Missoula Maladjusted

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Chains45, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Chains45

Chains45 Wait.... what?

Oddometer:
    Wife informs me we are going to the Root Festival Saturday, which is fine as I already agreed. How about Sunday?
  2. MTBXR

MTBXR Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just in case there is doubt that Missoulians don't ride, I thought I would do a little trip report.

Had Monday off and decided to ride Hoodoo Pass (Superior) to Hwy 12 (come by the Lochsa Lodge). About 240 miles round trip from Missoula with about 120 miles on Dirt. I didn't realize how much country there is between the 2 highways!:eek1 But a great trip, one which would be more fun with company. I would post some pics, however I seem to be inept in linking the pics. So you will have to take my word that the views and riding is worth it.

As fall approaches I will have more time for riding so let me know it you are looking for a riding partner!
  3. jjmyzrider

jjmyzrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do any of you guys in the area have any info or experience riding the Lolo Motor Way? Speedster and myself will be taking that route on Sept 10th on our way to the KTM ralley. We are wondering if there is any good camping along the trail, and how long will it take to go through it? If any of you have any information, it would be helpful for our ride.

Thanks
  4. Chains45

Chains45 Wait.... what?

Oddometer:
    Did about 40 miles of it last fall, just basically your standard Forest Service roads, the trick is staying on the right ones. Some of the steeper parts can be badly washed out, especially considering the wet summer we have had, but they go through and fix various parts of that time to time. If I remember it is somewhere around 100 miles total, and at the 15-25 mph you can safely travel most FS roads, that will be 5-7 hrs. The neat thing is if you find you are taking too long, you can jump off and get on Hwy 12 at various places for the entire length. I do not remember any formal camping sites on the section I was on, but a lot of places you could camp in if you did not need a campfire. Check with the Ranger Station about campfires, and definitely get a FS map of the area, they are not 100% accurate, but better than just about anything else.

Since this year has been a bust for fires, there have been a lot of fire crews out doing trail work, and they may still be out there for another week, so be aware that there may be people on the road.
  5. Chains45

Chains45 Wait.... what?

Oddometer:
    So, anyone up for a ride Sunday? Looks like rain is likely which may limit forest access for those of us running DS tires. But willing to try anything if I am not alone.
  6. montanaGS

montanaGS sig sputnik

Oddometer:
    I was on it about 3 weeks ago. Coming from Missoula, your camping would be close to the end of the trail (there are a bunch of threads for the motorway, including suggested campsites - you can pull of almost anywhere - I saw several semi-established campsites). I did half of it in an afternoon, but there are some turnoffs (the something lookout after the Indian Post Office) that I didn't have time for that would make it a perfect overnight expedition.

Once you're on it, you really can't get lost all of the way to Kamiah (I forgot to get a map and just used my GPS). I was on a GSA with TKC 80's and got a little concerned about flats because there are loose jagged rocks all of the way. So, I would be prepared for that contingency.

A fantastic route.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r1/clearwater/LewisClark/Assets/driving_lolom.pdf
  7. Speedster

Speedster Gizmo Slut

Oddometer:
    MTGS,

Thanks for the info. JJM is on a KTM 620 with knobbies, I'll be on a Dakar with 606 knobbies, so we should be fine. I'm glad to hear it is a little rough. It should be fun.

Is it true there are places to cut back over to the highway, or once your on it, are you on it until the end?

We are leaving Helena about 1 pm on Thursday and taking the interstate to Missoula, so I am curious if you think we will make it all the way over or if you think we will be tenting it along the Motorway? We are both accomplished off-roaders/MXers, so we should be able to cruise along pretty good. It is getting dark earlier, but I would like to make it all the way over. Either way is cool with me though!
  8. Putts

Putts Gettin' there.

Oddometer:
    Well, now I've gone and done it!

Over many brewskis in my back yard we've mulled over the idea of a Montana Ralley. Last weekend, on the top of a mountain, Brad, Dan, and I threw a stake in the ground, and said it should be done.

And so it is. :ricky

Locals can help plan here.

Riders sign up here.

Let's get busy. Hope you can make it!
  9. Chains45

Chains45 Wait.... what?

