Missing Rider - Sonoma County

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Dick, Sep 22, 2005.

1. BigT

BigT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    At least it finally got some new coverage tonight.... 'bout time.:pissed
  2. larryboy

larryboy Just obey!

Oddometer:
    still nothing? the one line where the boyfriend mentions that she has been depressed has me worried.
  3. Foto Veloce

Foto Veloce The Free Radical

Oddometer:
    It looks like this is the most active / updated thread on the search:

http://www.northbaysportriders.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2012&st=0

Still not found according to the threads I've read. There was mention of some leads but no details on what they might be.

2 weeks is a LONG time to be missing and it seems that credit cards etc. have not been used. Sad.. I do hope this turns out OK.
  4. Tiny

Tiny Wonky Eyed Bastard

Oddometer:
    Not only "still nothing", there hasn't been a speck of new info regarding her whereabouts. Vanished. Poof. I remain hopeful that she just freaked out and split. That would at least mean she was safe. I find the thought of a wreck where she could not be seen and helped to be unbareable.
    I've known Melinda for about 5 years. We wern't close friends but when she'd see me from across the patio at ZG, she'd always make an effort to come over and talk. She'd always lay a monster hug on me and then fill me in on the details of her latest travels which were alway amazing and packed with long miles. She is like that with everyone. If you are her friend, your friends are her friends. That's how she treats people. I bumped into a guy in Montana a few years ago who met her. She just kinda came up in casual conversation. "You know Melinda too!!??" Hell...EVERYONE knows Melinda. When I'm at ZG, I see her bounce from table to table saying "hi" to damn near everyone in the joint. I always marvel at her energy and her love of her friends and a good time. She is a special person. I've not met anyone else quite like her. She needs to come home. :cry
  5. markgsnw

markgsnw WTF?

Oddometer:
  6. nomiles

nomiles Sledge-o-matic

Oddometer:
    Friends mobilize widespread hunt

Web site helps motorcycle riders' round-the-clock search for Melinda Moore.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

By DEREK J. MOORE
    THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

Two women seated at a dining room table inside Melinda Moore's Santa Rosa home Monday juggled frequent calls on their cell phones with writing updates on laptop computers.

Strewn across the table were Bay Area maps and opened bags of Reese's peanut butter cups, fuel for Moore's weary friends as the search for the 40-year-old woman enters its second week.

Moore vanished last Monday after kissing her fiance goodbye and riding off on her motorcycle from the home the couple shares on Saddlehorn Court.

While missing person cases are fairly common, police say few generate the grass-roots coordination that has gone into the search for Moore, whose disappearance has drawn attention across the Bay Area.

Much of the credit belongs to her friends, including Emily Park of Oakland, who sat at Moore's dining room table Monday, logged onto www.northbaysportriders.com, a Web site for motorcycle enthusiasts that has proved essential in the search.

Through the Web site, Moore's friends have done what police say they aren't equipped to do, organizing searches on roads across a huge swath of the North Coast using teams of motorcycle riders and even an airplane.

"I think they're doing an outstanding job," Santa Rosa Police Sgt. Steve Bair said.

He said the Police Department takes numerous missing person reports every year, but few draw the attention Moore's has. He said the case also is unusual because Moore has no history of running off.

Police don't suspect foul play in her disappearance.

Despite the round-the-clock efforts of her friends, there was still no sign of Moore on Monday. Her fellow riders fear she may have crashed on a rural road. With each passing day, their concerns are magnified.

"It's hard to keep up that optimism," said Emily Wakeman, 25, who learned how to ride a motorcycle from Moore.

Known to her friends as "Big Red" because she stands 6 feet tall and has vibrant red hair, Moore left the house last Monday morning, ostensibly bound for a marketing class at Santa Rosa Junior College.

In hindsight, friends said it was odd that Moore wore her riding leathers when she left the house as opposed to more appropriate attire for class.

She also left behind her cell phone, school books and other essentials.

Police were still trying to confirm Monday that there had been no activity on her credit or debit cards since her disappearance.

Friends described Moore as an upbeat person. But she'd been depressed recently over some personal setbacks. Friends say it wouldn't be unlike her to ride off to clear her head. But they don't think she would deliberately harm herself.

"She would not have just disappeared," said Kim Davalos, who circulated fliers of Moore at gas stations while driving to Santa Rosa from Eugene, Ore., last week.

Park said all of Moore's favorite rides were "really dangerous" spots along twisty back roads near the Sonoma Coast.

