Missouri Adventure Loop

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by ajayhawkfan, Jun 10, 2019.

1. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    Yeh----------but, the last 12 times I was at Brad's house---------his bike was on a lift in quite a few pieces. :lol3
    Not sure if it was still coming apart-------or going back together ?????

I was by not long ago Brad--------I think you were hiding from me. I was scoping out if my motorhome could get to your house--------------nope-------you've got to cut some limbs. Miss Dog has to be "comfy".

BigDog
    ajayhawkfan likes this.
  2. Cow Boy Brad

Cow Boy Brad brad1098

Oddometer:
    Miss Dog must have ordered a big rig, good for her. Come on by, I have a pole saw.

El Tigre is up and roaring, better than never.
  3. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    Athens to Powersite, halfway across northern Missouri

[​IMG]

We didn't take as many pictures in norther Missouri because the route is much more rural and doesn't have as many historic structures out in the country. That does not mean is it not beautiful with wonderful roads. Northern Missouri is very scenic and if you have not ridden the area in the past you are missing some of the best roads and scenery. In general the roads are well maintained. The dirt roads, no gravel, can be a handful on a big bike. When Mike and I rode this area the roads were more technical than southern Missouri because of the mud and ruts.

The route takes you to Memphis Missouri to see the Barnett Monument or better known as the "Soldier in the Field". It use to be on a country road about 6 miles south of town. In 2009 this is what it looked like:

[​IMG]

Sometime after I visited the monument vandals cut off the head of the soldier. I sent many people to see the monument because of its unique location and message and to have it vandalized still makes me angry and sad.

Thankfully, the citizens of Memphis asked the landowner and got permission to remove the statue, restore it and place it on the grounds of the city's museum!

[​IMG]

The inscriptions are moving and hope you think they are worth posting.

Front:

[​IMG]

Right Side:

[​IMG]

Back:

[​IMG]

Left side:

[​IMG]

What is left at the original location (along the route):

[​IMG]

This area the roads can be gravel or dirt. The dirt roads are no problem if dry but can be tough if wet.

This road went from gravel to gravel/dirt to dirt in about 1/2 mile.

[​IMG]

In the pictured behind Mike were mud filled ruts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On higher ground the dirt roads dried out quickly.

[​IMG]

Athens to Powersite: 135 miles. I know of no services at Powersite. A few miles before Powersite is Unionville with a small motel. The route is only 135 miles however we went well over 200 because of the backtracking done because of flooding. @Get_Bent and I decided to run up to Centerville, Iowa for the night. There are numerous places to stay and eat.
    KiloGraham, MizzouRider and Nick MN like this.
  4. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am gonna use this thread as a rough guide for my riding next week. Assuming the weather will be ok for it I plan to head down early next week and check some of these sites out on my Wee Strom. IF the weather is not going to be very nice I might head north to Michigan or Wisconsin - guess I better check into those and what sites there are to see as well - just in case. But those are my secondary and teritiary options. I am sold on ol Missouri for now (and maybe extend that to Oklahoma to visit friends for a day as well)

SO if you see a tall, slightly paunchy, old guy in glasses on a white DL650 with an Italian "Tricolore" pattern Aria Helment on. It's me. Wave dadgumit! :)
    JD
  5. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    I hope you enjoy the route. The southern part is great but don't overlook the north.

I was looking at riding Michigan next week. Projected rain had me change plans.
    jdfog2 likes this.
  6. jdfog2

jdfog2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good luck wherever you go!
    I was thinking of making "Licking" (Montauk State Park) my center of operations and fishing in the a.m (or evening) and riding the other parts of the day. Maybe one day south on 63, the 2nd day wAndering around based on your thread, the 3rd day going on 63 north and seeing where I ended up then staying the night someplace and head back to Indiana the next day.
    But we'll see. Heck - Montauk may be full next week. Have to check that out first I guess.
  7. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    Powersite to Mound City

[​IMG]

Riding along the ridges around Mercer have very nice vistas of the rolling hills of the Great Plains. It is a shame pictures flatten everything out (or my limited skills do).

[​IMG]

Pretty 1913 Church that is still in use and open:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Like the earlier section this section has beautiful roads that can be challenging if they are wet. However there is always a way around the dirt/mud sections. I had to turn around here, the crossing was too deep but it was a fun road up to that point.

[​IMG]

Overlooking the Grand River

[​IMG]

Along this section is the Benedictine Convent of Perpetual Adoration. The 5 sisters from the Swiss Alps founded the Monastery in 1874 because at a time Catholic socialites in Europe felt threatened.

[​IMG]

The chapel was consecrated in 1911. Follow the signs from the parking lot near the watertower to chapel. Non-Catholics won't burst into flames if you go inside, so I have been told.

[​IMG]

The nuns came to NW Missouri at the at the request of the monk that settled in the area in 1873 to minister to the spirital needs of a colony of German and Irish settlers in 1858. Like the nuns the monks that founded the Abbey were Swiss. The Abbey was completed on Dec. 8th 1873.

