Missouri Adventure Loop

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by ajayhawkfan, Jun 10, 2019.

1. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    Very cool.

General Price's 1864 raid started in Arkansas with the intent of hitting St. Louis. He was delayed at Fort Davidson (an earthen fort and museum worth visiting) giving time for St. Louis to prepare defenses. Price turned towards Hermann and then west. Price got whipped in Westport and Mind Creek (mentioned earlier in this RR) and fought a rear guard battle in Newtonia (mentioned earlier). I have considered retracing Price's '64 raid and may still do it.
  2. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    I hope to finish this report next week. I'm taking off for a weekend ride now.

Thanks for following along so far.
    jdfog2, LSGiant and Cannonshot like this.
  3. buckaroo23

buckaroo23 n00b

Oddometer:
    Great ride report. I have ridden in SW Missouri and it is a beautiful place with great roads and people. I look forward to your track post as I would love to take this ride. Thanks for all your work on this report and it's development.
  4. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    Thank you. Here are the tracks. https://advrider.com/f/threads/missouri-adventure-loop.1390061/
    severely likes this.
  5. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shhh ! ;)
  6. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great RR! I hope you are getting better weather on your weekend ride than we are getting here in St Louis. I’ll definitely follow these tracks. It’s funny, I’ve spent so much time in almost every place you’ve described so far, but haven’t seen any of these places. Retiring in 6 weeks, maybe then I’ll slow down and see what I’ve been missing. BigDog has most every mill in Missouri waypointed. I followed one of his tracks several years ago when I went down to Blue Eye. (My parents lived not far from there on tablerock lake)
    You guys should share waypoints, if you haven’t. It was a very interesting ride.
    Looking forward to the rest of the trip. Thanks for posting. (My college loyalty stayed with MU, even though I sent a lot of tuition money to Arkansas and Lindenwood Univ. I did have one go to Mizzou, it was the most expensive!)
  7. mreeter

mreeter n00b

Oddometer:
    I've lived in Missouri my entire life, and haven't visited/traveled a third of this journey. A most excellent Ride Report on some of the most beautiful places there is in this great Country!
  8. BadBrett

BadBrett Son of a Combat Veteran

Oddometer:
    From a guy that lives in NE Arkansas this is a perfect ride report and so close to home for me. Thanks for sharing this!
  9. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    Had a few friend at my place to ride trails.

IMG_4672.jpg
  10. MizzouRider

Oddometer:
    Just a few! Nice place. Almost looks like it should be in the Ozarks instead of KC? Or is it?
  11. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    It is near Blue Mound, KS.
  12. MizzouRider

Oddometer:
    Beautiful place. It was the clear water that made me think Ozarks. I spend too much time in northern MO. Not so many clear water creeks up there. Especially this year. Rain, rain, rain..
    jdfog2 likes this.
  13. OdyBandit

OdyBandit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing this. I live in Illinois but have lots of family in Palmyra Mo area. I’ve been looking for trips within a days ride back home if something happens as I farm and have livestock. Am also a history buff.
  14. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    Thank you. I have a lot of fun down there, riding, hunting, fishing, checking cattle or enjoying a walk through the fields. Normally the creek is pretty muddy. Yesterday after 2 inches of rain it was roaring and had the color of chocolate milk.

You are welcome. Thanks for checking it out.
  15. Cow Boy Brad

Cow Boy Brad brad1098

Oddometer:
    As everyone else has said, great stuff right here in our backyard.

Get over this way again, lets do lunch. . . Chester bridge is back open after being closed for 15 days.
  16. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    Hermann To Hannibal

[​IMG]

Hannibal to Athens

[​IMG]

After a good breakfast at Harbor Haus we headed across the river to a road well known to the local dual sport riders called Lost Creek Road. Lost creek has a number of water crossing. It is always a fun road. However, Mike and I couldn't take it on this trip because Lost Creek was flooded. These pictures are from a previous trips.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Followed by lost of canopy covered roads:

[​IMG]

This route has a number of crossing. We had to work around all because they were similar to this. The water is always muddy. Use caution when crossing.

[​IMG]

A few miles before Louisiana, MO is this marker.

[​IMG]

After discovering the place I had to do some research. The fort was build for protection because the English were inciting the local Sac and Fox tribes preparing for war (War of 1812). The local took turns farming the area and guarding he farmers. There were no problems until a father and son were shot coming from the fields in March 30, 1813. The residents believed the English or French gave the guns to the Indians. https://books.google.com/books?id=pJFfcJtFdaUC&pg=PA513&lpg=PA513&dq=buffalo+fort+missouri&source=bl&ots=ZglHGWGQ1C&sig=ACfU3U0SC7_HGnWeocM986A6zgpxt9uNNA&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwijlfyj04LjAhURXKwKHUr7CGQQ6AEwCHoECBMQAQ#v=onepage&q=buffalo fort missouri&f=false

[​IMG]

High water at the RR bridge south of Louisiana.

[​IMG]

The Mississippi River at the taken from Riverview Park on a bluff overlooking the river. The RR bridge in both the pictures below is the same bridge above. No river traffic at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From Louisiana north of Hannibal is along Highway 79. It is a beautiful highway with lots of curves and elevation changes. It also has a number of scenic overviews. We did have one work around but there should not be the same problem in the future:

[​IMG]

In Hannibal someone was looking out for Mark Twain. It could not be an ADV rider because we believe in Safety Third.

[​IMG]

We ate lunch at a new place called Riverside Inn, 111 Bird Street. They opened just a few weeks before we stopped. I can recommend the pork tenderloin. They are breaded and then cooked to order, FANTASTIC!

[​IMG]

From Hannibal to Athens the route follows numerous gravel roads to the Battle of Athens State Park. The battle was August 5 1861only 3 months 24 days after the firing on Fort Sumner. It is the northern most Civil War Battle west of the Mississippi. Cannon balls from the battle landed across the Des Moines River in Iowa. Notice the size of the town. At the time there were over 50 business' and a large mill to serve the area. Today there are about 5 or 6 buildings left.

[​IMG]

The town was occupied by Union forces. The pro-Southern Missouri State guard wanted to seize the importation town for the Confederacy and attached although outnumbered 3-1 and emerged victorious.

With the coming of the railroads and less shipping on the rivers the town declined to a virtual ghost town. In 1922 the post office was closed. The few remaining residents in 1962 worked together to make it a park that was then donated to the State of MO in 1975.

[​IMG]

On the left side of the door on the right is a dark hole in a square. That is a cannon ball hole that passed through the house not hurting anyone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hermann to Athens is 215 miles. There is camping (with showers) at the Battle of Athens State Park. There is the simple, clean Welcome Inn Kahoka (http://www.welcomeinnkahoka.com/) that is a few miles south of the battlefield. North of the battlefield is the Bonaparte Motel in Bonaparte, Iowa (https://bonaparteinn.ca/) Of course there are plenty of places in Hannibal and Quincy, IL.
    KiloGraham likes this.
  17. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    Thanks Brad.

Getting together again for lunch sounds great. If you get this way we can meeting for dinner and stay at the cabin. It is located NW of Nevada, MO.
  18. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    BigDog and I have shared waypoints in the past. If I remember correctly, he got the mills and springs from me and I got a lot of great water crossing from him.
  19. Cow Boy Brad

Cow Boy Brad brad1098

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the Big Dog and myself need to ride that way this fall and stop by Nee Vay Duh for a visit.
  20. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    That would be great! I have the room.
    Cow Boy Brad likes this.