Missoula Maladjusted

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Chains45, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Siorc

Siorc Tiger Shark Supporter

Oddometer:
    Plan is for gas up in Darby prior to Magruder.
    How about Missoula riders leave from Walmart at south end of town at 8:30 (it was pretty chilly earlier than that this morning).
    Then meet up with anyone else at Darby Cenex at approx 9:45, depart for Magruder by 10:00.

It will be interesting to hear your comparison of Magruder on 1090 vs 640. I think overall the 640 is the better choice for this ride. I didn't ride the Motorway last year, but in the couple years prior to that it was degrading. Last time I rode it, conditions were such that I could have done it on my Tiger 800, but I was riding solo and glad to be on a smaller bike.
    Jimr80gs likes this.
  2. Junglegeorge

Junglegeorge Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. Junglegeorge

Junglegeorge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good deal, I get to sleep in tomorrow. Cenex is now a Conoco store. See everyone tomorrow.
    Siorc likes this.
  4. philthyphil

philthyphil Nomad

Oddometer:
    Another local 1090... we should get together. What side of town are you on?
  5. Junglegeorge

Junglegeorge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not really local, located in Darby. Still can do some riding though.
  6. Clewis&Lark

Clewis&Lark I'd rather paddle downstream.

Oddometer:
    Sorry, Junglegeorge, that you weren't able to join in. We'll shoot for another ride.

Magruder was fine -- hot and dusty, and lots of burned forest. Just past Burnt Knob we hit a wall of smoke from the fire (see photo). It was north of the road somewhere up the Red River, but close enough. Headed west from Elk City to Kooskia on the wagon road. This was a delightful ride (see photo). The road was converted by settlers from a Nez Perce trail.

Siorc headed north to the Lolo Motorway (he may still be up there -- Ack!). I headed east up Hwy 12.

IMG_3633.JPG IMG_3636.JPG
  7. Junglegeorge

Junglegeorge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was really looking forward to going. Drained the fuel and pulled the tank and flushed. Filled it up and it started just fine. Going to add inline filter this week. Hope we can get together for another ride sometime.
  8. Kinsman

Kinsman Ribs....for her pleasure

Oddometer:
    Glad you had a good ride.
    Hope siorc made it out okay.
    LC1 likes this.
  9. Siorc

Oddometer:
    Lolo Motorway road status and ride report.

I rode the Motorway eastward yesterday, Labor Day 2020, starting a few miles east of Lolo Creek campground (the one in Idaho, south of Pierce).

I hadn't previously ridden the westermost section of 500, west of Canyon Junction. It was good; curvy, loose gravel, fairly typical FS road, not particularly challenging. Also worth noting is that the paved road getting to Lolo Creek campground from the west is pretty amazing. And Kidder Ridge that connects to Kooskia is also a really fun road. The campground is fine, and there were decent spots available Saturday afternoon of Labor Day weekend (although I found a nicer spot on the stream a little further east). Overall, I liked this route to the west end of the Motorway better than the road south from Canyon Junction to the highway.

IMG_20200906_163545749.jpg

The first few miles just north/east of Canyon junction is one of my favorite sections, and it was in great shape. Narrow road, potholes and ruts to dodge, fun tight curves, and without the deep dust that I've encountered there before. The IDBDR route skips this part, which is a shame.

East of that, starting at around Beaver Dam saddle, was an approx 10 miles stretch of freshly graded and widened road. Looks like they are improving the road all the way to the 107 connector down to highway 12, which I interpret from the new culverts lined up through the whole stretch. The part that's done is still loose and sandy, but overall very smooth, and mostly two lanes wide. Not a single rock to be seen on Rocky Ridge anymore. Once the sand settles down with some rain (might already be there), this will be a perfect road for riding 2-up on a GS, or taking the family for a picnic in a Subaru, or maybe even a minivan. RIP Lolo Motorway; after they finish this project there won't be much challenge west of 107. :cry

I started encountering some environmental hazards after I got through the graded section, still west of 107. A big blast of wind appeared to have gone through before me, although it was also plenty windy while I was riding. I came across this:

IMG_20200907_114620809.jpg

And I was glad to be on a small bike, just knocked off some branches and I was good to go:

IMG_20200907_115206937_HDR.jpg

If I'd been solo on my Tiger 800, I would have turned around. And if it was multiple riders with one or more bigger bikes (i.e. if Clewis&Lark had been with me at this point), we would have had to discuss whether to turn around, or remove windshield and mirrors to get the big bike through, or maybe try laying it down and dragging it through. . . . and if we had pushed through, then we would have had to repeat that discussion for the next downed tree, that I snuck my bike under just two turns later (no pics because I was getting nervous about the weather and wanted to keep moving). The wise choice for me probably would have been to turn back. However, it was a long way to go back, not fuel-concern long with my 200+ mile range, but it would have made for a very, very long day. Luckily for me, that first downed tree was actually the worst. I'm not sure how many trees I ended up going under, over, and around, I think maybe a dozen. I stopped counting carefully after the snow was sticking to the road.