1908 postcard:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The cemetery at the Abbey:

[​IMG]

The leader of the original Irish colony to the area:

[​IMG]

Powersville to Mound City is 141 miles. Near Bigelow is Big Lakes State Park with camping with a pool. Check before planning on camping there because of the flooding. It might be closed. There are a couple motels in Mound City or Maryville (not far from the Abbey).
    KiloGraham and MizzouRider like this.
  8. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    If you go to Montauk make sure you check out Bo's Hollow. 37°25'22.4"N 91°41'04.5"W. You can get to it from the park. https://www.bohollow.com/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Montauk is always booked way ahead, but mid-week I've always been able to get a non-reserveable site. But over the 4th of July IDK.
  10. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter

Oddometer:
    For $10 each at Bo's Hollow you'll get a sack lunch and a ride in the rumble seat of an old Ford Model A down to Ashley creek where he'll leave you 2 love birds alone. Pretty romantic----even for an old guy.
    BigDog
  11. LeeSch

LeeSch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hope there is a special place in Hell for people who deface monuments/statues/memorials/graves.

Great ride report. Thank you for sharing all these interesting waypoints and sights to see.
    BadBrett, severely and ajayhawkfan like this.
  12. LSGiant

LSGiant Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been there done that. When we were down in that area last September he had just had a heart attack earlier in the month. I believe the word was he was recovering. I hope that turned out to be true. It was a very unique spot.
    MizzouRider and ajayhawkfan like this.
  13. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    Mound City to Higginsville, Final Segment

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Once you leave Mound City you'll be entering into the Loess Hill. The Loess Hills start north of KC and run along the Missouri River to an area north of Sioux City, Iowa (Loess Hills National Scenic Byway is a route I highly recommend. It has a lot of beautiful scenery and is both blacktop and gravel). The route from Mound City to Amazonia is a lot of fun with gravel and dirt roads. The route also run along the top of Missouri River levy. When I started ADV riding this is the area I rode to practice because of the challenges it presented.

Notice the blue arrow on the first map. It points to railroad tracks (Highway 111). The tracks divide the hills from the Missouri River valley. You can see part of the route crosses the tracks into to valley. That section is on a levy.

In the Loess Hills some of the roads cut right through the hills:

[​IMG]

This area had some muddy holes but most of the time solid footings. I did notice there were no tracks on this road after passing the last house:

[​IMG]

Miles later I see why. @Get_Bent had left earlier in the day to ride home to me. I could have used his muscles:

[​IMG]

There has been a lot of rain and flooding in this area of Missouri as well causing problems for cars and trucks, not a problem here for me.

[​IMG]

However, getting to ride on the Missouri River Levies were a problem:

[​IMG]

Every detour I took was underwater:

[​IMG]

I ended up going back into the hills to get around it.

From Amazonia the route goes through nice rural rolling country with pretty farm and ranches.

You will cross the Missouri River at Lexington. During the Civil war there were two battles here. The First Battle of Lexington, also know as the Battle of the Hemp Bales or The Siege of Lexington took place Sept. 12 to 20, 1861. Missouri stayed in the Union however Lexington was pro-southern with many residents owing slaves. 3500 Union troop occupied the area in and around the town. On Sept. 12, 15,000 Confederates troops began attacking the union, surrounding them in their fortification. Instead of continuing to attack the Confederate General Price decided to wait for his supply wagons to arrive with additional ammunition, supplies and reinforcements. On Sept. 19 the Confederates resumed the attach. That night the Confederates soaked hemp bales in water and the following day used them as a mobile breastworks, rolling them until they were close enough to the Union troops for a final rush.

[​IMG]

The Union Commander asked for terms and surrendered at 2:00.

General Price had his headquarters on the second floor of a bank building a not far from the county courthouse. On the 20th a cannonball was fired and hit the courthouse. It is not know if they were firing at the headquarters. The cannonball is there today.

[​IMG]

The aftermath of First Battle of Lexington was the Confederacy controlled the upper part of the Missouri for the time being and bolstered Southern sympathy in the area.

There was a Second Battle of Lexington on Oct. 19, 1864. It was part of Prices Raid into Missouri. This was more of a minor skirmish. This was a victory for Price but it led to his ultimate defeat in Westport. (Prices raid had been mentioned a number of time before in the report.)

There is a nice museum at Lexington and a lot of historic home to view.

[​IMG]

Mound City to Higginsville is 170 miles. There are plenty of places to stay in Higginsville. The city does run a small campground.

Missouri had so much more to see then what I have shown on this route. I could have made this route 3 or 4 times longer and still not seen there would still be great roads and sites missed.

Please don't hesitate to drop me a note if I can assist with a trip to Missouri. As mentioned I have spent my career driving the state and visiting historical, cultural and natural areas.
  14. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    Throughout the rr I mentioned flooding. We forded where we could. Someplaces were too deep. Here was a place I started across but had to turn around when it got too deep and I was not halfway across.

15. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    Jack, if you have not ridden the Loess Hills Scenic Byway that would be a great connecting route to Missouri.
  16. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There used to be some big plantation type homes in Lexington Mo. My wife’s family is from there. I remember touring a home there (this was in late 70s) that still had slave quarters behind the home. It was like stepping back into another time and place.. Not usually associated with central Missouri.
    Great RR. Hope to ride some of it this fall.
    Thx
    ajayhawkfan likes this.
  17. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    Thanks for following along.
    MizzouRider likes this.
  18. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    Get_Bent sent me this.

yosso likes this.
  19. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great report.

I grew up in St. Louis but had lots of family down around Bonne Terre and spent a lot of time there hanging out on back roads.

I left 50 years ago to live in New Mexico. But I have lived in MN for the past few years and have been looking into doing some riding back in MO.

This looks like a great master plan to work from.
    Themastermike likes this.
  20. ajayhawkfan

ajayhawkfan Rock Chalk

Oddometer:
    Thanks for reading and commenting.

Where in MN? My wife is from the Twin Cities so we are up there all the time.