of the draw is right. I traveled for a year from LA to Chile via van and then SA via bus many years ago... minor theft was the usual, but a 3 person group DID get robbed in Quito late at night... worst thing that happened to folks I met underway. Common sense and basic precautions come into play daily.

/RIP fellow traveler
  6. Bato

Bato Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :ear sad ...sorry to hear this
  7. gpothoven

gpothoven whatever

Oddometer:
  8. JourneyRider.com

JourneyRider.com Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was very sad to read about this. RIP Graham.

It definitely sounds like a case of extremely bad luck.

The problem with the roads in Latin America is that people use them 24/7. It is not like North America where we have an abundance of space. A few times, I remember picking what I thought was a secluded camping location and waking up in the morning with 20 people walking nearby.