Oh, did I mention snow? I rode for about 2 hours in a snow storm. It got pretty heavy between 107 and Powell Junction, and actually stuck to the road, which surprised me. It was very slow going, mostly because it's not so easy to see when the faceshield is both coated with snow on the outside, and fogged up on the inside. And crossing logs is more interesting when they are covered with snow. I never went down, but I had a few interesting moments. Again, little bike for the win.

As I approached Powell Junction, I encountered a group of three riders on big bikes getting started on the Motorway. I was just getting out of where the snow was sticking. I doubt they knew what they were getting into. Couldn't really stop to warn them because we passed each other on a fairly loose and steep section. Hope those guys are OK, but I figure with three of them at least one should be able to get out.

Other than the storm and downed trees, and unexpected graded section, the Motorway was about as I expected. Enough loose and rocky and off-camber and exposed to keep it interesting. Hasn't degraded much since I last rode it two years ago, but hasn't gotten any better either (other than the newly graded part). Certainly do-able on a big bike, but with some challenging parts that might push limits and/or cause stress on the more loose + exposed sections. More fun on a little bike for me (especially solo).

I had originally planned to continue east from Powell junction on 109, but it looked muddy and I figured I had already pushed my luck with downed trees. So I cut down parachute hill, then rode the highway home, with a nice chilly rain to keep me company most of the way.

Overall, it was a thoroughly enjoyable adventure. :ricky
  10. Junglegeorge

Junglegeorge Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad you made it back ok, I was concerned with the high winds we had.
    Siorc likes this.
  11. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    They were working on trimming brush on Parachute when I stayed at Powell C.G. and headed to Corvallis last June....
    The views from those roads are quite swell!...I keep forgetting the name of the fire look-out up there....It does have a wheel-barrow mounted..
  12. Kinsman

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the report. Glad you made it back out with no issues; I knew weather was going to be a factor.

Sorry to hear that they are "improving" the road.
    LC1 and Siorc like this.
  13. Pdrhound

Pdrhound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    so im planning a western montana and idaho panhandle trip for next year. Google says 5.5 hours from Elk city to the top of the pass. that seems right?. is it doable with tenere loaded for camping? i have a handful of google links id love to have someone more local take a look at. feel free to PM me. thanks
  14. Kinsman

Oddometer:
    Six hours is about right.
    Watch out for side-by-sides on blind corners.
  15. Siorc

Oddometer:
    On Magruder? You could do it in 4 hours if you wanted to. The road was in great condition this past weekend; we saw several Subarus and a minivan out in the middle of it. But make sure it's clear of snow before you go. Late July is your best bet (after snow, before fires).

Or if highway to Lolo Pass, Google is probably about right, if you're sticking with the speed limit.
  16. Captain Salmon

Captain Salmon Honda Africa Twin

Oddometer:
    I remember the last time you took off the windshield and mirrors and a whole lot more stuff off that Tiger. Maybe just carry a saw.
    https://nextadventure.net/texsport-...hFACeD7V5f_evegs1kgz4bbZOpm_6IPRoCqvQQAvD_BwE

Attached Files:

LC1 and Siorc like this.
  17. Clewis&Lark

Clewis&Lark I'd rather paddle downstream.

Oddometer:
    Good to read your update, Siorc. Sounds like way more of an adventure than my ride home -- sunny and in the mid-80s. I'll have to give the Motorway a whirl next summer. I'm already looking forward to it.
  18. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    near the Yellowstone Dutton ranch?

upload_2020-9-10_16-36-29.png
  19. Siorc

Oddometer:
    Gravellies and Beartooth/Chief Joseph, Sept. 17-20

Anyone interested in joining me? First section is freeway just to get the miles in, then a lot of pavement for Beartooth/Chief Joseph, so bigger bikes favored.
    Oldschoolrocker likes this.
  20. Mike Nesbihal

Mike Nesbihal Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like fun! Hopefully I can get a ride in before the snow flies. Just got released from the damn walking boot today. Gimping around at work, trying to remember how to use my left foot after so long in the boot.
    Shady Pass David likes this.