Oddometer:
    For those of you that may have been sleeping or otherwise engaged and missed the excitement of the last few days, we (MT inmates) have collectively gone off our rockers and agreed to host not just the 2010 WestFest, but also a 1000 mile ride preceding it.

Please check in with Putts' links above and put in your .02 - all help appreciated and greatly needed.
  10. seanohal

seanohal n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm new here. I ride all over the Missoula area and on the res.

Wish I would have found this forum earlier this year.
  11. Chains45

Chains45 Wait.... what?

Oddometer:
    Well you have a lot of catching up to do, I find myself still exploring this forum after 1-1/2 years.

Welcome!! Any questions don't be shy.
  12. Beartooth

Beartooth Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dang! We never got out and road. Who's still riding their bikes in the cold? This is about the time of year when the tarp goes over it. Although I bet we get a couple of nice weekends in November.
  13. Chains45

Chains45 Wait.... what?

Oddometer:
    I hope to ride till the road to my place ices up, then will trailer the bike down to the valley on really nice days till it thaws. Wimped out this morning, used the excuse that I had some things to carry in that would not fit on the bike.

Dang, 20F can be chilly though...
  14. seanohal

seanohal n00b

Oddometer:
    It's a nice day for a ride if you don't go over 45.
  15. Corky1

Corky1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    <style></style>Frozen Carburetor - Humor :-)

In the fun world of the administration of justice, not all the laughs are in the court-room. Indeed, giggles and guffaws can erupt at almost any time or place. For example: On a bitterly cold winter's day several years ago in northern British Columbia, a RCMP constable on patrol came across a motorcyclist, who was swathed
    in protective clothing and helmet, stalled by the roadside. "What's the matter?" asked the policeman.

"Carburetor's frozen," was the terse reply.
    "Pee on it. That'll thaw it out," said the constable.

"Can't," replied the motorcyclist.

"OK, Watch me and I will show you."

The constable demonstrated by lubricating the carburetor, as promised. The bike started and the rider drove off, waving.

A few days later, the detachment office received a note of thanks from the father of the motorbike rider.

It began: "On behalf of my daughter, who recently was stranded ...."

Stay warm,

Corky:ksteve:ksteve

16. seanohal

seanohal n00b

Oddometer:
    If anyone finds a pair of mirrors on Dead Man Ridge trail on Blue Mountain, they're mine.
  17. drdirty

drdirty Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hope that Stone's closing dosen't hurt any ADV members here:cry
    I lived in Missoula for 14 and a half years, and left there in 1998. I knew several great people who were employed there, some have already retired.
    How sad to see this happen. Of course it was talked about for years, but to see it really happening is so depressing.
    I went though that nightmare before with the lumber industry. Thank God for my Retail Meat Cutting experience, as it has come in handy several times. But alot of jobs will be lost with the trickel down effect.
    If any body here is affected or know of someone who is, I wish the best of luck. Keep a positive attitude and be flexible.

Anyway, prayers will be sent from DRdirty from Harlowton:(:
  18. Chains45

Chains45 Wait.... what?

Oddometer:
    I live in Frenchtown, and as far as I know none of my Stone employed friends are riders. Stone's closing will be a huge blow to the community as it is by far the largest employer in the area and will have a heavy affect on our economy.

Glad I was not going to try to sell my house any time soon.....
  19. MTADVENTURER

MTADVENTURER n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm a Smurfit-Stone employee of 32 years ~ seems like I should know you CHAINS45, you live in Frenchtown and are associated with the fire dept ? I facilitated the land donation to Frenchtown Rural Fire a few years back, we donated 2 acres to you on Mullan Road near our mill. I ride the Frenchtown, 9 Mile, Alberton, Fish Creek, Lolo Creek, Tarkio areas a fair amount. Lets hook up this spring, I'll have a lot more riding time when the mill closes. I'm on a Dakar most of the time.
  20. Chains45

Chains45 Wait.... what?

Oddometer:
    That would be excellent! Been wanting to find someone to ride with. :thumb I think I have seen your bike parked in the employees lot as I drive past. Other than training and calls I have not had a lot to do with the mill, and was not part of the group that discussed the land deal.

Prayers with you and fellow Stone employees, this has got to be the shits.