Mitas E-07 Dakar Review after Alaska Trip

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by kevin g, Jul 17, 2017.

1. kevin g

kevin g Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I returned Saturday from San Diego to Alaska to San Diego and the Mitas E-07 Dakar tires I decided on made the whole 11,034 mile trip.

These tires worked great for me on my 2011 GS Adventure. A rode solo and had 90-100 pounds of gear plus my BMW panniers and Givi Trekker top box. In all, that was about 120-130 pounds in addition to my 210 lb. (with riding gear) carcass. The sizes are 150/70-17 rear and 110/80-19 front

The tires worked well on twisty roads, in the rain, and on gravel roads. I rode the Dalton highway, the Denali highway, the road to McCarthy and some other short dirt/gravel excursions.

My dirt riding experience in my entire life was less than 100 miles, but after a bit of thought and practice I was pretty confident on these tires when off road. After about 10k miles I was on a road in Oregon that had pretty deep gravel and it was a bit scary but I don' t know if it was the tire wear or just the deep gravel. I crossed quite a few of the steel grate bridges on the trip and they always scared the shit out of me, then add a cross wind.

When new the rear tire had 12mm of tread and the front 6.5mm. After 11,034 miles the rear has 4mm of tread and the front a little more than 4mm. I have not tried the Heidenau K60 so I cannot compare them. The tires do howl at speed but I wear ear plugs and play music in my helmet speakers so who cares about howling.

The front tire lost a few pounds of air every few days and had to be topped off, the rear was more consistent. I stopped reducing air pressure after Dan Armstrong, in Fairbanks, said it was not a good idea and not necessary. I was there because the guy I was with needed a new rear tire.

I will not hesitate to put these tires on again for trips involving dirt/street riding.
  2. RunninRanger

RunninRanger Rainy day Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    If Mitas builds these tires for the water cooled bikes, I'll be next in line. Meanwhile, the Michelin Wilds I'm riding are impressing me everyday. Friday I rode through hail and a white squall of a rainstorm through the White Mountains of northern Az. Hwy 60 between Globe and Show Low through the Salt River canyon. 101° going down over melting tar-snakes and an inch and a half of rail and hail (66°) on the return. The Wilds held true on wet and dry asphalt.
    I doubt they'll get your mileage but for now they are what I'll ride.
    TomAZ1983 and Grizzer65 like this.
  3. Mcgee

Mcgee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info on the tires! I have been running the K60's and really like them, but am looking for something different. This review helps.
  4. Grizzer65

Grizzer65 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agonized over the Mitas E7 and E10 in both the standard and the Dakar. I ended up going with the TKC 80's on my 2017 GSA after talking with a trusted vendor that has put a lot of miles on the TKC's. He has never tried the Mitas tires. Rawhyde riding school replaced the TKC's with the Mitas's. Not the exact size for my bike but I heard they are coming out with the correct sizes late summer. This will be my next set!!! Cheers!!!
    RunninRanger likes this.
  5. taz_va

taz_va Long timer

Oddometer:
    What was the cause of losing air frequently?
    jam_nut likes this.
  6. Jbrjbr21

Jbrjbr21 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know the cause but it is so common I've read that some people run tkc 80 on the front and mitas rear.
  7. RunninRanger

RunninRanger Rainy day Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I suspect Mitas Dakar, like K60 Scouts, have stiff sidewalls. They both run nearly flat with little wrinkle. Thus less pliable hence more potential for air leaks at the bead.
    ....that's my 2 cents from running both tires.
    Oddly the Michelin Wilds have an kevlar belt as well one polyester and don't leak. It has to be that third sidewall belt?!
  8. TS888

TS888 Deer dodger Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got the E07 on the rear and the MC60 (sadly discontinued) on the front. Love them. And, they amaze me at how well they hold air. After 2 weeks parked, no air loss. The Michelin Anakees I had before would lose 3-4 psi a week. Great on gravel and dirt, and as good as anything on a 500 lb bike can be in mud. Even have done a little snow. Not recommending that... :doh

I guess I'm deaf, or the earplugs are good, or the 1150 is just loud, because I don't hear any excess noise from the tires.
  9. Lordendo

Lordendo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting - I've got E-07s front and rear on my 950 and have also had some pressure loss in the front. I do a lot of off-road though some my rim is not so pretty but it's true!

The E07s I find a bit squirrelly on the flat groomed service roads. But everything is dry here in Kamloops so not surprising. My 350 with knobbies is worse. Where I'm impressed is that the tires perform really well in the rough gnarly stuff. Grips well on rocks, single and double track they've performed better thank I expected given that they're 50/50.
  10. taz_va

taz_va Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd be worried if it was common to have wheels lose air. That's abnormal to me. It's not like it's an aftermarket wheel where they had to seal the spoke line on the wheel, and it's losing air through a bum seal. Bent wheel perhaps?
  11. Jbrjbr21

Oddometer:
    It's not the wheel, switching tires would not solve the problem if that was the case.
  12. taz_va

taz_va Long timer

Oddometer:
    But that's my point.. if a tire loses air, that's abnormal to me. It shouldn't be normal for a tire to lose air. Much less the wheels.
  13. Jbrjbr21

Oddometer:
    Maby a language barrier, people have posted they do not run Mitas on the front because they don't hold air, even though the rears are good. So they like TkCs. Up front. I quoted you saying "......common to have WHEELS lose air" maby you meant tires?
  14. taz_va

taz_va Long timer

Oddometer:
    For some speakers of english, wheels can refer to the entire assembly (the rim+tire) or just the rim. I was meaning it in the former, that it seems odd for the entire assembly to be losing air. I meant it in this fashion because I wasn't sure if it was the rim or the tire at fault, or both.

I'm presuming it's got to do with the bead on this particular tire.
  15. rattis

rattis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mitas are nice.
  16. kevin g

kevin g Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just checked the pressure in the front tire and it is at 31psi; ten days ago I set it to 36psi. The slow loss of pressure continues and is a bit of an irritant but the tires sure perform well. I cannot say that I have felt much difference in handling as the pressure changes. These are the Dakar version so maybe the stiff side wall makes up for the pressure differences.
  17. Mcgee

Mcgee Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, I bit the bullet and will have some 07's installed Monday. (the Dakars) I ran K60's before and really liked them except they seemed kinda hard. Lasted along time tho. My question is for you guys that have been using them, what air pressure should I use? Both loaded and not. I usually carry about 100 lbs of gear and my weight is 220 lbs. Thanks for your replies!
  18. TS888

TS888 Deer dodger Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you get the Dakar carcass or regular? I run the mfr rec pressure on my 1150GSA (32/36 for one up), with regular E07 rear and MC60 front. The Dakars are stiffer, so from what I hear less sensitive to pressure. As in you can have a flat rear tire and maybe not notice until you hit pavement.
  19. SOUP

SOUP Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_4323.JPG 14k on the front of an "06. I spooned on a new one because I got tired of waiting on the old one to wear out.
  20. Cdiggy

Cdiggy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure how you guys are getting this kind of mileage out of your tires. I won't get 6000 out of the Mitas E07 front I just installed. These roads in the Yosemite area tear the ass out of my tires.
    jeffm777 and TriumphRTO like this.