Missouri Tag-o-Rama

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by xathor, Oct 5, 2009.

1. GotFog

GotFog Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    MizzouRider likes this.
  2. MizzouRider

MizzouRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have seen part of this before. I haven’t thought about it in a while. I’ll have to check it out. I think some of it runs by our farm up in Ralls County. Near the town of Center MO. I’ll have to download the tracks. Thanks for the reminder.
    GotFog likes this.
  3. MizzouRider

Oddometer:
    Got it, but I don’t have a replacement so it’s still in play. Came up 61 to Eolia. Cut over to 79, Louisiana Mo great road. Took 79 up to Ilasco (just south of Hannibal) more good riding.
    The jail.
    IMG_2130.JPG
    The scoop
    IMG_2131.JPG
    Yep,, he’s in there..
    IMG_2129.JPG
    GotFog likes this.
  4. MizzouRider

Oddometer:
    Ok, new tag is located in a small town between Bowling Green MO and Hannibal. It is right off of the Ave Of The Saints. You’ll have to take the trail behind the gas station as you come into town to find it.
    IMG_2164.JPG
    yosso likes this.
  5. MizzouRider

Oddometer:
    If anyone needs a clue to the last tag.. Let me know. Hopefully there’s more than two guys following this.. Ha
  6. Oh2RideMore

Oh2RideMore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wish I would have known that jail was up that way, camped at cuivre river last weekend and rode up to hannibal via mrt. Went right past that site, and the new tag.
    MizzouRider likes this.
  7. MizzouRider

Oddometer:
    Bump.. I don’t like being the thread killer. Anyone need a hint??
  8. GotFog

Oddometer:
    Well, I’ll man up and admit, I probably need a clue.

Just got back from a big loop north. Thought I would go up north, along 61, and look for this tag. Been wanting to go up to Alexandria, MO, for a while, so I thought I could kill two birds with one stone...

Ok, went through Frankfort, first town north of Bowling Green. Quiet little town, hanging by a thread economically. Gas station in town is cash only, and one grade of gas. Lots of flags hanging with former Frankford area residents, killed in action, serving our country. Very somber ride through town, how lucky I am to bask in this freedom they gave so much to protect. I left without spying a caboose, but a reality check none the least.

Next town up was New London. Went through town, and along the East side of 61, and again no Caboose. I did not go over to the West side, near Loves, so that might be my mistake. I headed into Hannibal and decided to take 79 south along the river, the fall air and clear skies to alluring. Glad I did, as the road is freshly paved, not even stripped yet. Saw only about half a dozen riders all morning.

In Clarksville, the town seems to be faultering into bankruptcy. Very few stores or shops open, and the one tiny gas station had no gas. The coolers inside were warm, and the young lady who ran the place looked like she hadn’t slept nor bathed for a week. Bought what I could in there, and went on home.

Ended up being a bittersweet day, blessed on the one hand and painfully obvious of those less fortunate. So I did not find the caboose, but found a great ride, eye-opening for sure. Gotta leave for work, maybe try again later this week, unless some others begin to participate.

Take care
    MizzouRider likes this.
  9. MizzouRider

Oddometer:
    I should have left a better clue. Because it appears that you and I may be the only players.
    Your first stop was the one. Stay on the west side of 61, and head back south towards the old part of town. I may have mentioned a small trail leading away from the only little gas station in town. (Which you go by as soon as you come into town) You can hardly tell the little trail is there. It appears to be the old rail line, just converted to a gravel trail. It may have a post in the middle to discourage automobile traffic. Still open enough though for a GSA. Some local high school kids had to give me directions. I stopped them as they were walking home from the bus.
    It’s not too far from Bowling Green.. Hope you get back up there. Weather looks good except for Fri. Temps in the 30s!
    yosso and GotFog like this.
  10. GotFog

Oddometer:
    Damn:
    I sat there in that parking lot and looked all over.

How did you find it to begin with?
    MizzouRider likes this.
  11. MizzouRider

Oddometer:
    I had seen the caboose when I went through in the winter. So I knew there was one in town somewhere. I circled around that town for quite a while before I spotted the kids getting off the bus.
    They probably thought I was some kind of sicko.
    They had to think a while before they remembered the trail back to it. Otherwise it’s a mystery to me how you get to it. But there are houses around it. They’ve got to get back there somehow.
    GotFog likes this.
  12. GotFog

Oddometer:
    ok. I see it now in google earth. if noone grabs it i hope to get it friday or so.
    MizzouRider likes this.
  13. MizzouRider

Oddometer:
    You’ll have to grab the St Louis area tag also! ;)
  14. GotFog

Oddometer:
    Well just a quick 20 mins and i can get it. Been hoping others would engage being so accessible. Maybe too easy? :wings

Weather being awesome I believe it will be gone soon.:beer
    MizzouRider likes this.
  15. GotFog

Oddometer:
    Well, maybe not this weekend...
    I get back into STL on Thursday and I just realized that the Gateway Oct rally is this weekend, and I would like to take the tent and go to Potosi. The schedule just works for me to make this rally and great time if year to ride in the MT forest.
  16. MizzouRider

Oddometer:
    Cool. I didn’t realize it was this weekend. I may come down. Won’t be camping, but see what’s going on. I’ve been to a few other Falling Leaf Rallies. Fairgrounds in Potosi, right?
  17. GotFog

Oddometer:
    Yes I think so. I haven't camped for awhile so will take this opportunity.
    MizzouRider likes this.
  18. MizzouRider

Oddometer:
    Stay warm & dry. Looks better tomorrow.
  19. GotFog

Oddometer:
    tag: Franfort MO. Behind the gas station
    20191014_121308.jpg

new tag:
    20191014_163146.jpg
    This one must be earned. West of Frankfort. A National Wildlife Refuge. Worlds largest Goose lives nearby.
    yosso and MizzouRider like this.
  20. MizzouRider

Oddometer:
    Did you follow the trail from the gas station? I thought it was neat, but almost made it impossible to find..
    I’ll check out the new tag. I hope it isn’t as far west as I think it might be. I better get it before someone from KC grabs it. Ha!

Edit. Is this Silver Lake south and east of St Louis? I was way off!