Missouri Adventure Riders Thread

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by ThumperDRZ, Jun 7, 2007.

1. dgjackson40

dgjackson40 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure you probably won’t have a cell signal out there but I will ride out maybe Tuesday evening see if I can locate you and try and show you some new scenery. Just got back from kayaking lower Black River tonight. I live just outside Piedmont off 49 so just a quick trip to SamA.
  2. bryce1552

bryce1552 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Made it out to my first trackday MCRA runs at Gateway, hell of a time nothing but nice riders including a guy who rode a GS to the track, taped his lights and absolutely ripped. Totally recommend it to anyone super nice people and coaches and you can bring whatever and run it in the novice group as long as you swap out your anti-freeze and tape the lights. I had no idea what I was doing going in and I feel like I learned more in one day than I did in years of street riding.

IMG_3955.jpg IMG_3930.jpg IMG_3967.jpg
    GotFog, redneckK20 and justdirtyfun like this.
  3. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey guys the MTRA Show Me 200 DS and 500 ADV rides are coming up soon. We'd love to see some of you there.
    We've totally changes the Sat. DS course, much tamer that in the past but still plenty of single track. This is stuff that can only be ridden at this event, not worn out stuff like Chadwick and Flat River. The ADV ride is two full days of Missouri's lesser traveled roads. Camping and meals included.
    Questions? Contact me.
    http://www.ridemtra.com/events---show-me-200-and-500.html
  4. JonnyH913

JonnyH913 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wish I was able to do the Show Me this year sieg.. I will be down in Arkansas camping for a friends bachelor party that weekend..
  5. Scott in Missouri

Scott in Missouri I'm fast but I ain't no BigDog!!!

Oddometer:
    9D939557-FA73-4F0B-866D-C44F82A21934.jpeg 558F6EAA-E723-4C85-9C22-6F6A57357F03.jpeg Great day with Tony K today. I thought I was following a 26 year old on a KTM 690 not a 76 year old on a KLR. Old Tony is crazy fun!!!
    Runs every stop sign/Speeds/Passes on double yellow....and those are his good qualities!!!
    Went early after the storm cleared and waited at the Mobil in Steelville. Met with 9 guys for three days in the woods and Camping at Alley Springs.
  6. mo_rider

mo_rider the dude abides Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey sieg... Going to try to make the 200 this year. Is the 200 ride just Saturday or is it Sunday too?
    sieg likes this.
  7. sieg

Oddometer:
    Both the 200 and 500 are two days rides, different routes each day. And you can ride one day of the 200 and one day of the 500 if you want. You can camp Friday before and Sunday night after too.
  8. Timps27

Timps27 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rode Charrette Creek today, not a bad road but had hoped for a little more gnarl and length. It was a peaceful Sunday ride nonetheless.

64CAA04B-5EE7-4814-B2C3-B1DFADB0DAA6.jpeg
  9. severely

severely almost a noob

Oddometer:
    So, reading the info from MTRA they advise against 690 KTM's on the 200. What size/type is recommended? I'm thinking of riding my DR-650 or should I look at the 500?
    sieg likes this.
  10. sieg

Oddometer:
    The 200 is more for plated dirt bikes. Someone rode it with a KLR once but it and the rider were beat at the end. I've seen a few DRZs and WRRs on the course. If you're good you could get a DR 650 though it. I'm sure I could........but I'm smarter than that, I use a 350 EXC. If you can race a Hare Scramble on your DR then you'll be ok. Otherwise not so much. There's a LOT of single track, gnarly single track, 32 inch bang the bars single track. A lot, as in, most of, this is on private property that we hand cut the trail and is only ridden for this event. Saturday has some public ATV trail, some gravel and two track and about 1/4 single track. Sunday is 80 miles of single track with some road connectors.
    If you want to give it a go you'll know within 5 miles if you can make it. You can always abort and ride the 500.
    The 500 is just the least traveled gravel road and forest 2 track that I could legally find, with a couple questionable Big Boy sections that are optional. About 200 miles a day with shortcuts for normal people and Saturday has a 50 mile bonus section that you can add if 200 miles ain't enough. I'll be there early you can come down Thursday and I'll show you some of the course.
    MizzouRider and severely like this.
  11. severely

severely almost a noob

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the quick reply. Sounds like the 500 is more inside my wheelhouse.
    sieg likes this.
  12. sieg

Oddometer:
    Be sure to look me when you get there?
  13. cfootball73

cfootball73 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_2691.jpg

It’s too bad they keep tearing down and replacing all the swinging bridges around the Ozarks.
    MizzouRider, dflow and Timps27 like this.
  14. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just got back from 4,700 miles of MT, ID, WY, and CO. There were a few times I was wishing I had more off the the tarmac capabilities, but for the most part it was a blast. Glacier, Lolo, Hells Canyon, around Lander, Trail Ridge Rd. My retirement “get away from it all” trip.
    IMG_2009.jpg IMG_2045.jpg IMG_2069.jpg
    IMG_2057.jpg
    IMG_2066.jpg
    zoid, RJAMT, ROYAL COACHMAN and 12 others like this.
  15. jowannab

jowannab Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great PICS............
    MizzouRider likes this.
  16. Midnightventure

Midnightventure -

Oddometer:
    Does the motorcycle advisory sign mean watch for motorcycles or does it mean that the road is hazardous for motorcycles?
    MizzouRider likes this.
  17. bryce1552

bryce1552 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jealous of that goldwing, on my last cross country trip I was wishing for more on tarmac abilities after my first 700 mile day. Just can't bring myself to buy one at 24, the newer models are so boss.

Just have to keep pumping the 401k I guess.
    MizzouRider likes this.
  18. MarkM

MarkM Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sure would love to ride in the 500 but we'll be riding the Utah BDR instead. Maybe next year.
  19. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m guessing just a warning to motorcyclists to watch for curves. (Just a guess). That’s the second part of Lolo pass it’s a total of 120 miles of curves. As you leave aIdaho and go back into Montana they have the sign posted. Montana has a more genre speed limit.

o

The bike is the CTX 1300. It’s a poor mans goldwing. They only made them in 2014. It was a flop because they were over priced and were missing some GW goodies. (Cruise control, stereo, and others). These are a steal right now. I found this one on cycletrader for $6500, with 5,000 miles on it. I’ve already doubled the miles. It was like new. Honda discontinued them, and the prices went through the floor. It’s the V4 engine and transmission from the ST bikes, so it’s proven very reliable. Runs cooler than my GS.. Pretty comfortable. Needs grip heaters, I didn’t get them added before I left. It’ll run 85 all day long. My old butt welcomes the gas stops. (Only 150 miles per tank at that speed, otherwise about 200) There are still some new ones at some dealers from 14. The one at St Charles Motorsports has been used and abused.
    bryce1552 likes this.
  20. Oh2RideMore

Oh2RideMore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Planning another mid-sept cobdr and utbdr ride. close enough, and family and friends along route. Looking for another rider to join in the fun. Camping whole way. You are welcome to grab a room along the way. 2300 miles or so in two weeks. Mud, rain, sand, and mountains of course. Who is in? Such a wonderful ride.
    MizzouRider, mo_rider and sieg like this.