But she said Moore would not take unnecessary risks, despite the fact her sport bike - a combination of a racing motorcycle and touring bike - could reach blistering speeds.

Using the Internet, Moore's friends organized two major searches for her last week. One was Thursday.

A second search on Saturday drew as many as 100 motorcycle riders from across the Bay Area and covered roads from Fort Ross to Mount Tamalpais.

Searchers also have gotten help from a private pilot.

Anyone with information is asked to phone police at 543-3590.

http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050927/NEWS/509270347/1033/NEWS01
  7. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    That is a fantastic ariticle. It really gives a good overview of what must be going on. I'm still hope'n she ran off for a few weeks to clear her head.
  8. rwynant

rwynant Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ladies and Gentlemen,

The San Diego forums are being updated as well with the most current info available.

Good luck folks, we all very concerned, and hope this turns out well.

Randy
    www.sundaysocialclub.com local
    www.dualsport-sd.com local
    www.zrxoa.org national/worldwide
    www.redhotriders.com local
  9. MaddBrit

MaddBrit Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer:
    Whammo (been travelling to AR with him) told me about this - I just got home.

Q. Is there anything practical I/we can do to help? I heard so many great things about her from Josh...

Tiny - let me know if I can help with anything please - K?

This sucks.
  10. sf_motogrrl

sf_motogrrl Where am I?

Oddometer:
    Just a reminder to everyone to keep their eyes, ears, and noses alert to anything out of the ordinary while riding the roads in these parts and others. The search isn't just limited to the north county area, there have also been active searches in the south and east bay area as well, especially focusing on the livermore area favorite roads. These are not roads that have been covered in as much detail as others. If your out riding - please do keep your eyes peeled for anything that looks or smells out of place.

I hear through the web-site and grapevine that and another mass search party is going to be going out on saturday or sunday. These are groups of riders and cars TOO, that ride roads seeing what they can from the edge and stop where visibility isn't good and those in trucks/cars can examine that area with special note -- contact www.findbigred.com to keep informed.

I live in the San Francisco area -- if any of your are traveling out of the area and would like to post flyers as gas stations and motorcycle related spots -- get in touch with me and I can arrange to share some flyers!!!

Paige
  11. Tiny

Tiny Wonky Eyed Bastard

Oddometer:
    Been in the paper everyday. Seems like there is a great group of folks doing all they can. I spent Sat. peeking over the sides of roads up here. That was really depressing. What else is there to do? Dunno.

12. Hedge36

Hedge36 My e-penis is huge.

Oddometer:
    Anybody know if there's an organized search on for this coming weekend? Hard to find out by thread surfing...
  13. nomiles

nomiles Sledge-o-matic

Oddometer:
    Very sad ending. :cry

From BARF.

Melinda Moore has been found.

Melinda Moore is no longer with us and has been found off of Hwy 1 by the Sonoma's Sheriff's Department Air unit.

There is no way she could have been seen from the roadway.

From her family and friends, they are so appreciative of all the help from fellow riders.

More info to follow soon.

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=137722

Grace and Peace to her family and friends.

RIP Melinda

[​IMG]
  14. gentry

gentry For Reasons Unknown...

Oddometer:
    I am very sorry to hear that.
    Rest In Peace.....
  15. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    I just got the news on the local channel expressing that a body was found just north of Ft Ross on Hwy 1 and a motorcycle matching the description.

What a terrible consequence for this wonderfull women, she will definetly be missed by many, I hope the very best for her family and very close friends :cry :cry :cry :cry

I'm gonna miss that women.......
  16. Dick

Dick Its a big old goofy world

Oddometer:
    Big sigh -

Sorry to hear about that - my thoughts are with family and friends
  17. MaddBrit

MaddBrit Now officially a Yank.

Oddometer:
    That is sooo horrible.

Josh (Whammo) who I rode to AR with told me what a great and well liked lady she was - i never met her but she sounded like someone who enjoyed life to the fullest.

My heart goes out to het family and friends.

Good luck in your new journey Melinda...

:cry :cry :cry :cry
  18. Tiny

Tiny Wonky Eyed Bastard

Oddometer:
    I consider myself lucky to have known her. She leaves a mark on many lives and I'll never forget her. I feel great sadness for her family and friends. Keep riding, Melinda. GO! GO GO!
  19. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    The loss of a young life is always so sad :cry

RIP
  20. misery goat

misery goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    RIP. Died doing what she loved.