Missoula Maladjusted

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Chains45, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Siorc

Siorc Tiger Shark Supporter

Oddometer:
    Your loss! :ksteve
  2. bradb3337

bradb3337 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So it's set the newest route?
    Are we all in agreement?
    James could you attach a gpx?
  3. Siorc

Oddometer:
    Yep I'll get one posted.
  4. sasho

sasho Dual Personality

Oddometer:
    OK :D
  5. Siorc

Oddometer:
    OK, here's the ride for this coming Labor Day weekend, Sunday-Monday September 1-2.

Sunday: EDIT - BREAKFAST AT LOLO PEAK BREWERY IN LOLO, 8:00 A.M.
    Meet for breakfast at 8:00 a.m. at LOLO PEAK BREWERY in Lolo. Or 9:00 at the Lolo Conoco if for some wacky reason you don't eat breakfast.
    Ride proceeds through the first part of Elk Meadows road, then cuts north, across highway 12 and proceeding to Fish Creek road, north to Williams Peak, northwest along the river a ways, across a ridge, then into Superior for fuel and food. From there west across the mountains into Idaho, and camp at Spruce Tree campground at the southern end of the St. Joe river road (or possibly camp at Heller Creek if we want to stop 14 miles sooner, or if there isn't space at Spruce Tree). Approx 160 miles.

Monday:
    Backtrack a little from Spruce Tree campground, then southeast through Idaho mountains all the way to Lochsa Lodge. 111 miles before there is any food or services. After that, time and willpower allowing, Elk Meadows road back to Lolo (or wimp out to the highway). Approx 170 miles.

Distance between fuel: 160 miles.

Google map here; gpx attached.

Attached Files:

Kinsman likes this.
  6. Mike Nesbihal

Mike Nesbihal Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m in! I got a friend that wants to fish the Big Hole Saturday so I’ll meet up with you guys for breakfast on Sunday .
    Siorc likes this.
  7. Captain Salmon

Captain Salmon Honda Africa Twin

Oddometer:
  8. bradb3337

bradb3337 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    see you at breakfast
    Siorc likes this.
  9. sasho

sasho Dual Personality

Oddometer:
    Kinsman and Mike Nesbihal like this.
  10. Mike Nesbihal

Oddometer:
    HungryHorseCamp.jpg

Trip report 8/24 - 8/27

Day 1: Hamilton to Hungry Horse. Met up with Chris in Lolo and Alex in Bonner. Dirt tracks we planned were closed to motorized vehicles so we took the highway up through Seeley and into Bigfork. Had lunch at the Flathead Brewery in Bigfork then headed to Hungry Horse. Found a campsite on the west side of the lake and got to enjoy watching some folks try to crawl up a steep rocky, boulder filled bank with a 2 wheel drive crossover of some variety.

Day 2: Hungry Horse to Logan Pass to Kintla Lake (AKA Going to the Storm): Left Hungry Horse under cloudy skies and stopped in town for gas. Rain started as we were finishing fueling so we hung out at the cafe for a few hours to let the storm pass. Headed into the west entrance to Glacier and as soon as we got our passes the rain started again. Rode up to Logan Pass visitor center in the freezing rain behind painfully slow tourist traffic. Thawed out for a minute at the top then headed down. About 1/2 way down the sun came out and the ride out of the park was nice. Planned to ride to Kintla Lake but it was already getting lake and was raining while traveling the dirt up to Pole Bridge. Found a bar about 5 miles south of Pole Bridge and had dinner. For $10 the bartender let up setup camp on the stage and porch.

Day 3: Pole Bridge to KooCanUSA: Stopped in Pole Bridge for breakfast. Rode up to Bowman Lake then head out across Trail Creek to Eureka. Rode up to the Hornet Lookout on the way to Trail Creek. After 70 miles in the dirt we came out on a paved forest road and encountered construction crews reinforcing the bank with soil nails and had to wait 2.5 hours to get through. Fueled up in Eureka and then headed to the west side of KooCanUSA. Found an awesome campsite complete with kitchen counters built off a couple trees near the fire ring. Made a fire, had a few beers and relaxed for the evening

Day 4: KooCanUSA to Hamilton: The KTM broke down, was able to push start it once and got to a location 20-30miles outside of Kalispel. Procured a 1 way uhaul so the KTM could get home then Alex and I made the ride. Got back to Hamilton around 11pm.

All in all an awesome trip, had a lot of fun, met some new and interesting people along the way and most importantly everyone made it home in one piece.

Link to Track: https://ridewithgps.com/trips/39211296
  11. Siorc

Oddometer:
    Other than the construction, how was Trail Creek? I've been curious about that route.

12. Mike Nesbihal

Oddometer:
    Pretty rocky but the Himalayan handled it well with the exception of a couple times the center stand caught a rock. No major hill climbs or anything too crazy just need to be on the ball to miss the bigger loose rocks, downed trees poking into the trail and some good sized mud hole.

Some nice scenery if you like looking around plus I really like that part of Montana. Hope to make it back up that way before the snow flies. Might just take the bike up in the truck and setup a weekend base camp.
  13. sasho

sasho Dual Personality

Oddometer:
    I've lost my fillings there. :eek7
  14. Mike Nesbihal

Oddometer:
    I didn’t think it was that bad. Maybe I’m just used to getting banged around driving the F350 with no load. That’s rough riding on the smoothest roads.
  15. sasho

sasho Dual Personality

Oddometer:
    Think of it Lolo motorway bouncy.
    Kinsman likes this.
  16. Siorc

Oddometer:
    Sounds like my kind of crazy.
  17. Kinsman

Kinsman Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer:
    Trail creek is awesome.
    Going West to East you get tantalizing views of peaks in the park. There are big piles of debris where avalanches terminated. Recommend.

20190826_145816.jpg
    20190826_144352.jpg
  18. Kinsman

Kinsman Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer:
    One of the highlights of the trip for me was during a side trip to Bowman Lake. On the way back down that fun road, a mountain lion crossed the road about 30 yards in front of me.

Stopped and looked at me, then trotted into the woods. That thing was huge. Its tail seemed as big as my arm. I was just blown away by how big and powerful that cat was.
    sasho, Mike Nesbihal and Siorc like this.
  19. sasho

sasho Dual Personality

Oddometer:
    At the gate closure not far from Hwy 200 and 83:

[​IMG]
    Kinsman and Mike Nesbihal like this.
  20. rlbruski

rlbruski Explorer

Oddometer:
    It was great meeting a bunch of you for breakfast at the brewery before your weekend ride. Have fun! Ride safe!
    Kinsman likes this.